Transmission Cooler

captainsae

My brother's 95 Pathfinder's tranny just blew out at about 150,000 miles. Since my '95 Pathfinder has about 140,000 miles on it, I've decided to install a cooler. After doing some research on the net, I learned that it's just as bad to have your transmission running too cold as it is to have it running too hot. Why would this be? How do you know the best cooler for our cars? I found out that B&M uses a fluid bypass system which alows the tranny to warm up based on the thickness of the fluid so I'm leaning towards that one. Any suggestions?

When I installed mine(which is now for sale on ebay) I put it between the fan and the radiator inside the fan shroud because I was told that optimum tranny temp is about the same as the water temp.

I had a gauge on my auto tranny that pretty much always read 170f - 190f.

I've since swapped over to a 5speed... Now I'm much happier with the whole thing. :beer:

"I'd look here... http://npora.ipbhost.com//index.php?act=Search&f=6"

I already did that! And nothing relating to the tranny running too cool came up. In fact, nothing about a B&M cooler with a by-pass came up. That is when I posted about 1. the B&M unit and 2. the thought that that a transmission running too cool can be just as bad as one that runs too hot. At least I thought they were pretty important topics to cover before I bothered to do the install. If anyone has any info on these things, please chime in.

In all the tranny cooler posts I've read never once heard of anyone having problems because the tranny fluid was to cold. Mine is right in front of the radiator and we had some bone chilling temps when I left out of NY and I didn't have any problems.

I have a pretty huge tranny cooler on mine mounted to the back of the radiator (which has cardboard in front of it right now) and it's been down in the negatives a few times here and I didn't see a problem, seemed to drive/shift just fine.

• 1 month later...

there is a whole thread about tranny coolers in the product review section. You have to filter for date topics and it will show up because it's older than 60 days. 88, is there a way to make that default thread display time as 'since the beginning?

Guest SuperSon
Has anyone pics with installation of AT cooler, and more information about accesories required to install it.?

Thanks.

Heres mine

tcool.jpg

trans2.jpg

Guest SuperSon

Yeah.all it is is a 3/4 aluminum flat bar I got from Home depot for $7.00. Easy to drill and bend

heres a pic of the top bracket

tbracket.jpg

Good pictures.

Although, how can I recognize which it is the out line from AT ? and, What specifications of coolers I shall to use to buy them (dimensions, material)?

The average temperature where I live is 38ºC (100 ºF) and 80% humidity, so I think I am needing those coolers.

My Pathy is a SEV6 AT 93.

Thanks,

Edited by WRL69

Incorrect, the orientation of the lines does matter on stacked plate coolers as if they are inproperly routed it can cause poor flow problems and air pockets in the system. Like if the output is lower then the input.

Orientation does not matter on tube and fin coolers.

Stacked plate coolers are more effecient then tube and fin.

Get the largest plate-type cooler you can find, and the lines don't matter, coolers will flow either direction.
Edited by blamtro

Can someone show me which side is the input and which is the output, then? They're not marked and the kit I opened up and looked at in the auto parts store has nothing whatsoever about in/out lines in the instructions. Why would it matter? They're completely symmetrical.

88, its not really which tube you are connecting to on the cooler that matters, but which one is higher. If you have the input to the cooler above the output, fluid flow is going to be fighting the rising air displaced once the cooler is filled. The cooler will flow both ways, but if the fluid "rises" in the cooler with the air, it will automatically purge all the air from it, as long as there is not a pocket above the horizontal level of the output.

Can someone show me which side is the input and which is the output, then? They're not marked and the kit I opened up and looked at in the auto parts store has nothing whatsoever about in/out lines in the instructions. Why would it matter? They're completely symmetrical.

• 4 weeks later...

Nope. It should be just fine.

88, its not really which tube you are connecting to on the cooler that matters, but which one is higher. If you have the input to the cooler above the output, fluid flow is going to be fighting the rising air displaced once the cooler is filled.

With the trans fluid flowing through that sucker at 40 psi, I highly doubt any "air pockets" will stay there long. Ford Exploder coolers are mounted with the input/outputs on the bottom. Stock. I REALLY doubt this idea.