PS Pump Howling

Simon

Alright Guru's....I need some help....

My PS pump is howling like a banshee when the truck warms up. It had squeaked for quite some time, and I've greased/lubed the shaft behind the pulley for a while, and it always quieted down for a couple of days.

Anyways, it's not leaking at all, and my power steering is as functional as ever, but, the pump now howls.

So has anyone here ever rebuilt/reconditioned one? Or would I be better off to simply find one at a junk yard?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer. :beer:

Yeah...PS fluid is good...........And nothing leaks.

I was afraid of the price......didn't think I'd wanna know!! :D

May be time for a trip to the wrecker.

cant say i can see whats goin on, but it sounds like a bush has gone somewhere in the pump.

i havent rebuilt a nissan pump but i have rebuilt a commodore pump and it was very very simple. as far as rebuilding - once the backing plate was off, there was three 'o ring' seals, a bush where the main shaft rotated and and front main seal.

there was post a little while ago with someone asking about steering stuff and they had some good diagrams posted up about a power steering box and pump. from memory the pump in the diagram looked very similar to what i had seem in the commodore pump.

rockauto.com lists repair/reseal kits for $9.29-$13.62. However I think it has been said that they do not ship to Canada. partsamerica.com also lists them for $18.99

Point is, it would seem they are availible. It's just a matter of finding a place that you can get them from.

Thanks guys.

I do have a FSM which does have an exploded view of the Pump assembly. I'll see if I can get a rebuild kit for it. I'm 99% sure the issue is with the bearing inside....as there is no leaks....but it's making noises.

When it warms up i gotta make a trip to the wreckers... There is a good one in Georgetown. I'll let you know.. in the meantime, there are some PS fluids you can buy at Crappy Tire, maybe just flush the fluid and see what happens?

If it's a bearing, then take the pump apart and go to a bearing shop to find a new one... Even Princess Auto has many popular bearing sizes in stock for like $5 each.

Edited by Filthy Luker

Hey Luker, I live in Acton, so Georgetown may be a good option for me. Where's the wrecking yard?

I've tried draining/refilling with new fluid.....no luck.

I may try to see what PA has. Good tip on that one.

Your assignment:

1) Get a cheap one from a JY and slap it in so you can drive.

2) Take the old one apart and figure out if it can be repaired. Take pictures and educate the rest of us! I really expect it is just a bad bearing and can be repaired for only a few dollars. But, I've also been wrong before...

Sucks to be first, doesn't it? It's OK to squeak like a guinea pig.... as long as no one is around to hear.

Good luck!

Your assignment:

1) Get a cheap one from a JY and slap it in so you can drive.

2) Take the old one apart and figure out if it can be repaired. Take pictures and educate the rest of us! I really expect it is just a bad bearing and can be repaired for only a few dollars. But, I've also been wrong before...

Sucks to be first, doesn't it? It's OK to squeak like a guinea pig.... as long as no one is around to hear.

Good luck!

If I get one at a scrap yard, I will do so mws. I assure you! :P

I'm thinking its the front bearing in the pump......

BTW http://www.japaneseusedautoparts.com/ in Scarborough has the pump for $56 as listed on car-parts.com

also

Mega City Auto Recycling

9198 6th Line North, RR #3

Georgetown, ON L7G 4S6

905-457-5713

1-877-777-4142

Fax: 905-877-8135

I kid you not though... full fledged bearing shops are awesome, I get my alternator bearings for $11 from them (PA doesn't have that size)

Hmm.....I thought you may have been talking about megaCity....I've never been, but have been meaning to go.....

I've used Japanese Used Auto Parts in Scarborough a few times.

Thanks again Filthy! :beer:

You need to disasamble PS pump to change the noisy bearing. The bearing is sealed type one row, SKF number for this part is SKF: 6202-2RSH. Change the seal to, but i don't have the part number. When you get it out, measure it and get proper size replacement. P...

The hardest part to this task is get the PS pulley off :blink:

Edited by Ginc

Wow....Thanks for the info Ginc. Actually, my pulley comes off fairly easily. I had it off a while back to try to grease the bearing....unsuccessfully.

• 1 year later...

Alrighty so my power steering pump died on me today and shot the fluid everywhere as I rolled into the work parking lot. So I've ordered a new one for $195 and which came in today (god bless work and them claiming it was an emergency part) and I plan on installing and then checking out and rebuilding my old one since we rebuild gas pumping units I figure this would be similar except on a smaller scale and hope to tell you of my endeavors.

EDIT: Well I did it today after work and replaced it with the rebuilt pump. I've taken a quick look at it and just appears I blew the gasket so I'm praying that is all and going to rebuild it and keep it in my stock just in case... no problems replacing it just a few bolts and removing the tension from the belt,etc.

Edited by Smithk