Custom Gauge Panel

Spolar93

cut this out on the band saw and bent it up with the ole break. the blank hole is awaiting a matching trans temp gauge, as soon as i install dual explorer tranny coolers and drill and tap the pan for the sensor.

Close up

IMG_4470.jpg

Blurry full view

IMG_4472.jpg

Just hit some mud, you know how that goes sly

IMG_4473.jpg

Nice job.

Do you have enough knee clearance there?

I had a toggle switch panel there, with three toggles, one hooked up to my lights the others weren't hooked up to anything.

I broke two of the three with my knee :(

Looks good, but I have to wonder about the same thing as above ^^^

Oh and something seems to be blocking the right half of your tach... I would like to see a close up of what ever that is sly

:lol:

plenty of knee clearance, its actually closer to my shin. my seat is back almost all the way since i'm a lanky guy

thats my wonderful girlfriend, shes the greatest thing that has happened to me in a long time. thats the greatest mod i've done so far :D

How does a lifetime warranty work on a set of tires? Lifetime of the tire (Warranty valid as long as the tire holds air? in which case, a puncture will void it), lifetime of the owner (warranty valid as long as purchaser is breathing), lifetime of the vehicle (warranty valid as long as vehicle is running)...

I've always wondered about "Lifetime" warranties....

Great idea!

Make sure it can bend backwards relatively easily.

If you were to get into an accident, your knee or shin will slam into it. It will cause less damage if it could bend out of the way.

BIAS PLY IS THE DUCKS NUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D

stuff all speed rating tho.

Spolar can i make a suggestion with regards to the tranny oil temp sender. dont put it in the tranny pan. put it in line just befor the first tranny oil cooler. reason being then its reading at one of the hottest spots of the system. when i did mine i was going to do the same thing. spoke to a few good transmission guys and inline before the cooler was the go.

use a large t piece, screw the sender in to the t and have the oil flowing straight thru past it.

Where to put the sensor is a long running debate.

Right as it comes out of the transmission does monitor the fluid when it is at its very hottest and is commonly considered the "best" place.

But it is generally easier to monitor the pan temperature - but this is monitoring the fluid at its coolest point.

My opinion? Monitoring the outlet is most accurate, but if that is a PITA, monitoring the pan is 95% as effective if you remember what it is and realize the peak temps are probably 20-30 degrees F hotter than what you're seeing on the gauge.

Yeah it does look good.

I'm shorter so my seat sits more forward, that must be why I hit it with my knee.

Hey, how are those TSL's for wear? I've been considering looking into a set for my '90. But of course, I won't get them until the JGC and body lift is in... Then I'll go for 33s :P

How does a lifetime warranty work on a set of tires?  Lifetime of the tire (Warranty valid as long as the tire holds air? in which case, a puncture will void it), lifetime of the owner (warranty valid as long as purchaser is breathing), lifetime of the vehicle (warranty valid as long as vehicle is running)...

I've always wondered about "Lifetime" warranties....

Life of the tread of the tire... the BFG MT's on the Yota and two of the BFG AT's on the path are covered by lifetime (if we cant fix it, we'll replace iit) waranties from Discount Tire

It's a link too ^ ;)

The "3 years" part seems new, I do not recall that when I bough the yota's tires.. will have to look at the original paperwork for them. If that is the case then they have been out of warranty for many years now :shrug:

basically, if any irrepairable damage at all happens to the tire with in the first 50% of tread life, i get a new tire no questions asked. after 50%, its pro rated replacement

only put about 300 miles on them so far, but they still have nubbies

My B&M guage's instructions said to mount the sender after the cooler so that you know the cooler is working. It came with 2 T fittings, but neither matched the Nissan hard lines. I bought my own T to mount it on the rubber line and soldered a wire to the T for the sender's ground (grounds to the hard line in a "normal" installation). Thought about adding a second guage on the inlet side, just to see the high side too, just to see how effective the cooler really is. It came out of the cooler between 150 and 180 on the 2k+ mile trip I just took. I guess if it wasn't working right it would constantly get hotter on the output side.

I want to make a mount for mine in the same place as you, had my tranny guage in the mount that came with it, 3M taped to the side of the center dash in the same area, but the 3M only held for a week. I also have a digital Volt meter down there bolted to the dash where the little filler piece is for the truck E-brake.

I was about to suggest the same thing GG, mount two temp gauges, one after the outlet from the trans, and one after the outlet from the trans cooler.

Then mount an oil pressure gauge. Then mount an oil temp gauge. Then mount an exhaust temp gauge. Then um um um a boost gauge! And write in your own markings: low boost, medium boost, and (in big red letters) MAX BOOST! Then peg the needle just a little bit past MAX BOOST! :laugh:

Then um um um a boost gauge! And write in your own markings: low boost, medium boost, and (in big red letters) MAX BOOST! Then peg the needle just a little bit past MAX BOOST! :laugh:

Issues :crazy:

Rather than two gauges, you can save a few bucks and some space and use a single gauge with two sending units with a single pole double throw switch to select which sending unit is connected!