Should my MAF sensor have been dirty?

zack1978

Hey everyone,

This afternoon I pulled the MAF sensor out of my 1995 Path with 163,000 miles. It seems like is was not even the slightest bit dirty. It was never cleaned before (I am the orig owner). Should it have been dirty? I cleaned it anyway with a q tip and alcohol but I don't think it did anything because the q tip stayed clean. Even if I didn't take any dirt/grime off do you think I helped my truck?

Thanks,

Zack

Well, I am having the issue with it stumbling at idle for about 5-10 seconds when you first start it. I know that it might be in my head, but the truck does seem like it has more power. It is just strange, because there was not the slightest bit of dirt on the MAF. One would think that after 11 years and 163,000 miles it would be dirty.

Thanks,

Zack

Did you try running the ECU Codes?

No I didn't run an ecu code check. That was done at the shop like two weeks ago. If I remember correctly, I think he said it was a 42? But I am not sure.

Zack

not necessarily on the MAF. mine was clean also with a 112k on the clock.

42 seems to be the code for fuel temp. change it. that's probably your problem. that's the only way things will get better. don't ignore the codes. i don't think i have ever come accross one being wrong. ECU may not kick one out but when it does it's for certain. jeez.. :rolleyes:

Just cleaned mine when I redid my intake, got the slightest bit of dirt from the plastic semiciircular area under the wires, but that was it (about 115k on mine).

The stumble at start could be a couple things. Myfirst check would be the vaccum lines.

mine was filthy after about 70k miles. Of course, I was living in the desert southwest at the time. It all depends on how much crap you let through your air filter. Use a good quality one and don't drive in dust storms and you may never need to clean it.