cb installation

chapter

Hey Trainman.. What are you using for a mount? I'm looking to install my Yaesu FT-90 or Kenwood TM-D700A APRS rig.

Guinness

Its a clamshell type, I will get you a picture on Monday (wife has the camera).

Works well, can be set to any angle form 0 to 180 degrees.

What antenna are you using?

I'm using a Firestik 4' antenna, but it's mounted to my bull bar.

Any CB antenna that's properly mounted and tuned will work fine with the 75WXST. The type of antenna you use depends on how and where you want to mount it.

Dang yer quick...I typed it all out and then accidentally clicked Add Reply before attaching the pic. Then I went to edit it and it took me a while to find it! :o

How's the clearance on the mount with the hood closed? I didn't think I'd be able to fit anything through the crack without drilling a hole.

How's the clearance on the mount with the hood closed?  I didn't think I'd be able to fit anything through the crack without drilling a hole.

The clearance is fine. Those mounts are called "Hood Channel" mounts and they are thin enough to fit just fine. Its the Firestik MK174 mount. :aok:

post-7-1138515454.jpg

Edited by DJ Dank

Guest Guinness
As promised, here are some pictures, hope they help.

Thanks for the pics.. Unfortunately I don't think I'm going to be able to put a rig there as my Pathy is 5-speed. There won't be any room to manage the stick B) there.

Guinness

Edited by Guinness

Thanks for the pics.. Unfortunately I don't tink I'm going to be able to put a rig there as my Pathy is 5-speed. There won't be any room to manage the stick B) there.

Guinness

Yep, that would be a bit of a problem! No magic can fix that :Magic:

Hope it works out.

Apologies for simultaneously cross posting and post-jacking: but.....

Looking at new CB set up for the pathy. Some of these shops offer a service to "tune" the radio, to improve reception... is this crap?

Such as: <<To drastically simplify it, the true tune is a realignment of the transmitter section of the radio. The mega tune involves completely aligning all sections of the radio.>>

I prefer a portable system to swap between vehicles, or on occasion to use on foot for short distances. This is what I'm thinking of -

Midland 75-822 Handheld CB Radio

FS-4, Four Foot Firestik Antenna

Tri-Magnetic Mount Pad

Just wondering if this 'extra tuning' work really does anything on such a relatively simple radio?

No, it is not crap. There is an incredibly slim chance everything is perfectly matched right out of the box, but most users will see at a least a doubling in range with tuning - and some MUCH more than that.

Put your stuff in and see what kind of range you have. If it is inadequate for you, get it tuned.

And with the firestick, I think you can fine tune the length yourself. It's more time consuming without the VSWR meters like the shop has, but it can be done. Tuning just the antenna won't get you quite as much as tuning the entire system, but it is far better than nothing.

Find a big open area. Have a buddy park and continuously talk to you. Drive away until signal fades away. Stop, and adjust antenna length until it signal gets stronger. Drive further on until the same happens. Eventually, tweaking the length even a tiny bit in either direction causes significant loss. You're there.

The type of antenna you use depends on how and where you want to mount it.

@ xplr where is the best location to mount the antenna? If in case that I dont have a bull bar on my Q? And why would it depend on the location? -study-

still figuring out where to put it (radio and antenna). :type:

tiagoqx4 - I am going to mount my antenna to my Thule roof rack. I figure the higher the better, and when it's not in use I was going to get this attachment that lets me fold it down. At least that's the plan.

@ xplr where is the best location to mount the antenna? If in case that I dont have a bull bar on my Q? And why would it depend on the location?  -study- 

I have heard the higher up you put it the better... also in the case of mine, its a magnamount - so its in the center of my roof, high as it's gonna get, and also it 'supposably' will use the surface of my roof to reflect radio waves & help w/ reception..

Although that might be a complete line of crap. :D

I have heard the higher up you put it the better... also in the case of mine, its a magnamount - so its in the center of my roof, high as it's gonna get, and also it 'supposably' will use the surface of my roof to reflect radio waves & help w/ reception..

Although that might be a complete line of crap. :D

No, not crap. It is something we deal with in forestry so the best place to mount an antenna is dead center of the roof. BUT who wants a hole there? And it would interfere with putting stuff on the roof.

On my employer supplied trucks I always got the antenna on the roof. It added about 10 km to the range when talking truck-to-truck, and a good 50 km to the repeater (sort or irrelevant to a cb or ham install but just shows what the difference is).

Good call Pezzy.

Yes the top of the roof is the best place to put it. You want something thats central so as to act as the ground plane for the antenna. But for my purpose, I can't have something that high up sticking up from my roof. My 3 foot Firestik barely hits certain parts of the roof of my parking garage at work.

...so the best place to mount an antenna is dead center of the roof. BUT who wants a hole there? And it would interfere with putting stuff on the roof.

Well I ran the wire to mine from the back hatch... it sits under my basket in the summer, so yeah - I do have to pack around it when I use the rack for camping gear, but it's never really been an issue.

Well I ran the wire to mine from the back hatch... it sits under my basket in the summer, so yeah - I do have to pack around it when I use the rack for camping gear, but it's never really been an issue.

You have a mag mount, so they work well.

My company trucks had them bolted in, hence the hole.