Larger oil filter

88pathoffroad

Just so everyone knows, a generic GM/Chevy #PH3600 (WIX/NAPA #51516) oil filter fits perfectly fine on the VG30 block and is slightly larger than the stock-size filter. I'm using one on mine right now. :)

The stock filter is about 3.5" long, the new one is 5.25" long. :) That's quite a substantial increase in internal filtering surface area, actually.

That's some cheap, good insurance against dirty oil and a small increase in oil capacity! I put 4 quarts in when I refilled my oil and the dipstick was still showing a little high, but not enough to worry about.

No tips for the R50-ish? bah!

restprod.jpg

Anyone ever use/heard of this product? I tried it out once, should I continue to use it? I've read some good things about it, just wondering if anyone else on here has.

Edited by 90seven

used this like curse words on my 3.1l chevy corsica...loved it...i really don't think it sped up the age process either...my pop was a machinest for 26 years and said that it is really good for higher mileage engines....the corsica ran strong through 120K miles...bu t there were just too many leaky gaskets! it really just raises the oils ability to coat and to stay bonded...for a period of time longer that it usually would.

I'm just kind of curious as to what the actual advantage is supposed to be?!? You are still pumping the same amount as determined by the oil pump, and i've never had a problem with the filter keeping up. More oil capacity just means, to me at least, mosre oil to put in. As long as the oil and the filter are changed regularly, I don't really see the advantage. I'm not trying to argue the point, just trying to figure out what I'm missing. :shrug:

The more oil is in the system, the cooler it can run and better it can lubricate, especially on cold starts. Better filtration via having more filter element inside is a gimmie, it helps protect the engine. It's not about oil pressure, it's about capacity and filtration.

And if you can squeeze an extra half quart in, that's one less half-empty oil bottle I'll have sitting forgotten on a shelf in the garage. I'm due in about 750 miles, so you know I gotta try it. Besides, maybe the Chevy filter will be cheaper than the already pretty cheap Pathy filter. Go 88!

No tips for the R50-ish? bah!

restprod.jpg

Anyone ever use/heard of this product? I tried it out once, should I continue to use it? I've read some good things about it, just wondering if anyone else on here has.

:bow: i swear by the stuff.. been usin it for years in my chevy (210,000 perfect miles) and pathy (137,000 unmentionable miles) and the Jeep (90,000 reliable miles)... :aok:

Edited by Slick

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

88 i dont think that'll fit on a stock 87...they ran the brake lines right down the frame rail there and i know with the reg filter on the last threads it butts flushly up against that 1...i could see it working on my 95 b/c they did a better job with opening a lil space around the filter...

:shrug:

so once again another good reason to get a lift :D