Transmission Cooler

captainsae

Nope. It should be just fine.

With the trans fluid flowing through that sucker at 40 psi, I highly doubt any "air pockets" will stay there long. Ford Exploder coolers are mounted with the input/outputs on the bottom. Stock. I REALLY doubt this idea.

I did some experiments in Frankenvan, and I verified it did happen.

I have the biggest B&M plate style in there, and the only place it fit nicely was having it with both fittings down. After a couple thousand miles, about 3/4 of it was full of air. To test, I started her cold and laid my hand on the cooler. After a few minutes, I could feel the bottom 1/4 or so warming up due to fluid in it, but the top did not. I drilled a hole in the top and installed a fitting with a plug. Fired up again, cracked the fitting and could hear air escaping. Replaced the plug with a new outlet fitting and plugged the old outlet.

Shouldn't make any difference. The coolant, and tranny fluid run through separate flutes within the rad. If anything, not having to cool as much fluid (less heat radiating through it) should make it more efficient.

Shouldn't make any difference. The coolant, and tranny fluid run through separate flutes within the rad. If anything, not having to cool as much fluid (less heat radiating through it) should make it more efficient.

Yep Yep.

• 4 years later...

If you are concerned about "cold" running with the Tranny or Engine, use "Lucas" or some other appropriate additive that provides a protective coating to the metals making things run more efficiently and less wear and tare cold or hot.