Anyone have any home remedy to remove wiper marks from windshield?

ahardb0dy

Anyone know of any home remedies to remove wiper marks from the windshield? I know I can get a glass polishing kit from Eastwood.com, wanted to see if anyone has any other ideas, (besides replacing it).

Thanks

Wiper marks on glass as in wipers turned on without wiper blades installed?

Turtle wax or similar and a buffer can sometimes get some of it out. Have had some moderate results before doing that.

I wonder if 8000 or 10000 grid sandpaper wet sanding would work. I will ask the detail shop tomorrow if they have any tricks.

Edited by Alkorahil

I don't think the marks are from having no wiper blades installed, the marks look whiteish, I tried some really fine steel wool and polish but it didn't do anything.

you can see the marks in this picture:

28hg293.jpg

Edited by ahardb0dy

just wear marks. my original front windsheild has WAY too many tiny scratches from the many years... when the sun hits it just right :O my wiper marks arent that bad tho. but thats what happens when you have many contact point wipers. :(

I have similar marks on my windshield, but I haven't tried to remove them yet. As someone who works with optics (not usually glass though) I suspect some of the previous suggestion are on track. You probably want to try an aluminum oxide slurry or a diamond paste. These two will polish glass, but that is assuming there is on exterior coating. I have some slurry in the garage, but I won't have time to experiment for days.

I just used the scratches as one of the reasons to offer less than asking price to the PO...

B

Be careful, easy to make it worse if you use something too coarse... but go too fine and you won't remove enough material. I believe the final (most fine) polish can be done with a cerium oxide slurry.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cerium+oxide+windshield

Edited by sewebster

• 2 weeks later...

I was told that to test to see if your glass can be polished it to run your fingernail over it, if you can fell grooves and bumps with your fingernail then it will require some heavy polishing (probably more work than worth it) But if it cant be felt with the fingernail then you can polish it out.

Those scratches are from running wipers that are broken or so worn that the metal parts start scraping against the windshield. My old truck had them and I could never remove them until I changed the glass :(

That would be my buddy I bought the PF from, he's the type who doesn't do anything to any vehicle until it breaks, after they swapped the engine in the first time him and the neighbor put the torsion bars back in, and I guess never set the height properly, the one side was so low it caused the tire to wear out bald on one edge, and he drove it like that until the engine broke again and than I bought it.