Prefered detailing products

Oliver

What do you all like to use to clean up the inside of your baby? I used to be an armorall fan but I read that anything silicone based will actually enhance the destructive power of solar rays on plastic and rubber surfaces. I've read alot of good stuff about various other products around.

What are the Pathy preferences?

Edited by Oliver

A dry rag. Usually ends up being a leftover napkin from a meal. That and a vacuum. Vacuum usually happens once a year. Dry rag happens whenever I notice something is particularly dirty. :P

I think your going to get a lot of replies like this, Oliver! Particularly from the WD crowd :P

I DID just detail my '02 R50, so you're in luck!

Dsc01124.jpg

It was a mixture of something, it WAS water based I know that :D

I'm the resident forum detailer, so lucky you.

IMG_0181.jpg

IMG_0669.jpg

IMG_0661.jpg

IMG_0660.jpg

It depends on what you want to do, but basically detailing products are expensive and generally not store bought. Products are on www.autogeek.net and www.autopia.org.

For people who have to get stuff at Autozone, O' Reilly's, wherever, get Meguires. I have a bunch of Megs products, and they are the only store bought products that are not laughable. A few Mothers products are okay. 3M stuff, if you can find it, is the bomb.

Detailing is a mix of what you use with what. Again, tell me what you want to do and I'll elaborate.

Edited by OR99.5Speed

I use Black Magic or Mother's products. Last Maguire product I used didn't impress me, which pissed me off since everyone toutes them as the best.

Megs isn't the best, its just that most of their line is the best you can by at the store, and by a very, very wide margin.

Other than leather maintaining products interior stuff, at least for trucks like Pathfinders is limited and really is not that important. A lot of it comes down to personal preference, but I hate shiny/slippery Armor-All type products.

A good idea for wiping down the interior is a cloth with damp, warm water. Easy way to remove dust and dirt without leaving a distracting, ugly shine.

Just remember not to ever rub dirt into any surface, as it is mega-abrasive. Be very careful when cleaning the plasic cover on the gauges, as it scratches very easily. I use a microfiber cloth and Meguires PlastX. (which works wonders on headlights too).

This is the best stuff for leather Conditioner (I do leather work as a hobby). That stuff will make dry brittle leather soft again. It won't fix cracks in leather, but will keep them from forming.

As for shinny slippery stuff, only place I don't want that is on the steering wheel and shifter knobs.

i have black magic and meguires..i love them both. but for the glass, inside and out, i use zep...i have a can of it and use it often. i love it!

Never heard of Zep.

For glass, I love Invisible Glass. It can be found at Autozone, etc. and at Wal-Mart. It's a spray bottle but works very well.

When cleaning class, use only clean microfiber cloths, or believe it or not newspaper works well too. Give it a try.

I don't know what kind of Black Magic stuff y'all are using, are you talking about interior products?

This is the best stuff for leather Conditioner (I do leather work as a hobby). That stuff will make dry brittle leather soft again. It won't fix cracks in leather, but will keep them from forming.

As for shinny slippery stuff, only place I don't want that is on the steering wheel and shifter knobs.

Looks like an interesting leather product.

The best kit for heavy-duty leather repairs is Leatherique, but the kit is a couple of hundred bucks but is amazing.

the BEST thing I've used so far, when i did Top to bottom Cleanups on my pathy, was a bistle steam vac, Mr clean mixed in with some water and a nice soft rag, and finally a vaccum with various attachments. if you're really picky, a toothbrush goes a long way to clean in the cracks, just make sure you have a rag of some sort that will fit in there to wipe out the excess soap and water, otherwise all you did was move the dirt.

leather seats like mink oil

:o Don't do that!!!!!

Mink oil is a water repelent, it can stain your seat and your clothes not to mention it can cause the leather to dry and crack in the sun (just think about why you don't put butter on a sunburn). -thnkboutit-