Tranny is toast, any suggestions?

sanford7575

I need some serious help. Last week I suddenly lost all gears in my '91 Pathfinder (111,000K) and had my Torque Converter repaired by a local transmission shop to the tune of $850.00. After it was replaced, the shop said it was fine and that all was well.

1 Day later while driving down the AC Expressway, the I heard a clunk, the RPMs revved to 4000K and it felt like I couldn't shift out of 2nd or 3rd gear (lack of fluid?). I continued to drive to the nearest rest stop and the Pathy then begin to smoke as the Tranny warning light came on and Tranny fluid began to eject out of the car. After barely making it to the rest stop and calling a tow truck, I noticed that the there was burnt (brown and runny) Tranny fluid on the spare tire carrier in the back. When the tow truck came, I had no gears (reverse, drive, etc...) and the Pathy had to be pushed onto a tow truck.

Did I totally destroy the transmission? Is the shop responsible for this repair? What should I do? Is there a place to get a quality used transmission? Is there a place that anyone knows that will do a quality install? I believe that the local shop is going to try to screw me when I think it's obvious that they didn't put everything back correctly or they didn't refill the fluid to the proper level. I also noticed that the gear shifter inside the car was slightly out of allignment after the shop returned the car to me.

I've put so much into this car, but I fear that it may be time to move on. I've contacted my credit card company to dispute the original charge while I wait for word from the shop. Anyone have any suggestions?

:help:

I think your tranny shop screwed you. Obviously, they had the tranny apart and now it's toast. I would certainly get all over them about it. As for where to go now... there are a couple trannies listed on the boards here. May be worth investigating. One is in NC which you could probably retrieve over a weekend (if I remember that you're near Philly)

The repair activity sure sounds suspect.

But good luck getting them to own up to it... If they do, you are one of the few to find an auto trans repair shop more interested in integrity than money!

From what you described, that tranny is very seriously toasted. The red light on the dash is kinda like the red light for oil pressure. They don't so much tell you that something needs attention as much as they just rub salt in the wound. The light comes on some time after the damage is done.

Getting it rebuilt may or may not have it functioning well. For whatever reason, rebuilt automatics seem to be a complete crapshoot. I personally have completely given up on getting them rebuilt or recommending they be rebuilt. I have several horror stories, a whole bunch of "well, except for ....." stories, and not one "perfectly successful" story.

IF it were me, I would pursue the following options:

1) Pick up a totaled Pathy with a 5 speed and swap in the manual! (Yes, I hate automatics. And now you know why!)

2) Pick up a used "known good" factory sealed and original automatic from a parted out Pathy.

Good luck! This is a difficult situation that I think all of us have gone through at least once in our life.

If the tranny blew 1 day after the shop work, they MUST be liable !! Didn't it come with any warranty ?? I'd demand my $ back AND have them pay for the tow bill !!

I believe there is a tranny for sale in the classified section of this forum.. ;)

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=9213

Other than that, I'd follow mws's advice, it's sound...

B

If parts from the toasted torque converter plugged up the filter screen, tranny cooler or went through the pump and totalled that out, it may not be the shop's fault. It may have been waiting to happen anyway. Just my 2 cents worth...

1 day later is totally the shop's responsibility. If you lived in the NY Metro area I would recommend a place that did the same thing for me on a 91 Caravan I used to own. 1 week later, it just gave out on me. They paid the tow back and fixed free of charge.

Tranny died 4 months later again and I junked it for $50 bucks...

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to say goodbye to all of those who have been helpful during the past two years, it's been fun!

Long story short is that my Pathfinder is being put to rest. Max's Transmissions in Philadelphia, PA is not honoring their warranty and I am not paying to rebuild my Pathy's tranny so I am putting the Pathy to rest with only 111,000 miles. I feel a real sense of loss, but rebuilding the Tranny with a timing belt and water pump change looming is just more money than I want to throw into a 15 year old car.

I really feel like killing someone at Max's for basically destroying my car, but my therapist says that I just need to let go before anger consumes me!

You guys will be happy to know that I am moving onto a '92 Maxima for the time being so I am staying in the Nissan family.

Anyway, thanks for your help through the years!

Anyone interested in a '91 Pathfinder with 111,000 miles with a burnt up tranny???

New Tires, Muffler, Shocks, Brakes, and many more extras...

pssd

I am very sorry to hear about this outcome. It's just not right...

If only you were on the west coast, I would be over there like now to help you swap in a 5 speed tranny and do the timing belt with you. IMHO, these trucks are just too nice to give up on.

Dude that totally blows about the tranny - If you decided against the motion to put it to rest - I know a very reputable trans shop in madison, NJ. only guy i let work on my truck. Several of my friends from lancaster county, pa have come just to get their clutches done. HEs quite inexpensive and reliable and definately stands by his work.

Id hook you up with a trans for free but the one i have laying around is standard trans.

Aside from that. check your pm's

Dude that totally blows about the tranny - If you decided against the motion to put it to rest - I know a very reputable trans shop in madison, NJ. only guy i let work on my truck. Several of my friends from lancaster county, pa have come just to get their clutches done. HEs quite inexpensive and reliable and definately stands by his work.

Id hook you up with a trans for free but the one i have laying around is standard trans.

Aside from that. check your pm's

Hey would you mind shooting me that tranny shop in NJ info?

shoot wheelman a PM he wants i think $700 for his if thats not too steep its here in NC if you know someone with a pick up who could come down and pick it up it could be ures...if you talk with him he might work with you i donno but it'd be worth a shot

its a reman with about 3k on it w/ tcase still attached

Sorry to hear Sanford. I've dealt with shops like that before and tried not to get ulcers about it... You can either try to pick up a good tranny cheap as above, or part/sell the vehicle as I'm sure there are plenty of good parts on it. Don't five up yot, but good luck with whatever you decide.

B

if they suggested a warrantee period and are now not honoring it, you should send them a letter from an attorney's office. that will likely change their tune. :nono: or you could call the local tv station and tell them your story. i am sure they will listen! :D

Thanks for all of your suggestions, but I don't have the time or patience to fight any further. Legally I can't prove that their negligance caused the other breakdown, especially since they've had it for 2 weeks and did God-knows-what to it.

I will be picking up my Maxima on Saturday, so I will be officially moving on in a few days.

Actually, today my wife just collected a $200.00 refund of the $900.00 that we originally spent for the torque converter from the transmission place because they felt bad about what happened. It makes me angry because they know that they screwed up, but at this point I just need to get this whole ordeal behind me. It's honestly driving me nuts. If I put anymore negative energy into thinking about it I'll totally lose it. I put so much work into this truck that it makes me sick to thinkabout giving it up, but I have to to keep my sanity.

It's hard to believe that a car as great as the Pathy is can have such a disasterous weak spot. I took all of the precautions, and a problem still developed without any warning. Automatic transmissions suck!

-alcohol-

where in jersey or philly are you from? im from northern NJ i'll spread the word about your ride. Whats the details on it? Shoot me a message. sorry to hear about the bad news. Ive gotten burned on alast vehicle by aamco so i can feel your pain.

scott

:sniff: damn. i am sorry to hear that. at least you recouped some of your $$ from the buggers who fubard the tranny. 2 weeks??? wtf? they were prolly using it!

don't give up, you'll find a new tranny and she'll come alive once more i'm sure. keep the faith, and the pathy..... both in one piece. :beer: