Need some advice

GreenEnvy94Pathy

There is a very reputable dealer in Boise where I live that has a 1989 Nissan Pathfinder SE-V6 for sale. It has 208,000 miles, white with blue interior, and fairly clean. It came from the eastern US so it has a little rust on the bumpers (no big deal) and some rust above the rear quarter panel drivers side.

I have never had a two door. Question is... are the 2 doors as rust prone as the 93-95's, and what problem areas should I be looking for. Other that the above stated, its looks very well taken care of, the interior looks like it just came off the assembly line. Oh ya they were asking $3995 out the door, I was able to talk them down to $2300. Should I bite???? Please help, this would be the 3rd addition to the family of Pathfinders. Thanks

$2300 does seem a bit high, especially when I've found 93's and 94's in the area going for $1500 or so. Of course thats private party, but still you could probably find a 2 door locally for a lot less. Hell mine only cost $450.

As far as the rust issues go, I think something changed frame wise around 93-94 that makes the newere frames less resistant. Maybe someone with more know-how can chime in.

Edited by Harbinger

$3995 seems a bit high for that high of miles, but $2300 wouldn't be bad around here (WA) really. Obviously that depends on the shape of the truck but they tend to go for a bit more near the west coast than back east where rust is a hobby.

As far as the rust issues go, I think something changed frame wise around 93-94 that makes the newere frames less resistant. Maybe someone with more know-how can chime in.

Yeah, the older frames were better, less prone to the rear rust out behind the wheels in the 80s. Look for rust in the floorboards instead on that; unter the pedals, rear seats and rear seat foot wells (crawl under and look at them). If they look like they are flaking, then they are probably rusted through and the solid part you see is the floor insulation.

I agree, that sounds a little high. There was a nice silver 89 SE 4x4 manual with all the options for sale over there with a lot less than 200k (can't remember atm, something like 150) for $2000, which sounds like a better deal than the one you're looking at. If you're looking for a nice 2dr, I'd say to keep looking.

Why are you looking for another one anyway? That green one probably wants to be lifted etc. This is the same reason I won't buy a second vehicle, it means affording twice as many mods :rolleyes:

Pathfinders are grossly undervalued and under priced in my area (NoCal).

It would have to be really clean with minimal needs to warrant $2300 here.

Like new battery, tires, brakes, tune up, near perfect interior and body, etc.

I found mine for $500 but it needed a thorough tune up, some TLC (aka, caressing with a sledgehammer!), new stereo, brakes, exhaust, and new tires. For $1500, it was running great and looking "good". Had 175K mostly freeway miles (still original clutch).

But then again, I think a really clean 1st Gen Pathfinder is worth much more than $2300! They are awesome little buggers. Reliable, capable, reasonably practicle.

In fact, if you offered to give me a Cherokee that was sellable for $4000 and a Pathfinder that was sellable for $2500, I would take the Pathy in a heartbeat. They are worth more than they sell for, whereas Heeps (IMO) are worth a lot less than they sell for.

So if it is really clean, it is worth it. But with enough digging and careful shopping, you likely could score a better deal.

I have had the pleasure of the 2 door and the 4... With Kids 4door rules... Without Kid 2doors are alot of fun...

Lots of miles and the price is High... If you want to add a 2 door to your collection B) , I would suggest shopping around, I saw one here in Spokane, wheels n deals 1 owner for $1200...

They are out there just need to look around... If you would like I can see if I can find one here 8 hour drive, one way ticket is reasonable...

When my wife found my 95 I had all but given up on finding a decent one locally... the Day after I bought it I saw several 4-sale and even the 91 I bought from my manager....

I bought my 94 se on ebay for $4000...80,000 miles...have had it for 6 months, its loaded except for leather which i dont like, and not 1 dent....runs perfect....dont even think about payin that much....oh yeah and $600 to deliver to my door on an 18 wheeler.