What's wrong with this picture?

k9sar

ok. For those of you who have dealt with shocks before (these are the originals), I need some input.

These are ride-adjustable shocks that were original on the truck. I have no idea how they actually work other than I push a little button by my console and the ride stiffens or relaxes depending on the sport or comfort selection.

I did a poor-mans lift using heavy JGC springs and got a good 3" of lift.

Ever since I did the lift, the comfort/sport select switch has been kind-of illuminated and unresponsive so I guess they didn't want to be extended an extra 3 inches or I buggered something up when I was under there.

I don't care if I have an adjustable ride on a 16 year old truck and haven't had the ability to change it for years now.

so... with that said....

I need a recommendation on shocks or some guidance on how to get some. Do I get a set based on the year and model, just like any other replacement part? Do I try to get a longer shock since it has lift? How might I do so? Do I HAVE to replace with the adjustable ones or can I go with ones that are non-adjustable (and significantly cheaper)?

and... timely responses would be appreciated so I can get an order into rockauto so I have them by Saturday.

Thanks

You definitely don't need to get adjustable ones, in fact, it would be hard to get some that actually worked with the oem system.

I am not a shock expert, but generally the shocks don't care what part of their range they are sitting in, as long as they don't reach the limit of travel during suspension motion. I guess that probably isn't super helpful.

I know that some shock manufacturers list acceptable lift ranges for their stuff. I think when I got some cheap rancho (5000 series?) they said they were good to 2.5 or 3" I think. I have only 1" lift so it's pretty much irrelevant and I think any shock would work for me. These rancho ones seem fine, probably a bit stiff (could be good or bad depending on your preference).

ok. For those of you who have dealt with shocks before (these are the originals), I need some input.

These are ride-adjustable shocks that were original on the truck. I have no idea how they actually work other than I push a little button by my console and the ride stiffens or relaxes depending on the sport or comfort selection.

I did a poor-mans lift using heavy JGC springs and got a good 3" of lift.

Ever since I did the lift, the comfort/sport select switch has been kind-of illuminated and unresponsive so I guess they didn't want to be extended an extra 3 inches or I buggered something up when I was under there.

I don't care if I have an adjustable ride on a 16 year old truck and haven't had the ability to change it for years now.

so... with that said....

I need a recommendation on shocks or some guidance on how to get some. Do I get a set based on the year and model, just like any other replacement part? Do I try to get a longer shock since it has lift? How might I do so? Do I HAVE to replace with the adjustable ones or can I go with ones that are non-adjustable (and significantly cheaper)?

and... timely responses would be appreciated so I can get an order into rockauto so I have them by Saturday.

Thanks

Seriously??

Yes, get longer shocks and don't bother with EOM adjustable.

Here...

B

Seriously??

Yes, get longer shocks and don't bother with EOM adjustable.

Here...

B

yes, seriously. mainly cause it was a long day, I was tired, didn't feel like searching and pretty much knew the answer but wanted a sounding board. :whistle:

I went with sensa-track, just cause they have a lifetime warranty from napa, but you cant go wrong with rancho either. Just depends what you want.

You will regret that decision if you take it offroad much. They get real soft after about 20k. I found the front end boucned way too much on the trails.

i like the rancho 5112's. I have 5124's on the front to match. You gain a little more rear articulation with them and they provide a decent ride. I don;'t know if you had a 3" body lift, but if you do, you will have to figure out how to lower the parking brake anchors on the body so they don't stretch with your new found articulation.

The factory adjustable shocks were charged with a metallic liquid that would get stiffer depending on how strong of an electric current that passes through it. At least that's how I think they worked. :scratchhead:

I don;'t know if you had a 3" body lift, but if you do, you will have to figure out how to lower the parking brake anchors on the body so they don't stretch with your new found articulation.

Rear disc can swap axles left to right to gain more parking brake reach. MY NON body lifted pathy needs that with my SL.

Edited by MY1PATH

• 2 weeks later...

You will regret that decision if you take it offroad much. They get real soft after about 20k. I found the front end boucned way too much on the trails.

Yeah I just put them in last year and they all went soft, so I went and get them replaced for free until I can buy better ones.

Yeah I just put them in last year and they all went soft, so I went and get them replaced for free until I can buy better ones.

if they sell sensa-trac's, they should sell rancho's. monroe makes them both. see if they'll do a warranty return on your monroe's and let you pay the difference for the rancho's.

That's a good idea, I got them from napa and now they are corporate and not locally owned so chances are I think they will when I talk to them. They had my shocks in actually and they never have anything Nissan in stock ever.