Friend gave me a kickass fire extinguisher!

Filthy Luker

as old as this thing looks it maybe worth less. they do depressurize over time, you know?

As part of the auditing of forestry operations I do I have to look at things like this and when they were last inspected and I can tell you that unless it has been recently inspected it is probably worthless and may actually be worse if you are believing that you have a functional extinguisher when in fact you do not.

Get it checked out before you put any faith in its abilities to work.

What we find that in addition to the pressure going down, the actual powder settles and compacts over time. So even if it is pressurized, you may only get propellant. This tendency to settle is worse with the more banging the extinguisher gets (ie in a truck).

When my parents bought a house in the mid-70's, the unfinished basement had glass balls about the size of a softball, coated in a clear red, sitting in holders screwed to the posts. In case of fire, you were supposed to throw these at the fire! Had some chemical in them that was supposed to help put out the fire.

The house dated to about 1910, so needles to say we did not count on those. Should have gone to a museum. Wish I kept one when they moved out, oh well.

i have seen those. there were also little cans that you shook at the fire.. lol.

my x's family were a bunch of firemen and one had a collection of sprinkler heads and all kinds of extinguishing equipment used throughout the ages.. interesting science fo sho..

i have seen those. there were also little cans that you shook at the fire.. lol.

my x's family were a bunch of firemen and one had a collection of sprinkler heads and all kinds of extinguishing equipment used throughout the ages.. interesting science fo sho..

yup yup, ffs tend to collect that kinda stuff, i found a an old water extinguisher out in the woods, it needs a new gasket and it will work fine, i was thinking about using it as a soda tap or something :beer: sssh

Thats cool homie, but I think I got you beat.

First check date says 1956, and checked each year after to 1958, It should be from 1955....

1955.jpg

Same company, Ive had it in my garage since Ive lived here, it was my grandpas and I keep it cous its so damn cool looking...