Headlight Problems...

Orangetang

My Driver's side low-beam does not work. I replaced the bulb, and the low-beam still does not work. I tried a couple more bulbs I had, and still the low-beam doesn't work.. The highbeam and running lights work though.... I found the two 'fuses' or whatever (for the left and right headlight) under the hood in the black box closest to the front of the engine. I pulled them out placed the one from the bulb that works into the non-workign side... Same problem. So it can't be the fuse or the bulb. That leaves, the wiring?

What should I do? Is there another fuse/module I need to be checking?

2002 Pathfinder Chilkoot

sounds like a wireing issue since only on one side. check the plug at the bulb. wiggle the wires while the low beams are "on."

I did that, and I cleaned the bulb contacts, harness contacts and fuse blocks with electrical contact cleaner... Also wiggled the harness wiring down to the bulb with no luck. not even a flicker.

take out the cointray under your steeing wheel. There's a fusebox in there.

there is a diagram on the top of the cointray.

im not sure if theres a headlight fuise in there

Edited by FUELER

Yeah, sounds like it. Remove the switch, open up the semi-clear plastic part on it and clean the contacts inside.

So the headlight switch has separate contacts for left and right and high and low beams? :shrug:

That is one way to make things more complicated than they need to be.

So the headlight switch has separate contacts for left and right and high and low beams?  :shrug:

That is one way to make things more complicated than they need to be.

That's right (at least in the WD21's anyway), it also makes for an expensive replacement... speaking from experience :angry:

I "tweaked" it till it could not be tweaked anymore, then I had no other choice but to replace it :(

Edited by RedPath88

The switch never gets removed (at least, I don't think I had to remove mine, anyway).

Disconnect the negative cable on the batt., then pull off the plastic around the steering column. There will be a white plastic cover over the switch (I don't remember if it is held down by rivets or what, but I recall delicately prying it apart so I could get to the contacts). Finally, you can clean those contacts with a small file and a little electrical contact cleaner. I used some stuff called De-oxit that I scored from my time with Xerox, but I think Radio shack or Fry's has similar stuff.

The switch never gets removed (at least, I don't think I had to remove mine, anyway).

Just makes it easier to work on if it's out of the truck :shrug:

But yeah, pull the plastic column cover off, undo the wire connection (2 if it has the cruise controls in it), then it has 2 screws holding the switch assembly onto the column.

I used needle files and emery cloth to clean mine, no issues since. :aok:

My Driver's side low-beam does not work. I replaced the bulb, and the low-beam still does not work. I tried a couple more bulbs I had, and still the low-beam doesn't work.. The highbeam and running lights work though.... I found the two 'fuses' or whatever (for the left and right headlight) under the hood in the black box closest to the front of the engine. I pulled them out placed the one from the bulb that works into the non-workign side... Same problem. So it can't be the fuse or the bulb. That leaves, the wiring?

What should I do? Is there another fuse/module I need to be checking?

2002 Pathfinder Chilkoot

You have a PM.

If you follow what I said, you will never have this sort of issue with your lights ever again.

PM me on how you went with it.

You have a PM.

If you follow what I said, you will never have this sort of issue with your lights ever again.

Let us all know how it works out, Vsicks info is generally very good. :aok:

You have a PM.

Yes Vsicks is right... installing relays in the headlights system to move the main power out of the switch, is a far better way of powering them... It is something Nissan should have done in the first place... would have saved me a chunk of change!

• 2 weeks later...

I took a look at this today. Either I'm lost, or you guys are talking about a different model or something. I removed the 5 screws holding the column cover together, then the 2 that hold the signal/headlight arm assembly in place. That chunk isn't white, or semi-clear plastic, but black, and has two pin connectors on it. One white with about 10 or so pins and a brown one with 4. The housing on this assembly itself looks nearly impossible to get into without breaking, so I put it all back together.

I should mention, if I havn't yet, that the two blue 'modules (or whatever)' under the hood for L light and R light click when the lights are turned on. If I remove one and aplac eit in the other, it still clicks, be it the L high or L low. If that thing is clicking, it must be getting power, so wouldn't the problem be in the wiring between there and the light, rather than a switch in the steering column?

Edited by Orangetang

You're all wrong... Day-Time running light module... $289...

That kinda sucks... For the record, the R50s have fuses, relays and a DTRL module.

I really appreciate the assistance though. Thanks everyone.

Edited by Orangetang