BUMPER SCUFF

tecciball

hey pathians.

the idiot in me reared his head the other day and forced me to scuff my bumper on a light standard in the parking lot at my office. so now i have a few nice scuffs, scratches, etc on my 01 SE. :angry:

i am gonna get some touch up paint from the dealer this week, but i was hoping for a product suggestion that might lift/mask some of the scratches. i have used rubbing compound on body panels before, but my bumber cover is plastic. if it would be helpful, i could snap a pic to show the damage.

thanks in advance.

I got hit by falling rock, grapefruit size, in the rear left door. Biggest dent in the truck (so far) and some good paint scratches down to bare metal but no bigge for me. Touch up paint will fix it.

Quote of $400 for a full repair, no thanks.

Plastic is tough to handle. Ask at a body shop or good auto detailer. If it is the only damage on the truck, then I can see why you would want to fix it up. Good luck and let us know what you find out. I have a vertical, deep scratch in my front bumper from the garage door so would be interested in knowing your outcome.

a pic would be nice to fathom how deep the scratch is. there is a new rubbing compund out that actually "fills" the scratches.. can't remember the name of the damn stuff tho :blink:

You can use some bondo on it if they are deep enough you need to fill them (ie 1/32" or deeper), sand it smooth, then hit the area with some factory color spray paint. If they are just a scrape through the clearcoat, sand it down with some fine grit and re-clear it.

I dont mind 'sport' or 'utility' imperfections in my Pathy because they show that the truck is being used properly (not mearly a mall crawler). In fact, I have quite a few myself from trails and construction sites (work).

But the marks in question are clearly from a parking lot mishap. In my opinion, this type of damage just makes the owner look like a @$$hole driver! P... So I want to mask it as best I can.

Damn....if you're worried about one scratch on your bumper, you'll probably crap your pants seeing my truck. :lol:

i dont even have a bumper, let alone the paint that was on my truck

If it a paint transfer kind of scratch lysol spray will take it right off. My wife worked for a car rental place, its how they kept their wrecks looking spiffy.

Edited by ticker

If it a paint transfer kind of scratch lysol spray will take it right off. My wife worked for a car rental place, its how they kept their wrecks looking spiffy.

No way...that's interesting/good to know :o

if you're concerned about your scuff being from the parking lot, it's time to go wheelin and make sure you 'accidentally' kiss a tree and mask your pk-lot oops.

if you're concerned about your scuff being from the parking lot, it's time to go wheelin and make sure you 'accidentally' kiss a tree and mask your pk-lot oops.

My wife would kill me and take my toy away P...

No way...that's interesting/good to know :o

It really does work. But only on paint transfer scuffs, like when someone hits your bumper in the parking lot or you close the garage door a little to soon :P

My wife would kill me and take my toy away P...

but she'll let you go mall-crawling with all those hazardous light posts? :shrug:

oh, i get it, you're playing the "someone else hit me in the parking lot" card, right?

Here is the pic. So does anyone have a product suggestion for me? I think most of the scratches will fade or completely go away with a decent rubbing compound. There are some areas where the paint is gone so I will touch up there. I ordered some paint from the dealer today - $6 I think the guy said. It will be in on Thursday.

post-1-1149560717.jpg