Problems after oil change

Guest Brent in RC

Guest Brent in RC

I just had my oil changed in my 95 SE and at the first stop light I thought the motor was idling rough but figured I'd drive it and see if it settled down. I drove about 12 miles and noticed a TON of smoke that seemed to be coming from my exhaust pipe and I seemed to have less power going up a good sized hill. I took it back to the shop and they said they had spilled oil on the exhaust and that caused the smoke. One of the mechanics sat in the drivers seat and said the vibration was normal. They suggested it was always there and I just now noticed it. I left the shop. On the way home I saw a large amount of smoke from my pipe again and the vibration was still there. I'm sure it was not there before, I can see my visors vibrating and my steering wheel vibrates as well. My question is does any one have any suggestions as to what they could have done that would cause these symptoms? Thanks.

Edited by Brent in RC

first off, find out what kind/type of oil they put in your pathy... second.. check the fluid level.. third.. check the oil filter.... and fourth..... DON'T GO TO AN OIL CHANGE PLACE!! gawd! it takes 15 mins and you don';t even have to jack yer pathy up. really... i have heard too many horror stories like this the past few months and it just makes my skin crawl...

i hope it's nothing serious.... but do find out before more damage is done. check to see if any wires have been knocked off as well... sensors... wires..... anything...

wow. another shining example of why i diy.. good luck.. i am thinking along slicks thoughts here, especially the latter. check everything and if you don't find the culprit go to another mechanic and have it checked out.. keep records just in case you have to go after the lube place...

they wrecked one of my cars long time ago and that was the last time i didn't do my own oil change.

When I was just started to drive, I overfilled the oil in my cutlass. Man did it smoke. I drained the excess oil and it ended up okay. Maybe you got an overfill?

The problem with the oil change place is that they put the fluids in with a nozzle dispenser. I've always had a phobia of getting brake fluid or tranny fluid instead of motor oil. I've never heard of this happening, but it looks like they could easily grab the wrong hose when they're trying to get you out in less than 5 minutes.

Guest Brent in RC

I checked all the cables and spark plugs and distributer. I can tell they didn't touch them because the dust is still intact. I will check the oil level, that sounds like it could be the problem. Thanks for the help everyone.

Edited by Brent in RC

Guest Brent in RC

I checked the oil at dusk and it looked like it was overfilled. I will check again in the morning with good light but I'm pretty sure it has too much oil.

if it has too much oil.. try to drain it into a clean pan then put the correct amount in your truck.. or better still.. take it back to teh numbnutz who did it and tell them to get it right. these aren't 6 quart chevys.... P...

Guest Brent in RC

Update:

I just drained ONE GALLON of oil out and it is now sitting at full. In good light today I could see the oil on the dip-stick wire was about 2 inches above the full line! I'm looking for a container and am going to take it back and first-off have them confirm that the current oil level is correct and then have them look at how much I drained.

I have to say that is an amazing level of incompetency on their part.

Go in there and say:

"You overfilled my truck. I only paid for enough to properly fill my truck and I am no thief. This oil is yours... but the container is mine."

Then pour it out on the service counter.

Edited by jj big shoe

Go in there and say:

"You overfilled my truck. I only paid for enough to properly fill my truck and I am no thief. This oil is yours... but the container is mine."

LMAO! :lol:

"Clean up on aisle 5" :laugh:

As far as damage to your ride, check your plugs and rinse them with some gas. They might foul with all that oil on them. Some experienced Mechanics can chime in and let you know if the overfill could cause problems with seals or gaskets. Like I said it happened to me once before, self inflicted. I just drained the oil and no problems afterwards. Hope it is nothing more than inconvinent.

Go in there and say:

:laugh: LMAO! That would be hilarious. If you do this, be sure to:

a) RUN!

B) Have a friend waiting nearby with a camera

c) Post it!

Guest Brent in RC

Yeah, the dipstick is pretty hard to read. They refunded the money and were very appologetic about it. I'll change the plugs later this week, I'm sure they need it anyway. Thanks for all the help guys.

Two separate people probably filled it without checking to see if it had already been done. They should have caught that on the safety doublechecks, but the dipstick for a Pathy is hard to read already...probably missed it.

Or somebody forgot to drain the old oil from it. Saw that happen once. Can't believe you went back the first time and they didn't check the level. Obviously they don't check before the vehicle leaves the shop.

If you haven't yet, get an acknowledgement in WRITING that they overfilled it and accept responsibility for any damage.

Overfilling CAN cause serious damage sometimes. Sounds like you were not one of the un-lucky ones, but problems may not appear right away. If grossly overfilled, some engines will hydraulic lock and break cranks or crack cases.... And with just a little overfilling (like more than a half quart high), the oil gets slapped and whipped up by the crankshaft assemblyu. At higher rpms, it can get whipped enough to become an oil "foam" that doesn't pump worth a darn, leading to oil starvation damage (bearings, rings, etc).

Again, not trying to panic you, it's far more likely everything will be perfectly fine. BUT, protect yourself just in case. If you develop a rod knock or oil consumption goes up in the next few thousand miles, you need all you can to get them to be held liable.