Making A Custom Skid Plate that

TrailChaser

First I had to make a template to know what I'd need to cover, and about where it is located under the truck and how big it is.

Here's a few pics of the cardboard skid... The hat is for size reference. (I have a regular size head. :D )

523120d5.jpg

e0a4c899.jpg

153e113a.jpg

I had some 1/4" sheet metal set aside to make the skid out of but someone used it for something else. So instead of 1/4" I decided to use a 5/16" sheet. This thing is REAL heavy. 77lbs to be exact.

I put the "skid" in the press brake to put the bend in it for the exhaust where it crosses by the tranny pan. I can not pick it up by myself while it's under the truck. I used my floorjack to lift it,and when I had it set in place where it'll go when finished I noticed that the bend was off by a couple of degrees. I put the "skid" back in the press to "unbend" it a little.

Here's some pics from when I was lining it up for the holes to be drilled. MVC-003F.jpg

MVC-005F.jpg

MVC-006F.jpg

MVC-007F.jpg

This thing actually flexes a lot more than I thought it would. I'll have to give it a backbone. It also hung down more than I'd have liked it too. I also found out that it's possible to make the same style skid without the bend in it. You just need to make the mounts on the ends long enough to clear the front diff and transfer case.

I took the front skid to work and welded some pipe around the bolt heads. It'll definately keep the rocks off the bolts.

I thought about the flexing problem. I welded some 1"x1" angle iron on the topside of the skid for support. I want to be able to jack up the truck on any part of the plate without it moving too much.

More pics.

MVC-020F.jpg

Close-up of the rock protection.

MVC-010F.jpg

Here's a couple of pics with the skid mounted before I put it in the 200ton press for a 3rd time to straiten it back out.

3222d19c.jpg

MVC-015F.jpg

MVC-019F.jpg

I messed with getting it tighter up there before I took it back to work and put it in the press. No luck... I used the jack on it while it was still bolted up and made it touch the exhaust where it crosses. As soon as I let the pressure off it went back to the original angle like a spring.

Then I tried this...

MVC-001F.jpg

MVC-002F.jpg

Needless to say, that didn't work...

After I bent the bend out of it with the press and it was back strait....

It sits flush. Perfect.

I welded on a tab for the transfer case.

With that 1" angle iron it's solid as hell. plus it touches the first x-member and comes real close to touching the second one.

Pics...

Here's the angle iron I welded on. It's 1"x1" so it sticks up 3/4" which isn't too bad.

326c983a.jpg

Notice how much closer it is now than in the last set of pics.

MVC-008F.jpg

MVC-009F.jpg

This is the front diff. It has about 1/4" clearance between it and the skid. B)

MVC-014F.jpg

Now for the finished pictures.

0ea9d1d2.jpg

The white dot is the balance point. That way I can put the jack on the dot, put a little pressure, and unbolt it without worrying that it'll fall and smash something.

94ca6d47.jpg

Here's a little sand rash from high centering on a "sandcastle". 5d35b826.jpg

Here's the "sandcastle". :rolleyes: It had a BIG hole on the other side that you can't see in that pic.

DSC04072a.jpg

Next mod I'm fabbing up will be... Sliders. :D

Do you think I'll need'em...

2f5e5648.jpg

77863353.jpg

nice man. after i get my trailmaster lift on and new header back exaust system this summer i'm gonna bend up a full skid out of 3/16" from my fairlead, down my bumper supports and back to the back of the tcase. reference my sig pic to see what i'm talking about. that angle iron idea is pretty good, i'll have to incorporate it in mine!

That should protect anything it covers !! Next time try UHMW PE, it works quite well... ;)

B

I like your thinking......working on some ideas now........hope to have mine done by Friday.......got a 2'x4' piece from Filthy Luker. :beer:

That should protect anything it covers !! Next time try UHMW PE, it works quite well... ;)

B

That stuff cost $$$. I got the steel for this free and I made it at work.

The measurements are: 48"x15" for the main plate. The mounting brackets are 4"x9" for the rear and 4"x 10" up front. The mounting plate is 1.5" above the main plate up front and 1.75" above in the rear.

slick, i didnt know that there were so many speed bumps around the mall that you need a belly skid? hahaha jk

hey. i'll have you know JC Pennys have some severe speed bumps at the mall.. and when taken at 35mph + can be very damaging :blink: (as if i would know? i am allergic to malls) :P

Something to consider. If you plan on getting headers the skid will need to mount a little lower, i.e.- not flush with the crossmember. I just put my headers on and was surprised how low they are.

Sorry TrailChaser, I wasn't knocking it. Free is good ! I was just comming from weight and workability stand point, thats all. Yeah, the PE can cost, but not that much...

I like your thinking......working on some ideas now........hope to have mine done by Friday.......got a 2'x4' piece from Filthy Luker

Get in touch with me if you want some tips on forming it. You can actually make it fit and not look like you ziptied a restaurant cutting board to your tranny... :D

B

Yeah, i have a front bracket already welded in......just need to figure out a rear bracket, and something to space it from the tranny crossmember.......should be a few hours work.....

Get in touch with me if you want some tips on forming it. You can actually make it fit and not look like you ziptied a restaurant cutting board to your tranny... :D

B

It's bolted on :P

It works good too B)