Installing an aftermarket stereo

Nick

Just wondering in the 87 Pathfinder where the heck the rear speaker wires run? Dunno if they changed from the manual but i cannot find them???? Having a real pain for they not hooked up and don't really want to bust the inide apart just of yet to find these 2 wires....

I need xray goggles :huh:

just run new wires... i just did it, took like 10 minutes per wire, just need to take off the peice of plastic running across where the door closes... its 4 screws, and it holds the carpet down. and then take off the rest of the panels and you should see it. i think it is easier to run new wires, because you can tuck theym away where you know where they are, incase you ever want to change them.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know where there are any wiring schematics/diagrams for the 95XE radio? I would like to know what the color coding is on the harness, like what colors represent the speakers and power and stuff like that. I want to replace my factory head unit because the LCD went out on it. Unless someone knows of a way to repair this problem. Thanks in advace for the help.

buy the wiring harness adapter for that truck, plugs right into the existing harness, no guessing or schematics involved. the wires on the harness will match up to any aftermarket head unit you buy. Any auto stereo place or even walmart, circuit city, bust buy etc.carries them, be careful, when i bought my first one for my 95 it was the wrong one, I had to return it for the one for the 94 (same as 95). I think you can find them for around 10-20 dollars.... good luck.

• 3 weeks later...
2. You can install the deck and also install new speakers. If you choose this way then I recommend to just bypass the amps (ie: removing them from the vehicle). Install your new deck and you will have to either run a new hot wire to the batter and a remote wire to the battery or you can find out which wires in the existing wire loom are the hot and remote and splice into them. After that you will need to run a short ground wire to any peice of metal that will do. Now installing the speakers. You have a choice of 4x6's in the front and 5x7's in the back although with minor cutting you can fit 6x9's in the back. You just need to pry the screens of the stock speakers, and then remove them. Now before you install your new speakers you first need to run new wires from the deck, to your new speakers, as you recall for this step we are bypassing the amp therefore you cannot use the existing wires. After you have installed all of your new wires you may now install your new speakers and put everything back together. Now turn on your stereo and listen to the great sounds of a job well done!

I hope that this has helped a little and if you are still stuck then please feel free to post a topic in the Garage section and someone would be glad to help you.

I am about to go to Option 2. When it's said "After that you will need to run a short ground wire to any peice of metal that will do.' I am assuming this means from the chassis of the new deck to a decent ground? I did notice when I pulled the old deck out it wouldn't work unless the mounting bracket was touching metal. I'll be using all new speakers and will be bypassing the stock amps. BTW this is on a 94.

BTW during my shopping for head units I came across a Clarion model that lists a feature "Amp cancelling circuit". I wonder if this refers to external speaker amps? Like dropping it's output power if it detects another amp? At any rate I didn't buy that particular model. But I did buy a Clarion.

• 2 months later...

Sorry for this.... where is the factory amp in a 1991 Pathie? There is a black box under the deck but it doesn't look like the one on my other 91 (steel and flat 2 harnesses). Did they move it somewhere else?

Thanks B

Hi guys, Just about to install some 6.5 inch components in the front doors of my 91 5dr terrano (terranos had 6.5in speakers factory :D )

I cant figure out how to remove the door panel, or more to the point, how to remove the door opener (I cant find any screws for it)

Does it just pull off or clips or what?

Thanks

Thanks, I've got the interior handle off now. Just wasnt sure if it was clipped, didnt want to break it :blink:

My 6.5 inch components are now half installed. Seems weird how the Jap versions had different sized speakers than the US ones.

• 2 weeks later...

So what will go in my 91 SE 4x4's front doors? Nissan head unit ET-4100 to be replaced, and there's an amp under it to go? Another amp in back? Pulled out the huge old cargo space wasters(they sounded good back when!) what will go in the side panels back there? I see there is a lot of wiring harness and stuff to move around and some mod, a shop has said 5 1/2' about all that would fit in the cutouts right over wheel wells. Would like components in front door. Thanks for any info.

