R50 power steering fluid everywhere

FUELER

I don't know that animal, but the rule of thumb is to clean everything well then start and check for leaks... If nothing, drive for a few miles and check for leaks... You get the drift. Sorry to be so vague, but thats usually what finds the problem. :shrug:

B

its it more liquidy...or more greasy like....

check the boot on the outside there (just in from the inner tie rod)

th_P1020459.jpg

and the boots going across the rack. wear a white latex glove to determ what kind of stuff is leaking....(you said puddle so im thinking ps fluid) but any details on coloration?...could be as simple as windshield wiper fluid leaking across and down onto the rack..other than that....i would check your oil levels

Edited by max_stryker

nice pic. It's more fluid like, rather than greasy. All boots look fine but it looks like it might be coming out of the power steering rack somewhere between the 2 boots on the ends.... I'll get down and dirty with it tomorrow.

I know it's a very vague question which is hard to answer over the internet but thanks for the help guys, NPORA always a great help!!

Pic's look similar to a coolant leak. Smell Sweet? Coolant level?

It could be that the system needs to be under pressure to identify what is leaking...

Have the wifey with the parking brake on and in Park run it up to about 3000 rpms and slowly turn the wheel back and forth to full lock...

Make sure she does not know what your insured for.....

oil level is still above the high mark, just like when i filled it 500 miles ago. Oil is still clean, filter is on tight, and the stuff under is dirty. PS fluid, i cant tell if it dropped, would half an inch cause this much oil underneath?

ive dealt with gear oil before and it stunk. This stuff smells bland?

Definitely. Especially when the shop that did my oil changes told me that it wasn't oil and that I needed a new power steering rack for $1300. I'm going to write some letters cause I am pissed!

Hammer them Fueler !! Don't let up or be nice !!! This is the kind of crap that ignorant people fall for and get screwed !!

My guess is you can get free oil changes for life by the same asshats who screwed up an oil change to begin with... :blink:

B