"swishing" noise from engine

jammer

I searched past topics but didn't find anythying on this. I just bought another 95 Pathy (auto LE) and there is a noise that constantly comes from the engine compartment. The best way for me to discribe it is as a constant swishing noise. It isn't the manifold issue for sure. The nosie doesn't seem to increase but due to road noise ect you can't notice it at road spead but it is always there at idle. Warm, Cold, wet, dry doesn't matter.

Now I had the same sound in my other 95 from day one and the Nissan dealer could hear the sound but said it is was normal. Had to install a new engine (don't ask) and the new engine does not make the noise. So now I know my new one should not make the noise but can't figure it out. Any ideas?

Guest SuperSon

Mines does that too and I got the same response from nissan dealer "Its normal" Yeah right, Theres gotta be something in there thats causing that noise.It sounds like its sucking air big time around the plenum area.

I checked all my vacuum but come to think of it it cant be a vacuum leak making that noise.

It sounds like a K&N filter sucking air

Hopefully we can find out what this is. A crack on the plenum maybe?

Let me know what you find out and ill do the same

Guest SuperSon
Or maybe a leaking or blown gasket.

Never thought of that.Thanks for bringing that up man. Any way to tell for sure if its leaking besides that whirling noise? If I take it off I should have it powder coated red maybe :cool2:

Edited by SuperSon

Guest SuperSon

How hard is it to take the intake out on a 93 anyway?

Also on the EGR valve when I took it off to clean it is there suppose to be a gasket in there?

Ok guys...lets get back on topic here!

I did the smoke thing and there was no obvious movement of smoke. Even cleaned out enough of the garage to do it inside. I'm not sure if the sound I'm experiencing is the same as yours SuperSon as mine is more of a mehanical sound like a moving part needs lube ect. It has a beat to it (bear with me here as I don't know how else to discribe it) like two "swishes" every second. This makes me think it is something driven by a belt. As I said my first Pathy did it for 7 years so I don't think it's a big deal except it is noisy at idle.

I've tried like crazy to track it but can't figure it out. There has to be a fix as the new engine on Pathy #1 doesn't do it. It was the first thing I noticed when I picked up the truck from the garage.

Any ideas on a diagnosis proceedure?

Thanks.

Guest SuperSon

You might also want to check your water pump. If you remove your belts you can hold on to that pulley and spin it and make sure it doesnt have any play when you tug on it. If you have the belts out might as well check all the pulleys on your power sterring and alternator too. Just a suggestion :D

As far as my swishing sound I havent been out on the truck yet to do that smoke test but ill be replacing my pcv valve in a few here and do that test.

Ill let you know

Not a bad idea, that could at least rule a few things out. Like a worn belt, worn/problematic pulley, etc. Its easy and free.

Easy and free eh! The same way I like my dates!

Thanks for the good advice. Much appreciated! :aok:

I'll try pulling the belts tomorrow. Lets hope that finaly figures it out.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine does it too, well untill i pulled the A/C belt off and it stopped. Turns out the little tensioner pulley is either just noisy, worn, or needs lube. I figure its the culprit because the a/c belt is the only one with a tensioner on my 93.

Edited by redfinder