# of lug nuts...

02silverpathy

Maybe a lame question but....

I have stripped 2 of my studs on one of the front wheels messing with some generic/expensive wheel lug nuts...I have 4 functioning nuts that are working fine and torq'd to 92 ft/lbs. Is this unsafe to drive on untill I can pull the front hubs off and replace the studs??

p.s........the Gorilla lug nuts are crap...they will go on crooked and then strip your sh** coming back off!!! LEAVE THIS BRAND ALONE!!!!

And incidentally I do not use air to put my lugs on as I relish my Chrome... sssh look at my avatar!!

If you would have said 1 stripped out.. I would have said you could get away with it for a few days, but 2 is a bit dodgy. Your wheels will feel unbalanced, and it puts extra strain in the lugs that are still in use. I am sure there is other damage that can come from driving with 2 less lugs.. but in the end it is your decision. Unless you do something stupid your wheels will not fall off... lol.

Hopefully someone else will chime in on this issue also with more info. I personally wouldn't do it with 2 stripped and useless lugs. :beer:

I had my lugs replaced by the dealer the other day as I stripped ALL OF THEM (had the truck towed and the works..) It cost me less than a $100 canadian for everything including labour. It can be a lot more expensive if you neglect it.

Also chrome don't get ya home. sly

Yeah, the thread pitch was right! I was using the hubcentric lugs that reach like8-10 threads deeper than the OEM so that my .25" wheel spacer wasn't going to keep the wheel from being tightened on. Upon removal...a couple did not want to come off...when they did they and my studs looked like hell! I put on 1.25" adapters but was concerned about the # of working studs/lugs so I left her sit last night and took the Honda (that is selling on eBay right now!).

Chrome don't get ya home!! LOL, that's very cute!! :laugh:

I had my lugs replaced by the dealer the other day as I stripped ALL OF THEM (had the truck towed and the works..) It cost me less than a $100 canadian for everything including labour. It can be a lot more expensive if you neglect it.

thats not bad price at all......if worst comes to worst just swap out rotor only should take about twenty minutes. that way u know they are all good

If your missing lugs happen to be directly opposite then you won't really have any problems for a while as long as you take it easy. As far as balance goes; you won't really notice it being that they nuts are very close to the center of the rotational force. Putting new studs in is quite easy if you have an impact gun, a big hammer, a lug nut that is of no other use than a tool, and a block of wood to use as a base for the rotor (it absorbs the vibrations better and helps to prevent cracking of the rotor due to impacts. hth good luck.

Wheel studs are semi-famous for stripping out, regardless of which lug nuts you use. Mine has had four stripped out front studs so far. Replaced, fixed, noo more probs to date. The studs are kinda hard to find if you're going to a generic mechanic and not the stealership, but then again you could just get some from a stealership and then go to a mechanic. ;)

First off, to answer the question: 4 will be fine 99.999% of the time - assuming the 4 have not been excessively weakened by overtorquing or damage. It 's the .0001% of the time when you have to make an emergency evasive manuever that it will bite you. 3 would even be fine IF (and only if) they were in an undamaged condition and evenly distributed. A safety factor of 2 would be the minimum for a critical fastener like that.

After that, I have to put on my engineer hat and say they should never, ever strip. Take care of them - they are critical!

* Always use a torque wrench. Never exceed maximum torque. Doing so is what causes most failures - overtorquing stretches the bolt, weakening it and distorting threads. Overtorque it once, and it is screwed forever. Period.

* Never let garage monkeys use impact wrench to install! Do it yourself. Insist on doing it yourself.

* If the bolt will not spin on freely, STOP! If the threads on the stud are damaged, chase them. If the nut is damage, replace it.

Never had one loosen, strip, or fail since I started doing these things about 20 years ago.

Over time I have replaced about 12 studs on the pathys. They cost about $1.25 at Auto Zone. They are the right studs. Pound them out with a hammer, pull them back in with a air wrench. Job takes about 10 minutes max per stud.