how far can you push the timing belt

FUELER

i'm at 105,000 miles right now in my 99 QX4.

i'm planning on going to baja this week, what are the chances of my timing belt popping within the next 600 miles? how far do you guys go between intervals?

please advise,

heres a pic of my destination

Sunrise.jpg

SunlitPB.jpg

Go for it. I chickened out, but I there have been Pathfinder owners going more than 200k miles on the original.

I forget who it is on this board, but his friend has a 99.5 LE that he hardly maintains with 230k highway miles or something crazy.

I forget who it is on this board, but his friend has a 99.5 LE that he hardly maintains with 230k highway miles or something crazy.

230K on a stock belt? Sheesh...I know I have a chain, but that seems a lil risky :unsure:

That's a lot of miles for a 7 y.o. truck...what's that, 34K miles annually?

I can't for the life of me remember who it was! It was an R50 owner...

Anyways, he changed his friend's timing belt, which went smoothly, and then changed his and ran into a few hitches...I'm gonna try and find the thread, it's really pissing me off!

Damn 3.5 owners have a chain! -thnkboutit-

on my '97 QX4

i bought it with 132k miles...drove it for another 8k before i decided to check in with an infiniti dealer to find out if there have been any t-belt changes in her history...there weren't, so i changed it along with the rest of the belts/seals.

they say change it every 60k or so, but hell, if my QX4 can last 140,000 miles w/o a change, i'm sure you can last another 600 =)

but don't get pissed off at me if it does snap within the next 600 =P

they say change it every 60k or so, but hell, if my QX4 can last 140,000 miles w/o a change, i'm sure you can last another 600 =)

engineering safety calculations dictate that you half and quarter the numbers you come up with.. i felt safe going a 100k on a 60k belt.. and guess what.. the newer wd21 can go to 110k according to nissan.. :lol:

I got mine changed at 100K. Somewhere here it was recommended that you also

change the water pump while you're in there, but I didn't. Now at 126K and just

wondering how long it will live...

i drive a 96 R50 with like 184,2xx miles on it, everything on the engine is stock besides like the routine oil changing and i think my belts have been changed 3-4 times in its life, on and 2 o2 sensors have been changed and thats it. on my 3rd tranny tho...

i drive a 96 R50 with like 184,2xx miles on it, everything on the engine is stock besides like the routine oil changing and i think my belts have been changed 3-4 times in its life, on and 2 o2 sensors have been changed and thats it. on my 3rd tranny tho...

dude. do the t-belt sometime soon. you wont be sorry. it's not worth risking the whole engine. that can get expensive.

1 Tensioner, TENSIONER, Pathfinder - VG33E $49.90

1 Timing belt, TIMING BELT, Pathfinder - VG33E $29.02

2 Camshaft seal, CAMSHAFT SEAL, Pathfinder - VG33E $6.00

1 FRONT CRANK SEAL, Pathfinder, NDK - VG33E $4.15

1 THERMOSTAT, Pathfinder $8.72

1 WATER PUMP, Pick-Up, Pathfinder, $75.00

takes anywhere from 3-8 hours depending on your skill level

if you don't know what you're doing, get some help from someone who does...

Edited by FUELER