Rear Bumper Group Purchase

Racer38

It will be at least as strong, probably stronger. In addition to the current brackets you see, there will be an additional brace between the receiver and the unibody where the spare tire chain-lift mechanism attaches, sort of like this:

499947-35_rbumper_bkt.jpg

Basically, when the bumper is fully mounted, it will be attached to the unibody with 14 bolts:

5 bolts on each side (where a standard Class III hitch mounts), and 4 bolts where the spare tire used to attach. This will make it exceptionally strong, able to withstand pretty hard hits. It's probably more likely that in a rear-end collision, the unibody attachments may bend before the bumper will. I would guess that the bumper so far weighs about 70 lbs.

Dean, that looks awesome so far. Is there any way this guy will be able to build another one in the future without a a vehicle to build one off of?

Yes. They have already recorded the measurements, angles, etc. to build more when mine, the prototype, is done. The first one is always the toughest to design and build, especially since I'm very picky, and I want it to look awesome and work flawlessly.

Yes. They have already recorded the measurements, angles, etc. to build more when mine, the prototype, is done. The first one is always the toughest to design and build, especially since I'm very picky, and I want it to look awesome and work flawlessly.

Do we have a final price yet?

I just went back and looked at the original CBI bumper and compared it with the one being built for my truck. The CBI bumper looks like it uses 1.5" tubing. Mine uses 1.75" tubing, so it will be stronger. Unfortunately, this also means it's heavier and will cost more.

Final pricing (and options) won't be determined until my prototype is finished. Fortunately, the shop owner is a perfectionist, and he wants to make sure it's done right. He wants to be just as pleased with the finished product as I do.

Perhaps if there's enough interest, I can convince him to build front bumpers as well using my truck as the template. Right now, it seems the only R50 front bumper available is the "wincher" bumper from Kennesaw Mtn. Accessories.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
could it be altered to keep the spare underneath?

Unfortunately, no. The reason why the trailer hitch is so low and sticks out so much is because of the spare tire. The bumper would have to also stick out just as far and as low as a standard trailer hitch, negating any advantage the bumper provides.

You can, however, opt out of the gas can mount.

• 1 month later...

I've been watching this for some time and am very anxious to see the final product. Would a deposit from serious buyers help move this along?

Is there any way to add a lock to the jerry can and jack or are these things typically removed for daily driving?

...eagerly awaiting more pictures.

for daily driving u can leave the jack and can on, but i do not suggest leaving the gerry can full of gas...

think of the damage that would ensue if you filled it up and got rear ended....not fun at all....

The bumper is done, but the builder is recording measurements for it (and hopefully making a jig) for production. I'm scheduled to have the bumper mounted next Friday (Feb 2), which is when I will take some final photos.

Pricing and distribution options have not yet been determined.

As for a lock for the jerry-can, yes, it's lockable:

DSC06549.jpg

You can buy the holder and Wedco jerry cans here.

Edited by XPLORx4