new ohio guy

Guest redwhiteandblue

Guest redwhiteandblue

hey guys an maybe gals, i am about to possibly buy an 88 pathy an had a couple q's. this is an 88, red, 84,000, automatic. the guy wants 2,500 for it. it seems to run great an very smooth ,except the shift from first to second seems a bit rough, i know every vehicle has its certain issues, is this common, or is it a sign of soon-to-be tranny failure? other than that, there isnt one bad thing about this. it had just recieved a 1000$ worth of work at the shop...injectors, battery, tune up, fuel filter, plugs, etc. an the paint is still shiny as ever, minimal rust, none on body except for a hole in the pass door. good deal or no? tel lme what yall know...

first off.. i swear i saw Ohio somewhere.. which means check for frame rot along the back under the rear fender wells.. Pathys are notorious for this after a life time spent in the snow/salted roads.

The tranny.. well.. could be on the way out.. I have a manual so I will not elaborate.. I am sure one of the guys will chime in on that.. does the vehicle have an after market tranny cooler on it? the auto tranny is notorious for overheating (Nissan fluid level glitch) without one so they tend to burn up a bit quicker.

Check for broken manifold studs. Do you hear a ticking when the truck is cold then it disappears after warming?

Sounds like you found a nice Pathy.. but check the above.. get a service history on the tranny and I am sure someone else will chime in with their ideas of what to look for.. but from this chick.. i will say welcome... and hope you get the Pathy! WAVEY:aok:

The generalities have been covered other than look underneath at the exhaust where the Y pipe bolts in just before the CAT. Is there a rust spot/hole ? It would be under the gas/brake petal...

Other than that, an 88 in good shape with little rust and only 84K on it is a FIND !! Sure, try to get it for $2200 or something just in the spirit of things, but I know a few people who would jump on it regardless. One thing... TIMING BELT !! Has it ever been replaced ? 60,000 is the change interval for that year and it will kill a motor that would run for 250,000 easy otherwise. It is a labor intensive job, but dont let that scare you from buying it, just use it as a bargining tool... ;)

If you have specific Q's, just ask.

B

The first to second shift can be rough or extremely abrupt with the AT. Definatly get an aftermarket tranny cooler installed, and get the transmission fluid changed (two things I need to do myself). Second to what they all said otherwise.

And if it really only has 84,000 miles you are getting a sweet deal and a car that has many many years ahead of it (my 88 has 207,000 miles!) assuming of course that the frame doesn't rust away.

Welcome to the boards! WAVEY

I'd say you're getting a fair deal. $2000 would be a steal. But it sounds like a solid truck that won't need much work. Rust is my only suggestion but it's been mentioned already... check the frame behind the rear tires and under the back seats. And welcome!

Welcome to the message board! For the mileage, I would say thats a good price. And I agree with wheelman, $2k would be a steal.

My 98 Pathy does the same thing when shifting from 1st to 2nd. I remember reading a thread about it. Seems like a common thing.

welcome! yea that 1 to 2 gear shift is like that in my r50 AT as well...but only happens when i gas it at low speeds, then release the gas right before the gear switch...then once it does shift, you feel the jerk...not a jerk that slows the car down, but actually pulls the car foward.

What about floor rust under the back seats? I looked at a 88 once and this is a common thing, isn't it? Not a big deal but also can be a "bargaining chip".

OMG! I can't believe I didn't say "Welcome to the forum!" Sorry about that....so did you buy it? -bounce-