What the crap?!! I tried getting power to the pink leads, nothing. Then I noticed that the black ground wire on the aftermarket harness goes nowhere. I wire in a ground, nothing. And if I have a wire from my battery to the amp leads my parking lights turn on!! WTF?

I'm still getting no sound and the "mute" light is flashing on my deck but its not muted. ARRGH!! :furious:

The deck has worked fine in the last two vehicles I've had it in.

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hey guys,

Putting new head unit/speakers into my 97XE, and i got a couple questions.

1.) Where is the amp?

2.)How the hell do I get rid of/bypass the damn thing?

3.)Would rewiring the whole speaker system(running all new wires from the head to the speakers) be a major time and labor investment? I already got the door panels off, but i cant figure where the wiring's running from there.

Thanks for any help/advice

• 1 month later...

got a qustion

by chance does the speaker wireing go under the driver seat?

the reason i ask is, if i move in my seat (its a standard, i move a lot) the rear speaker goes on and off? not sure which side, but it goes on and off all the freaking way down the road.... i dont listen to the radio any more and its depresing.....

thanks

jon

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

Just thought I'd give a few words of encouragement from a newbie that just got his aftermarket head unit working.

I have an 89 SE Pathfinder, the prior owner's install was OK except for a lack of back speakers. So I installed an old panasonic CD head unit I had lying around. I used the wiring kit that was already installed.

There are two multi pin connectors to wire in: One for the power connections and front speakers, the other for the rear amp switching circuit and rear speakers. I was lucky that all my panasonic's harness wires matched the kit EXACTLY in color pattern.

The hassle was installing new rear speakers in the stock location. On my 89 I had to remove 2 and a half interior panels on each side:

all the panels are just held on by barbed connectors but DON'T just go yanking on your panels, they can crack. Instead, try to pop each connector out as close as gently as possible (a kitchen tablespoon can do WONDERS here)

First: the panel that spans from the cargo area past the rear seatback and into the passenger compartment needs to be pried off (hint: pop the rear part off, then flip the seat bottom up and pop the rest off.)

Second: Remove the top front seatbelt bolt from the A pillar

Third: Remove the bottom panel from behind the door (the one the seat belt runs through This one can be left connected at the bottom to save some hassle if you want

Fourth: remove the panel with the speaker grill (which was molded in on mine)

Fifth: remove the four screws and pull the speaker out, press the little flat button on the speaker T connector to release.

Sixth (if you're me): beer

Seventh (also if you're me): yank one connector out of the T connector with needle noses,

Eight: Install your 4x6's (I THINK that is the size) I used some old pioneers from the back deck of my valiant,

install everything in the reverse order, do it again for the other side and crank some tunes.

Regards,

Rick

Edited by darthValiant

• 1 month later...

I just swapped out my stock speakers and I found some new 3 way 5x7 clarions that were advertised as oem replacement fit, caution they will fit in the fronts but in the rears you'll need to get out the tin snips. It took me about an hour and a half to change out the speakers but man they sound insane. for those interested there the clarion 5730's.

• 5 months later...

After reading this forum a couple of times i havent been able to find a factory wiring diagram for the amps. I have a 94xe would like to use a diagram to unplug the amps and build a jumper harness for the speakers. Or is this even possible? i have done this on many other vehicles but not sure what they have for inputs but on the ones i have done had a +and- for each speaker in and out. just jumped between the two voila! Ne Help is greatly appreciated.

• 4 months later...

hello, this is for the R50's using stock amp and stock speakers.

my systems in my 97 sounded terrible when i bought the car with a crappy nextar head unit in it and the previous owner said it was professionally installed.. well those professionals cut the antenna plugs off instead of buying an adapter. went to the junk yard, found some and soldered them back on to my antenna wires and got a proper adapter

long story short.. wiring is simple and you can use the "remote on" blue with white stripe wire coming off the head unit (mine was a pioneer) to power your amp. sound is crisp and speakers (for stock) perform well.

hope this may help someone else.