Pinstripe removal

navygz19

Well, I suppose the title said it all. I hate the pinstripe on my '02 and want to remove it. I tore a bunch of it off today with just my hand, but I'm sure there's an easier way...any spray or something? Thanks! :beer:

Let the metal heat up a bit so the adhesive loosens up. Then use goo gone to remove the leftovers, and remember to wax/polish the area after. (I hated that sticker above the rear keyhole!)

If you do use a soft rubber/polyurethane pinstripe removal wheel to remove the pinstripes, do NOT go fast with it. It will burn the pinstripe and adhesive and melt it into your clearcoat. Use the slowest setting on your drill or air tool and apply steady pressure.

Ask me how I found that one out.

Run through this a couple times, that'll do it. :aok:

brush-th.jpg

JJ, thats how you GET pinstripes!!

I actually thought this thread was about that kind of pinstripe!! :D

I left my truck in the sun on a warm summer day, and then peeled the stripes of with the help of my finger nails... (see, and you thought girls just grew their nails to be pretty!)

Another way is to use a pressure washer. I accidentally blasted off parts of the pinstriping on my truck with my 1750psi electric pressure washer, so I just continued blasting away until it was all off. I than had to remove the adhesive with goo-gone. It was a pain.

Holy moly thanks for the replies. Sorry, been gone a while...but I still have the PS's.

If you do use a soft rubber/polyurethane pinstripe removal wheel to remove the pinstripes, do NOT go fast with it. It will burn the pinstripe and adhesive and melt it into your clearcoat. Use the slowest setting on your drill or air tool and apply steady pressure.

Ask me how I found that one out.

How'd you find that one out :lol:

Run through this a couple times, that'll do it. thumbsup.gif

user posted image

No kiddin, that IS how you get some good looking (pin) stripes ;)

(see, and you thought girls just grew their nails to be pretty!)

No, I thought they grew them to unlock doors when you leave your keys in the car :laugh:

Your best bet is the goo gone. This is what I did and it worked just fine on my 01. Take a hair dryer and heat up a little section after applying some goo gone to it. The heat will make the sticker softer and less likely to break as you pull. Once you get the pin stripe up, take more goo gone and rub the area to remove extra adhesive. Then wash the area with a good soap like dawn to remove the goo gone and re wax the area where the pin stripe was. 30 minute job max! :beer:

Edited by 01Pathy3.5LE

As a rule, I'd hesitate to put any kind of "remover" product on the paint of a relatively new vehicle. The eraser wheel works perfectly safely without damaging the paint if you just take it easy and go slow with it.

Where do I get one of these wheels? Is it like a Dremel type thing?

Pinstripe Removal

The one I have will work on a drill, it was purchased from an Auto Detailer shop. They are not shelf items, but any locally owned shops will probably sell too you.

Go to the closest Auto window tint shop and ask them to sell you one. Don't pay more than $15 bucks for two of them.

In my town, there's a CarQuest shop that has a body and paint specific section. They sell real automotive paint and supplies, etc there. It was in the body section for $12. Mine is orange with a threaded stud poking out for attachment. I just chucked 'er into my cordless drill and got busy.

The pinstripe removal wheel takes the stripe and adhesive off at the same time, but it does leave some smudges. A little bit of WD-40 on a clean white rag will take it all off with no visible remnants. WD-40's OK to use on paint as long as you wash it off afterward.

Here's a pic...removing one of those nasty faulty bumper stickers Jim had made up a long time ago.

bs5.jpg

In my town, there's a CarQuest shop that has a body and paint specific section. They sell real automotive paint and supplies, etc there. It was in the body section for $12. Mine is orange with a threaded stud poking out for attachment. I just chucked 'er into my cordless drill and got busy.

The pinstripe removal wheel takes the stripe and adhesive off at the same time, but it does leave some smudges. A little bit of WD-40 on a clean white rag will take it all off with no visible remnants. WD-40's OK to use on paint as long as you wash it off afterward.

Here's a pic...removing one of those nasty faulty bumper stickers Jim had made up a long time ago.

bs5.jpg

Thanks 88. I'm going to go to the NAPA store here and see if I can find something like that. I can see why you wouldn't want to hold it too close for too long tho :o The process looks pretty straight forward.

Use the goo gone trick. The remover will not be on the paint long enough to do any damage. That's also why I recommended Dawn. That stuff will remove any remaining goo gone (and maybe some wax) Then re-wax the area you washed. I would be more nervous to use a rotary device, other than a buffer wheel, on my paint. That's just me. I've done my way, it works, and... IT'S QUICK!!!!!

Edited by 01Pathy3.5LE