OK, I'm stumped...Grinding noise, front end.

vengeful

There is a HORRIBLE grinding noise coming from my front end between about 15-20mph. I have NO CLUE what is causing it.

I originally thought it was the wheel bearings because they had 114k miles on them and were never repacked...YIKES! Replaced with brand new wheel bearings, noise still there.

Then I went crazy and replaced EVERYTHING in the front end outside of the differential. The grinding is clearly coming from each side of the vehicle, close to the wheels.

In my fit of frustration, I have replaced:

- wheel bearings, races, seals

- Brake rotors

- Brake Pads

- Calipers

- Hubs

- Warn Manual Hubs

- Both CV Axles

- Struts

- Strut mounts, bearings, etc.

This sound is a harmonic metallic rattling grinding sound. It only happens at these speeds and usually only when I'm decellerating slowly. If I'm decellerating quickly, or accellerating, the forces on the front end are different, and it doesn't make the noise. I'm STUMPED. :confused:

Addendum:

I know that the LCA bushings are bad, but this doesn't sound like a noise that would be caused by that, due to the grindiness of the rattling, or the rattleness of the grinding?

It's very difficult to differentiate whether it's a grinding or a rattling, because of the nature of the sound.

Dan,

Your gonna love this idea....

Bet you a $1.00 it is a heat sheild on the exhaust system...

Last week I got this same funny noise, could not tell if it was rattle/grinding... Drove over a set a railroad tracks a bit fast... 60ish and heard this awful crunch, and the a$$hat on my bumber swerved.

No more funny noise... went back by the tracks on my way home and picked up what looked like a Cat heat shield clearly marked NISSAN... I now know where it was located but it was never loose from what I could see/feel/move.

Edited by Casey.T

What kind of tires do you have, and what condition are they in? Is the tread feathered? They may be creating a harmonic frequency that causes some other part to vibrate.

Try rotating your tires to see if there's any effect (good or bad).

Dunlop Mud Rovers....45,000 miles on them, and they're worn horribly. Feathered, cupped and torn to bits.

I'm getting new tires in the next month or so and we'll see if that has any effect on it.

Check to make sure the heat sheilds behind your rotors aren't rubbing on the rotor.....happened to me on one of the rear ones, and I bought new pads thinking it was the wear markers on the rotor.......it was just the heat shield rubbing.

I had alignment issues before. Since buying the lifetime alignment from Firestone, that's all fixed. Every time I would go wheeling, it would knock it out of spec and that would cause uneven wear on the tires. I didn't feel like spending $80 on an alignment every time I went wheeling, and eventually broke down and spent the $140 on the Lifetime deal....Couldn't be happier.

Also, 45,000 on mud tires is pretty impressive. Most mud-terrain type tires I hear of only last 25,000 or so.