bypassing stock amplifiers

the rig

I need to bypass my stock amps after installling my new stereo. I don't want to rewire the entire truck so if anyone has had experience in this department before your insight would be much help. thanks.

they dont match. i ran into that problem too. if you are planning on putting in after market speakers, head unit, then it will be worth it to you to run new wire. its what i did, only took me a few hours. its really easy to hide the wires in our trucks...

if u can get to the old wires and clip them at the head unit and can tie the new speaker wire to it and pull it thru (or get/rent 1 of those things that electricians/ethernet folks have that is pretty rigid and in a coil and u can feed it thru and then pull the wires back to u that way if theres enough room) that that might save from pulling some panels but i havent done this so i dont really know the location of the amps and what not

i gave a kid $50 at future shop and he wired it up fine. I bought a new head unit that was more powerful that the amps. I know nothing about stereos so i fugerd $50 wasn't too bad. plus i had to leave for florida in 5 hours :P

i gave a kid $50 at future shop and he wired it up fine. I bought a new head unit that was more powerful that the amps. I know nothing about stereos so i fugerd $50 wasn't too bad. plus i had to leave for florida in 5 hours  :P

Future Shop... as much as I hated the employee's (true used car salesman) I miss the stores

Edited by RedPath88

I get all my work done at futureshop now...the best installer in the city left a local place and started working there. he always gives me killer deals and does a ton of work for a lot less than it would normally cost me....i'm not a fan of their product so i usually pick stuff up at other places and then bring it there to get put in! Should check with those places, sometimes despite most of the ppl that work there are idiots, there just might be a few ppl that actually know a thing or two hanging around...

(or get/rent 1 of those things that electricians/ethernet folks have that is pretty rigid and in a coil and u can feed it thru and then pull the wires back to u that way if theres enough room)

guide wire..... i have one...

any aftermarket head unit will output more power per speaker than the stock amps. the only panels you will really have to pull are the back ones, (i dont kno the year of your vehicle its not in your profile) but if you have the (not sure of the year) pathy with the rear speaker "boxes" instead of the overhead speakers, then you would have to pull even less panels. it is very straighforward to run your wire, just start pulling panels, i ran mine through some split loom, on the drivers side, along wtih my RCA cables for the amp, and then 4 guage wire on the passenger side for the amp power wire....trust me you can do it, there is space available

(or get/rent 1 of those things that electricians/ethernet folks have that is pretty rigid and in a coil and u can feed it thru and then pull the wires back to u that way if theres enough room)

You mean "Fish Tape"? :)

My new headunit comes in today. from what I gather here this won't be a simple "buy a harness at Best Buy pop it in" type job. I have a 97. Where are these amps so I can start lookinginot rewiring. I'm going to be installing my system soon as well, but for now I'm just doing the head unit to aftermarket speakers. You really have to rewire it all? Fun fun fun.

I was able to use a in line adapter from Crutchfield that works with the amps. I have used this harness on my pathfinder, my 91 300zx and my brothers 99QX4. They work great and are adjustable. I did "rewire" my 300z but even that was simple by finding the right wires at the amps and cut them and run new wires to the speakers. Try and find a wiring diagram to help yourself. The amps are located behind the left rear side behind the side panel. Hope this helps.

Edited by 5523Pathfinder