Door light on when door is closed - '94 Pathfinder

fastskier

This is a minor issue but it’s a pain in the @ss. Basically my truck always thinks that one of my doors is open. I have checked the two front door switches and they seem fine. Before I go tearing apart my truck looking for the short has anyone come across this before?

may be the tailgate. opent he hatch and take a little screwdriver and push the rubber slide switch up inside the latch mechanism. Should make interior lights go out etc.

can you be a little more specific about how you know the truck thinks a door is open? Is it the dash isiot light, the dome light on, the alarm not passively arming, etc?

Edited by k9sar

I have the same problem. I have replaced all four door push buttons. And it still gave me the same problem. I believe it is the three way switch assembly on the ceiling. I have fiddled with it before and got it to work for a while. But then a couple hours later the light is back on. So i just leave it off. Its on the bottom of my to do list. :confused: If you figure anything out let us know :beer:

Move the toggle switch on the light to the off position... Solved mine on all 3 pathfinders :hide:

Not that this is any help... Just what I did with the annoying little light....

Edited by Casey.T

• 1 year later...

Finally figured this out due to another post - turns out it is the rear latch for the rear hatch. I tried moving mine forwards (towards the windshield) but that didn't work. I then spaced it up with some 1/4 flat washers (plated) and it works like a charm. No more strobe lights at night from under my dash!!

This site rocks!

Finally figured this out due to another post - turns out it is the rear latch for the rear hatch. I tried moving mine forwards (towards the windshield) but that didn't work. I then spaced it up with some 1/4 flat washers (plated) and it works like a charm. No more strobe lights at night from under my dash!!

This site rocks!

can you explain that a little better I have the Idiot light on and The dome lights and Im pretty sure that its the hatch because i opend and closed all of the other doors and the lights got Dimmer so i think that it is either the hatch or the back glass.

Wouldn't be the back glass, no switch on that latch. For the hatch switch, he is making adjustments to the catch side on the truck.

I gave up and unplugged the wire from the switch in the latch.

Yep, the whole rear hatch is the problem usually. I think there used to be a plastic thing on the hoop/hook like on the doors, but if there was originally, it was long gone. I spent a couple years simply wrapping the hoop with a couple layers of electical tape and replacing every 6 months-1 year. Tried bending the hoop in a vice, with a hammer, etc. to get it to pull the door closed harder. I finally just slid in a washer per side on the bolts between the base of that hoop thing and the body, about 1/4" thick if that, and it works like a charm.

Edited by Mr. Pickles

Yep, the whole rear hatch is the problem usually. I think there used to be a plastic thing on the hoop/hook like on the doors, but if there was originally, it was long gone. I spent a couple years simply wrapping the hoop with a couple layers of electical tape and replacing every 6 months-1 year. Tried bending the hoop in a vice, with a hammer, etc. to get it to pull the door closed harder. I finally just slid in a washer per side on the bolts between the base of that hoop thing and the body, about 1/4" thick if that, and it works like a charm.

so you actually put the washers on the hoop (to make it longer?) that the latch catches not the switch? and how do you get into the back hatch do you have to take the door pannel off or can you get at it with out removing the pannel and if you have to remove the pannel how do you get that one off.

so you actually put the washers on the hoop (to make it longer?) that the latch catches not the switch? and how do you get into the back hatch do you have to take the door pannel off or can you get at it with out removing the pannel and if you have to remove the pannel how do you get that one off.

Just remove the hoop that's mounted to the body....slip a couple of washers on the bolts, under the loop, and then tighten it back down. Push it as far forward as possible as well, as that'll help keep the hatch closed tight. It should only take you about 5 minutes for this repair....no need to remove panels.

Just remove the hoop that's mounted to the body....slip a couple of washers on the bolts, under the loop, and then tighten it back down. Push it as far forward as possible as well, as that'll help keep the hatch closed tight. It should only take you about 5 minutes for this repair....no need to remove panels.

right!

I knew it...found out that my rear hatch doesnt close tight ..it might not have closed thight before and I think my spare tire carrier is whats keeping it thight but after removing my carrier now i noticed that my dome light is flickering too and went out to check it the darn rear hatch isnt shutting thight.I shimmed the hoop before and now I even doubled it and pushed it all the way towards the front and still not thight. Any ideas guys?

Edited by PATHRIDER

Might have to extend the holes on the loop bracket to get it to sit a bit further forward.

Edited by Simon

Thanks guys. Im gonna have to do that Simon.

The looseness is I canl pull it towards me Mz, So if I put a bump stop the gate would not sit flush anymore. I kinda know what youre saying ,Just like with the hood :D

got it snug and thight. What I did was centered the bolt on the elongated hole on the hoop.I thought for sure that it should suck the gate in when the hoop is moved all the way towards the front but it made it worst so I kinda moved that hoops back and forth and kept trying till I get it to where its thight...Nice and thight now:D