Newby

Guest ExcessCustomz

Guest ExcessCustomz

Hi my name is Scott and i am new here and actually new to the 4X4 world. i just had a few questions i just bought a 87 Automatic Pathfinder i love it to death i am looking to get tires in january and i am stuck between the BFGoodrich allterrain t/a ko's or the Bridgestone dueler a/t's i like them both but was hopeing that someone can give me there ideas on the two also i was looking at the 31x10.5x15 which are stock can i go bigger or just leave the stock size? K now the next question i want to lift it but cant really afford $1000 plus new rims is there a cheaper kit that works alright or should i just save up for the trailmaster kit? I do appreciate any help that you guys can provide look forward to hearing some opinions.

Scott

Welcome to the board...

I cant answer all of your Q's but other here will help you.

either tire you have chosen is a good all round tire.

I have the AT Revo Deulers on my pathy, and the Xterra sports the BFG AT/KO's in the winter.

The BFG's def look more aggressive, if that's what you want. But looks are not everything, my Revos' kicked butt off road last year.

Well Scott...

You're in luck! There are a few cheaper lift options, but you have to ask yourself what do you want out of the lift. Do you want more frame clearance, or do you want to fit bigger tires?

A suspension lift will raise up the WHOLE truck, chassis and drivetrain included, and will allow you to fit bigger meats. However, a suspension lift also affects steering and driveline angles.

A body lift, lifts the body off of the frame 2 or 3". This allows you to fit larger tires, but keeps the frame clearance the same (assuming the tires stay constant) and does not affect steering or driveline angles.

There are a few options for a cheaper susp. lift than the TM kit. You can do a "poor mans" lift using front coil springs from an AWD V8 Jeep Grand Cherokee in the rear and crank up the torsion bars in the front to achieve a couple inches of lift. There is also the AC Lift Kit which is considerably cheaper than the TM, and there's a Calmini option available, too. Or you could buy a set of UCAs from Rough Country, crank the t-bars and add the JGC coils and call it a day and only spend about $250.

Did you follow any of that - cuz my head is swimming right now.... :blink:

I have the BFG AT KO's and they held up quite well on my last run. You can definately go bigger than the 31's but will need a lift to provide the needed clearance. Or, you could do a hackjob on your body like 88 ;)

curious as to why you are looking for new rims. I would leave the stock and invest in the lift.

Cheapest list is definately JGC springs and cranking your t-bars but upgrading your UCA's is preferred so you don't have alignment issues or balljoint failures.

and... welcome to the boards.

Guest ExcessCustomz

Thank you for your help. i was looking into new rims because the TM lift kit requires that you buy new rims. As far as cranking up the T-Bars i heard that it makes it a uncomfortable ride Is this True? Where can i look into the springs at? I would love to lift it for as cheap as you guys say. If i do the lift with new springs and crank up the T-Bars what size tire can i go with without bogging down my Engine? I do thank all of you for your help

Happy New Years

You can comfortably fit a 31x10.50" tire on your stock wheels, and you ought to be able to fit a 32x11.50" tire as well.

I think that the TM lift should be a final thing. Yes, cranking the T-bars will affect the ride of the truck, but I wouldn't say it makes it uncomfortable. It'll ride more like a truck, and that's a good thing!

You can get the JGC springs from a Junkyard or, you can purchase a set from 88Pathoffroad right here. Check out the Classifieds under Parts For Sale. He may still have some laying around.

Guest ExcessCustomz

K i was looking around for the UCA's Rough country doesnt sell any UCA's that i could find for the pathfinder but they do sell the kit including the UCA's New Shocks and rear shackles for the hardbody P/U is this the same thing will it fit my Pathfinder? And i think i will go with the 32x11.5 BFG AT KO's as long as it doesnt bog my engine too much

K i was looking around for the UCA's Rough country doesnt sell any UCA's that i could find for the pathfinder but they do sell the kit including the UCA's New Shocks and rear shackles for the hardbody P/U is this the same thing will it fit my Pathfinder? And i think i will go with the 32x11.5 BFG AT KO's as long as it doesnt bog my engine too much

To get UCA's from Rough Country for your pathy, you need to call them up and say that you want to buy only the UCA's for a Nissan Hardbody. Don't mention that you have a Pathfiner, becuase some have said that if you do, they will not sell the UCA's to you.

RC does not sell them "for" Pathfinders, but the front suspension on a HB and Pathy are the same exact thing. Do not buy the kit because if you do you'll end up with parts for the rear that cannot be used. Hardbody's use Leaf Springs in the rear while our Pathfinders have Coil Springs.

Guest ExcessCustomz

Thank you i will be buying all of this stuff in the next week or two and keep yuo posted on the status of my project i do appreciate all of the help that has been provided. What Shock would you guys reccomend for this setup cause i need new ones

Here's some info for the JGC coil part of the lift: http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=18

Yes new shocks are a good idea, there is a chance that you could over extend the stock size shocks with a lift. Rancho makes proper sized shocks for lifted pathies: Rancho RS5000 shocks would be part number RS5116. Or if you prefer to have adjustable shocks (and spend a lot more money) there are the Rancho RS9000 part number RS9116.

Here is the RS5116 shocks from Summit Racing: http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?...t=egnsearch.asp

Have fun lifting your pathy! -bounce-

And pictures! We demand pictures of your pathfinder! :aok:

As far as tires go, it depends on how often you go off-road. The BFGoodrich All-Terrains are awesome off-road compared to the Duelers. I have the BFGoodrich All-Terrains and it was my worst investment I've made because I put many miles on in a year. Like 25,000 of them. BFGoodrich rubber is way too soft for mostly road tires like I've been treating them. So it's almost been a year since I got my tires and I'm already shopping for new tires. I should of gotten the Dueler All-Terrains. And whenever I go off-road, it's tame enough that the Duelers would work just fine.

Ditto what SC88Pathy said about the shocks. I've got them with a suspension lift using the Rough County UCA's (as well as aftermarket SwayAway torsion bars). They're a good length, and give a firmer and nicer ride than the stock ones.

As for the Rough Country UCA's, I'd highly recommend them. They appear to be of quite good quality, were a straight forward direct replacement, and were super cheap considering the options. **Word to the wise when you're ordering. Call, like has been said, and tell them you want only the UCA's AND THE BUSHINGS. I asked for the UCA's stating that I didn't need the rear part of the kit, and I received exactly that. Only the UCA's. I made the dumb assumption that they would send the bushings too. But another call was made, and they were helpful, and sent me the bushings for $10 out the door with shipping. $130 for the UCA's from near the east coast (Tennesse, I think) to WA, and another $10 for the bushings = not bad at all.

Guest ExcessCustomz

k so new Shocks, Uca's And Jgc Coils. After all is said and done is there any problems with the drivelines/Axles? Meaning Clearance or bad angles cause if not i am Game i will be purchasing all of the parts Soon and believe me i will be taking pics.