floor jack weight rating

tecciball

i need to rotate my tires again, and i am sick of using the wimpy jack that came with my pathy, or borrowing the neighbor's floor jack.

i have jack stands already, so i was curious what weight rating i should get. my 01 specs say the curb weight is about 4200 lbs i think. do i need to get teh 2.5 ton, or can i get something less, since the jack wont ever be holding up the entire weight of the vehicle?

thanks.

Jack Link

This is what I have, it has plenty of lift capacity and works fine. My biggest gripe is the total lift is not much. Constantly being placing on blocks to get enough lift. It was not much help when changing out coil springs. However it is cheap and can quickly get a tire off the ground.

For home, don't get anything smaller than a 3ton. I got a Craftsman set 2 years ago that had a 3 ton jack, 2 stands, 2 wheel chocks, a rolling work seat, fender cover, 4 way, and a set of jumper cables for $99. The jack has a max height of 23", most 3 tons don't go that high.

SO I AM GUESSING THAT SINCE I ONLY PLAN TO ROTATE TIRES, I CAN STICK WITH A 2-TON. THAT IS WHAT I WAS HOPING.

from where i come from that would be ok, i probably do it too, but if only plan on lifting one side at a time u should be fine, dont hold me to that since obviously u know ur truck weighs more than the jack is rated at

Yes, that'll be fine. Just use some blocks so you can get it high enough and obviously, be careful !!! I only have a compact 2 ton floor jack and have used it for 10 years on EVERYTHING without a problem.

Yes, it would be nicer to have a 3 ton shop model, but again, it will work.

B

Yes, that'll be fine. Just use some blocks so you can get it high enough and obviously, be careful !!! I only have a compact 2 ton floor jack and have used it for 10 years on EVERYTHING without a problem.

Yes, it would be nicer to have a 3 ton shop model, but again, it will work.

B

what he said^^^

post-1-1149727987.jpg

Edited by dagwoodzz

For home, don't get anything smaller than a 3ton. I got a Craftsman set 2 years ago that had a 3 ton jack, 2 stands, 2 wheel chocks, a rolling work seat, fender cover, 4 way, and a set of jumper cables for $99. The jack has a max height of 23", most 3 tons don't go that high.

:o that's a deal... too bad it was couple of years ago.. will have to keep my out for another to come around.

last week sometime i happened to be at advanced auto and they have some good deals on all thier jacks.. i do recall one with pretty big lift but i don't recall if it matched the craftsman.. to me that's one of the main reasons to have a jack, to lift with it.. i hate using blocks and crap... last few years all i have used is 2 pathfinder bottle jacks.. they actually work pretty well but the turing thing get's old.. i rarely use any blocks and if anything i use some boards under the jacks.. one native chunk under the optima! :)

i am not lifted on 31s.

Edited by mzxtreme

not really important, but i bought a cheap 2 ton tonight at walmart - on sale for $16.

mzx - there was a 2 ton set at pep boys for $40 that had all the stuff mentioned in that craftsman set. obviously an off brand though. :shrug:

not really important, but i bought a cheap 2 ton tonight at walmart - on sale for $16.

mzx - there was a 2 ton set at pep boys for $40 that had all the stuff mentioned in that craftsman set. obviously an off brand though. :shrug:

lol. might be going to walmart though. me and pepboyz don't see eye to eye.. their service is absolutely the worst.. at least here it is.

Cool, I need a creeper and one can never have too many jack stands !! The old floor jack is looking pretty neglected also. If there is a good package deal, I'm all over it !!

B

DONT BUY THE $16 2 TON JACK FROM WALMART!

I used it last night when rotating my tires and it sucks! It moves all over the place and does not have enough lift. Only 13 inches.

That being said, the set from Pep Boys might still be ok. Details:

--------------------------------------------------

Torin™ Big Red All-Chrome Garage-To-Go $29.98 kit after mail-in rebate

(Reg. $59.99) thru Jun 30

All chrome steel and durable.

• 36” padded creeper

• 2-ton floor jack

• Two 2-ton jack stands

• 2 wheel chocks

$44.98 promo price - $15.00 mail-in rebate = $29.98

#T82207

--------------------------------------------------------

mzx - I share your hatred of Pep Boys service. Most of their techs are morons and there service managers are @ssholes. In all fairness though, managing a bunch of inferior techs and having to stand behind all their mistakes would be a touch job!

A quick Pep Boys story - my father-in-law, a man I would not mess with on my best day with any weapon of choice :unsure: , was getting dicked around about some control arms they screwed up. They had 'fixed it' for the second time in a month, and were demanding payment. :furious: He of course was refusing because the other manager had said it would be free due to their mistake. The situation was resolved when he jumped over the counter and told the guy that he would kill him if he didnt hand over the keys. :X He got the keys of course, after they threatened to get him arrested for strong arm robbery. He got a call about ten minutes after he got home from the original manager apologizing. I got free oil changes from the friendly manager for about a year after that! Then he quit so I stopped going there.

Pep Boys opened a single store here in Salem, Oregon a few years back. Lasted about one year, then they went out of business. Lame-ass place, anyway. A plumbing company bought the place(ten bays and all) and now it's a plumbing store. :D

2 Ton jacks work fine on small cars.. but for midsized or larger car, trucks or any 4x4.. get 3 ton at least.

*I have destroyed a number of 2 ton jacks on my Toyota and Pathfinder.

red/grim - i know. get the 3 ton. my jack stands are 3 ton. i planned on getting a 3 ton. then i was in walmart for something else and saw one for so cheap. i should know better. i usually stick to the buy it once (good quality only) tool purchase rule for long run savings and reliability. i guess i just need to be reminded every so often...

The recent trend in at least most 2 ton floor jacks is to make them as cheaply as possible. I honestly would expect a 15 year old jack to be of better quality than a similar "buget" version of it now :shrug:

Damn, then I better show mine some love !!! Scrape off some rust, change the fluid, etc... :D

I wouldn't trust an El Cheapo, but are the new Craftsman units built as poorly ? Not like they are top of the line... I'll have to look next time I can.

B

I can't speak for the current Craftsman 2 tons, thus why I said "similar "buget" version" But based on what is most commonly available... it's not looking good. A comparison would be cool though :aok:

I recently bought a 3ton Craftsman and just love it. The damned thing is built like a tank... and weighs about as much too :blink:

True, but that said, my Craftsman compact 2 ton floor jack has been lifting everything for about 15 years without issue... :shrug:

$40 or so back then.

B

I have a 2 1/4 Craftsman, in it's own carry case....very dusty now ;)

Only time I pull that thing out is for leveling decks and stuff at work.