SE XE LE?

MAXEDpath

That is interesting, where did you find this information?

Interestingly, I still have the original sales brochure for my '97. It says:

Turning diameter - curb-to-curb

XE 35.4 ft (37.4 ft with XE Sport Package)

SE 37.4 ft

LE 35.4 ft

Turns - lock-to-lock:

XE 3.2 turns

SE 3.0 turns

LE 3.2 turns

So, I guess to test this, you start with the wheel straight, turn full left. If the wheel is exactly upside-down (1.5 turns or 540° rotated) at full lock, then you have an SE steering rack. If the wheel is slightly MORE than 1.5 turns, you have an XE or LE rack.

• 2 years later...

I know this is old but I'm wondering what I have as well. Chrome bumpers,4wd, sunroof , flares, cloth interior, manual, roof rack, no rear spoiler or rear tire carrier. Mime came with aftermarket wheels so I don't know if it had alloys before.

I know it's not an le. So I'm wondering if it's se, xe or chilkoot. It's a canadian 1998.

Easiest way to tell is to see if you have the orange "Use LSD oil only" sticker on your rear diff cover. You can also lift the rear wheels off of the ground and spin one of the wheels. If the opposite wheel spins the opposite direction you have LSD.

Edited by devonianwalk

Easiest way to tell is to see if you have the orange "Use LSD oil only" sticker on your rear diff cover. You can also lift the rear wheels off of the ground and spin one of the wheels. If the opposite wheel spins the SAME direction you have LSD.

Fixed it for ya.

Interestingly, I still have the original sales brochure for my '97. It says:

Turning diameter - curb-to-curb

XE 35.4 ft (37.4 ft with XE Sport Package)

SE 37.4 ft

LE 35.4 ft

Turns - lock-to-lock:

XE 3.2 turns

SE 3.0 turns

LE 3.2 turns

So, I guess to test this, you start with the wheel straight, turn full left. If the wheel is exactly upside-down (1.5 turns or 540° rotated) at full lock, then you have an SE steering rack. If the wheel is slightly MORE than 1.5 turns, you have an XE or LE rack.

Anyone know what the XE Sport Package consists of? I thought I had an SE (thought the XE had the unchromed steel wheels) because of having a rear LSD, 5-speed, 4wd, flares, rear spoiler, PW, PL, keyless entry, cruise, cloth interior. But, I have the chrome wheels like the OP, and original tire size 235/70/R15. So maybe it's either an optioned-out XE, or an "XE Sport Package?" Also, I used to have 31x10.5 BFG T/A KO's on it and only rubbed at full lock with the stock suspension.

Also, the VIN when I added it to my insurance pulled as an "SE."

Edited by linewar

There are a few combos I have never seen (sunroof in a XE, swing out tire carrier on a LE) but I believe others have. The VIN would be the best bet, so if it says SE I'd believe that. Does the sticker inside your driver door say 235/75/15? Maybe the door has been replaced?

Edited by Trogdor636

When I posted yesterday, I went outside and looked at the tag on the inside door of the glovebox. Door tag matches it, though.

Honestly, I could care less which one it is except for just plain old curiosity. It's 17 years old now, too old to find any satisfaction in its options or "status," and not old enough to be classic. Just a solid, reliable daily driver that has enough longevity left in it to justify modding it up. However, I do find Nissan's option packaging to be very ambiguous. Seems that the only one that was clear-cut was the LE - automatic trans only, leather, bells and whistles, etc. I think I read here that LE was the only way to get leather. (of course, now someone with an SE will post that they have leather and a 5-speed - which would be an awesome combo, IMO)

I think if I had been the original buyer, I would have picked an SE with a tire carrier, 5-speed, 4wd, and no sunroof. All the other goodies, though.

BTW, trogdor, I LOVE that poem in your sig. Hilarious.

Edited by linewar

See! Exactly what I mean! I have an SE with XE wheels, he has an LE with a 5-speed. . . what in the wide, wide world a sports is a goin on here?

I have no idea what's going on right now. . .

Edited by linewar