I think I am about ready to give up on my 95 SE

zack1978

Hey everyone,

Has anyone else reached a point where they were ready to give up on their Pathfinder, and buy a new truck? I am the orig owner of my 1995 Se with 166,000 miles on the clock. Lately a lot of things have been replaced and I have spent almost a grand on her in the past two weeks. I did a full tune up, and fluid chage in everything (front and rear diff, trans, and transfer case, used all Amsoil syn), and that set me back almost $500, with VERY cheap labor!!. Yesterday my front brakes needed to be replaced, so I got the rotors and pads (pads from Nissan, and Brembo rotors) and dropped it at the shop. The mechanic called me a few hours later to tell me that the calipers are also bad. So that job was almost $400, again with VERY cheap (almost free) labor. And I know that the power steering pump is on it's way out. And I also have to contend with the body and frame rust . I am just reaching a point where I am starting to think about selling it, and cut my losses. I am starting to get down on the Path a lot. I just don't know what to do at this point. I don't really want to start with payments again, but I also don't feel like dumping tons of cash every month into my Path. Any opinions?

Zack

even cheaper labor. IF you hang around here, you'll learn to do things yourself and save a lot of money. Also, lots of things can be repaired but shops typically just throw in a replacement (example is the calipers). I wouldn't give up on it just yet. Go ahead and make a backup plan (like knowing what to get next) then wait for the next catastrophic loss or major repair before making your decision to bail.

It's hard to fix frame rust. But look at how long you've been riding for free. Good maintenance will save you big bucks in the long run. If your changing fluids regular as it appears that will do a lot over the long haul.

That's a tuff one... But sometimes you spend money even if the truck is newer.

Do you still trust the truck? I think that is the point for me. Trusting that your vehicle will not leave you stranded somewhere. I had a 98 Accord. The B$%#tch left me stranded twice and I dumped it. I could have fixed it and did fix some things, but at the end of the day. It's all about trust.

Although, with 166000 you are pushing the envelope.

Meh...I have about 172000 Miles on my 95 (275000+ Kms) and I trust it.....Engine is still strong (as strong as the VG30E ever was) and I turn the key and she runs every day. Maintenance is key..... Run it until it dies, it's not worth a whole pile at this point anyways.

I have 230,000 (+) miles on mine and am preparing to dump a few bucks in it to bring it up to par. I think as RMD stated, it's all about trust. I can go out on any day and fire it up, no smoke and still strong (with the exception of the exhaust leak and oil leak). I have had a few woes with it but, for the most part, she hasn't let me down. It still rides smooth and steady on the highway (original shocks) and gets good gas mileage. I figure I can get at least another 100,000 out of her.

Edited by Airborne82

Mine has 210k km on it and it's cost me a bit to maintain. Sometime I feel like you do, but then i'll hitch the boat on the back and go fishing :P I've gotten used to the fact that cars need to be fixed, especially when they get 'up there' in milage. By gotten used to it, i mean i've learnt a few things about fixing it yourself. But, if you fart dollars, go ahead and get something new.

Meh, brakes you can do yourself (not that you need to anytime soon). It cost me about $400 in parts (rotors, both pads, 2 calipers, fluid etc.) and took me about 4 hours to do myself. I've done them before (not the caliper part) and I did have frustrations, but I figured it out and have been doing it properly ever since. It all depends on if your time is worth the savings of d.i.y. But basically, every car you own, you're gonna find something about it that needs to be fixed/oiled/cleaned.

I've been looking at 'new' (1999ish) frontiers, but even though my truck is only worth $5000max to the dealership, like Simon's, it still get the job done almost every time I ask something from it. That's why I can't justify spending 15-18k on that shiny, nice new truck. I learned to get on the other side of the interst game (save, not pay) before I purchase a new car, but disregard the fact that I just bought a house.

And don't get all humdrum about having to spend $1000 on it here and there. My younger brother has put a solid $3000 since last summer in his '91 toyota mr2 just so it runs. Boy was it every peppy when he was finished. I can't wait to see the new exhaust he ordered. ;)

And whenever I feel like my truck has gotten me down, i'll go and use it for something I though of doing in it before I bought it. This weekend, it'll be towing the boat to catch the first weekend of pike fishing :)

I think the difference in him and those of us blessed with mech know how

or somthing resembling it is we can fix these things he cant

but Zack if you dont have a friend or relative that knows cars and will helpyou

or you cant do it yourself

then fixxing these things can get very exspensive but like

rmd said even new vehicles need repair from time to time and parts and labor

on some new cars is more exspensive than your pathy

i dont know what parts stores you have there but some mech

shops jack up the price of parts for thier profit

But all of that aside Mine which is a 91 Pathy has (ahem) 265,000 miles on it

and its still going very strong every day and i trust it but then the mech who works on it is me so i know whats done alot of it is preventative maint to keep them going forever . Make your choice wiseley my son good luuck :unsure:

Well., I have a an 01 with 71k miles... A baby...

In the last two weeks I needed an alignment, rotation and balance to the tune of $130 if I remember correctly. I also had to change a sensor, the VTC sensor another $230. My exhaust rusted off from the CAT back another $500... (I went performance mainly because would have been more expensive, the advantages I saw later). Same week after all this, I get into a fender bender and have to get my bumper repaired. Can't drive around with a black eye, that was another $325. All this in a week's time. It hurt like hell but it's part of ownership I guess. Still trust her and today even more. The car I hit unlike mine had $2600 in repairs, same shop.

*ahem* lemme just say if anyone should have given up on their pathy and jumped ship long ago it shoulda been me. :takebow: i have over $3,000 invested in mine, no lifts (except JGC coils) and have never managed to get past the motor (well.. not far)..... it is a labor of love.. and i will tell you..... when a pathy gets sick....... she pukes for a long time before recovering. so the love/hate relationship begins.

Brakes, and the above mentioned maintenance are all just that. "routine"....... it has to be done at some point, and will no doubt not have to be done for a long time to come.

$500 for fluids? WTF :blink: i did all mine (except tranny) for under $100.. and it took 1 afternoon. I used valvoline gear oil. Works great.

How bad is the frame rust? fixable? remember.. even if you do sell the pathy...... EVERYTHING needs maintenance...... ;)

LOL you guys crack me up. Granted, I've got more $$$ into repairs and mods to my Pathy than most anybody that doesn't have a SAS. But still, what's a major repair every few years, or a few hundred in maintenance and repair each year. It beats a few hundred in payments EVERY MONTH any day in my book. Sure, you're paying into an old vehicle, but no matter the vehicle, you will never come out ahead (short of a Ferrari or a collectible). Its just the nature of the beast. My previous Nissan truck ran like a top at 255K miles when I sold it for good cash, and I still kinda cringe thinking I should have kept it. You've got plenty of miles to cover still.

BTW, yes, I've reached an edge a few times. Then I back away, gather my senses, and plan for a new toy...

Edited by Mr. Pickles

Another thing to consider is the "what if" factor. What if you sell it, get another one and have to do the exact same thing all over again? What if you can't find another one? What if you get a new vehicle instead and then your payments are a lot higher than the cost of maintenance on your old one?

OK here is a tip for everyone who has an older vehicle that is starting to cost them $$ and they are thinking of ditching it.

On a nice sunny day go and stand infront of your vehicle and in a nice but stern voice say "the next time you cost me more the $100 to fix you are going to the scrap yard". You'd be amazed at how well this works. Before my 95 Pathy I had a '77 Old Delta 88 Royal. This technique got me an extra 2 years out of her.

They can hear ya you know!

Now I have to go as my alien communication device is almost finished!

Jammer