Trouble shifting out of Park

Guest cincicycles

Guest cincicycles

Hey everyone. I have an 01 with shifting troubles. When I get in, start it up and try to shift out of part into gear (any gear) half of the time it will not disengage from park. I have to play around with the brake pedal to get it out of gear. Stomp it a couple of times and it will finally release. Any suggestions on what it is?

Mine does it too, its like the brake just doesnt catch the thing somehow, just keep trying and it'll work. For me its normally in the early mornings before I go to work, I just cant seem to get out of park. And its a shifter problem, not a tranny problem, cause I *just* had mine rebuilt.

It's called a shift lock I think...prevents kids from knocking it into D while parked (so they say :D )

Sounds like whoever worked on your tranny messed something up. Was it doing it before the rebuild?

I'd bring it back to them and raise some hell...

Edited by navygz19

mine was doing this too. it actually got worse and worse over about 3 months until you pretty much had to use a screwdriver to shift from park.

like navy said, the shift lock solenoid - which moves a small lever allowing you to move the shifter - is not receiving the signal when you press the brake pedal. if you take the boot around the shifter off and press the brake, you can listen for the click and watch to see where the solenoid is. the click is the solenoid moving in and out. it is on the right side of the shifter. i think the part is maybe $90 or so. i used a plastic zip tie to hold the lever in the open position. this means that you can shift out of park without hitting the brake. i just make sure to use the parking brake. maybe i will buy the part one day and fix it properly. i take take a pic if you need. let me know.

Well it must have been one heck of a weekend. My shifter interlock locked me out this last weekend at the boat ramp. There was no intermittant issues it just stopped working. Alot of pissed off people. I bypassed the lock by pulling the little square plug by the shifter on top of the console and inserting the square plunger in my tire guage. it is a pain in the arse right now to get going but at least I am not stuck at the boat ramp. Just remember to carry something like this in your car lest you get stuck someday. You need something long enough to go about 5 inches down inside the console to press on a spring loaded lever to release the shifter manually. Pratice doing this a couple of times before the switch fails on you and you get all panicky like I did. I knew about the bypass but in a frantic scramble I got all flustered and took quite a while to find something to get me going again. Did i mention alot of pissed off people making matters worse.

And yes my Pathfinder is a 2001

Steve

Well it must have been one heck of a weekend. My shifter interlock locked me out this last weekend at the boat ramp. There was no intermittant issues it just stopped working. Alot of pissed off people. I bypassed the lock by pulling the little square plug by the shifter on top of the console and inserting the square plunger in my tire guage. it is a pain in the arse right now to get going but at least I am not stuck at the boat ramp. Just remember to carry something like this in your car lest you get stuck someday. You need something long enough to go about 5 inches down inside the console to press on a spring loaded lever to release the shifter manually. Pratice doing this a couple of times before the switch fails on you and you get all panicky like I did. I knew about the bypass but in a frantic scramble I got all flustered and took quite a while to find something to get me going again. Did i mention alot of pissed off people making matters worse.

And yes my Pathfinder is a 2001

Steve

Wow. Good thinking. Have you got it fixed yet?

No I havn't got it fixed yet. I need the truck next week and can't aford it to be laid up waititng for service. Its covered under my extended warrenty with Carmax but getting in and out of that place can be a bear. So it will have to wait until i am ready.

Guest cincicycles

I hear the click every time when I hit the brake, but the button on the shifter does not depress. I have to tap the brake a couple of times to get it to work. Then the button will finally depress to allow me to shift_from_park. :)

cinci and steve -

this is exactly what happened with my 01. i drove it for at least two months with it getting worse and worse, then another month with a screwdriver in the ashtray. i only dealt with it after having to give my truck to a parking valet and being thoroughly embarassed of my beloved pathy. sssh

read the fix i posted above. let me know if you want a pic. be aware of the possible safety risk involved though since you will be able to shift out of park without hitting the brake. MUST USE YOUR PARKING BRAKE!

Tecciball,

You have the proper fix for this issue but with my Carmax extended warrenty they will fix it for the $35.00 dollar deductable and not give me much hassles. The only problem with them is getting it in to be fixed in a timely mannor. If it wasn't under warrenty I wouldn't get it fixed. I would bypass the thing until I went to sell it. I dont want to jepordize my bumper to bumper warrenty by bypassing a safety item. Carmax hates me for the cd-changer issues. it has been fixed 3 times under warrenty and I didnt have to pay the deductable. Everytime they fix it, it gets a new 1 year repair warrenty so they have to fix it again and loose more money without a deductable charge. I figure I have just about paid for the extended warrenty they sold me.

Thanks,

Steve

sorry for the delay. i was out of town for a few days. :D anyone been to st joseph, michigan? beautiful place.

anyway, i will take a pic tonight csm.

steve - this fix took me no more than 5 minutes total. you could always do it until you had the opportunity to take it in for the official fix. that screwdriver got annoying and embarassing...

A little late but here is my two bits: We had this issue on our Mystique and it turned out to be the fuse was blown, so a new fuse and she was ready to go. And it also had a slot to push a screwdriver into for a manual disengagement. It was under warranty so Ford had to trace the original cause of the short (just one of $4,000 worth of warranty work on that car :blink: ).

So, long story short, also check your fuses.

Good feedback on the length/size of the “stick” needed, will double check that I have something like that (Robertson screwdriver will work well).

My 95 started having some attitude issues today which reminded me of this post...

I found that if I push the gear selector forward then hit the brake it will come out of Park easier.... It is more noticable when parked on a slight incline and no e-brake.... e-brake 100% of the time now...

Apply e-brake prior to putting it in park...

My 95 started having some attitude issues today which reminded me of this post...

I found that if I push the gear selector forward then hit the brake it will come out of Park easier.... It is more noticable when parked on a slight incline and no e-brake.... e-brake 100% of the time now...

Apply e-brake prior to putting it in park...

Excellent advice! And I have had no issues with the e-brake freezing (like ALL my Fords) in the winter.

Guest csm101

Well, I had a appointment with the dealer to fix it. 5 days before it starts working again. Bloody truck, cant have them fix whats not broke. I wonder if its the warm weather that helped it.

sorry for the delay. i had this ready this morning, but my corporate anti-goof-off doesnt let me post pics from work. i can browse this site, but not post pics. weird.

anyway, the top circle is the shiftlock override. pop that little plastic piece out and jam a screwdriver in there. you already knew that though.

so did the dealer give you a price quote?

post-7-1152250609.jpg

Edited by tecciball

Guest csm101

No price quote. I have a 100k warranty. Its now doing it 5% of the time. I may just go with your fix if it does not come back 100%. You know how it is, it will do it all the time for me, take it to the dealer and it goes away.