Cost of 300zx manifold studs

leojharris

Tip, call a dealer ;)

However I just called two of them and as I often say call around when pricing a dealer item... prices can vary GREATLY.

Dealer 1 3.20ea

Dealer 2 5.40ea

*Both prices are for the studs ONLY

Oh and both dealers said there was no "upgraded" studs, they are the sme thing on all VG30's :shrug:

Packie, where did you get them... dealer or parts store?

Thats what my local dealer told me too.

I'm probably going to swap to bolts when I finally do mine.

got mine at the dealer.

bellevue nissan for those in washington.

it was some like 5 and change for 12 studs

it was like 2 or 3 dollars for the nuts

and like 90 cents a piece fro the washers.

and you need 12 of each (6 for each side)

I'm going to go with bolts on mine when I get headers. Bolts with two lock washers, two sets of gaskets and a kiss goodbye to ticking manifolds!

I agree, I am still temped to remove the new studs that I just put in and replace them with bolts... but then, I may just wait till I get headers :shrug:

I agree, I am still temped to remove the new studs that I just put in and replace them with bolts... but then, I may just wait till I get headers :shrug:

Bolts are a new idea for me.

What is the benefit of bolts?

Will bolts work with the existing manifold?

If I get headers, what sort of bolts should

I purchase?

thanks .

.joel.

Guest Big Jim Swade

You will still have to fix the broken studs if you install headers or stock manifolds. Headers have their own headaces, so I would go with the stock manifolds. When I did mine I spent about $70 on each side which included having the manifold surface ground to ensure a flat mounting surface. I did mine 2 years ago and haven't had any problems yet.

Headers give a very decent power boost and aren't THAT bad to install. It's just the EGR bung that gives people trouble. Bend the stock EGR line a little and it should match up just fine, AFAIH.

The deal with bolts is just that they're cheaper and just as effective. Get grade 8.8 or higher, though. Don't use grade 5 bolts, they might not like the heat cycling they'll be put through.

All you need to do is install the studs from a VG33 on the outboard stud holes. They are 10mm as opposed to 8mm so you have to drill and tap but I have never seen a manifold leak again after installing the larger studs in the head.

Studs are a dealer item that pricing can be good to absurd depending on the dealer. $1.25 is an ok price. Just use harded metric washers from anyone. You must insist with the dealer for the bolts for the turbo. Otherwise most of the parts guys are just plain stupid and tell you that there is no difference. The packages are marked differently from Nissan.

I have replaced many studs. I like 88's statement about using bolts. I have every belief that would work fine. I do not recommend PATZX300's statement about drilling it out. These aluminum head can be very tricky unleass you know EXACTLY what you are doing. The water passages are very close to the stud holes. If you are not a machinist or very skilled in rebuilding engines, you could be asking for trouble. One slip and you are done, the head is toast with no repair posible. I do have spare dissasembled heads for a VG30. I also would guess that Ksar9 does also.

Good luck

One slip and you are done, the head is toast with no repair posible.

Not true, but the fix isn't simple.

1. Find a good aluminum welder in your area

2. Have them fill the hole solid

3. re-drill and tap being more carefull this time ;)

I just picked up all the nuts and bolts so to speak for my new Thorley headers...

QTY Part # Name

12 14065-V5004 Stud-Manifold

12 14039-W1500 Nut

12 14037-v5005 Washer-Lock

02 14037-v5000 Gasket-Manifold exhaust

I paid $111 for everything at my local Nissan dealer...The part # for the studs are for the 300zx twin turbo (revised stud) I was given what I thought was a really good discount for the parts because as I was told by the parts guy..."putting headers on your pathfinder is probably the best solution for a pemanent fix for the exhaust leak...but you didn't hear that from me."

• 8 months later...
I just picked up all the nuts and bolts so to speak for my new Thorley headers...

QTY Part # Name

12 14039-W1500 Nut

Could I use that Parts List in my 93' Pathy SEV6 VG30E, too?

In that Parts List are there included the revised studs (300ZX)?

Regards,

Guest SuperSon

QTY Part # Name

12 14039-W1500 Nut

I paid $111 for everything at my local Nissan dealer...The part # for the studs are for the 300zx twin turbo (revised stud) I was given what I thought was a really good discount for the parts because as I was told by the parts guy..."putting headers on your pathfinder is probably the best solution for a pemanent fix for the exhaust leak...but you didn't hear that from me."

:o That is outrageous.

Im going to use bolts and like with what 88oath said 8.8 grade..Plenty of those at a commercial fastener store.

Ive red somewhere here before that a bolt is better coz if it breaks its going to break on the head.

:aok:

Guest SuperSon
I'm going to go with bolts on mine when I get headers. Bolts with two lock washers, two sets of gaskets and a kiss goodbye to ticking manifolds!

That is a great idea. I would rather spend the money on the extra gasket than pay for a set of nuts and bolts at the dealer.

Do you think stainless steel bolts would hold up to the heat?

Let us know when you get yours done :aok:

• 1 month later...

*giggles* i have a bolt in mini me's heads... sssh

• 1 year later...

QTY Part # Name

12 14039-W1500 Nut

Could anyone tell a good Nissan dealer in Miami or Ft Lauderdale, to buy those parts ?

This was going to be a near future next job for my pathy, but now I'm confused. I thought 300zx studs is the way, but reading this thread some people actually use 'bolts'? From homedepot or auto parts store? What is the major difference from using either or? Studs or bolts, which is better recommended? Maybe 88path has photo of the bolts/studs to see difference..you know you the man with that digicam :)