snorkel questions

nissandoms47

if it were only as easy as "SLAPPING" a snorkel on...

There are a few other things you need to worry about... breathers for diffs and whatnot, so you dont get water in...

Also, if you get stuck & get water IN the truck, you have to be wary of the computer in the cabin.

They're not water resistant. (and they're not cheap)!!

I'm sure others have more specific advice...

Edited by Pezzy

firstly if you know the where-a-bouts of a snorkel kit for an r50 your gona have more friends than you can poke a stick at.

well obviously if water gets in the cab while playing in water, & it does when you go deep enough, and the computer beomes wet you can kiss it good bye, and also a handfull of cash to replace it.

fuses will be fine with getting wet, however if the appliance hanging off of it shorts out, due to getting wet, its gonna blow the fuse.

relays are generally sealed units.

alright well i guess that answered the electrical questions. so what about mechanial pezzy said something about a differential breather. someone please enlighten me. And i have seen a snorkel mounted on an R50 i just dont think it was built for the R50 it was probably for the xterra but fitted to the pathfinder.

DCP_0023.JPG

A snorkel may or may not help you at all.

In this case, it didnt help at all. The water wasn't even up to the airbox, but fried the alternator, and stereo amps.

There was another case of a guy charging through fairly shallow water with a snorkel, and hydrolocked his motor.

DCP_0023.JPG

A snorkel may or may not help you at all.

In this case, it didnt help at all. The water wasn't even up to the airbox, but fried the alternator, and stereo amps.

very true... but I wouldnt mind footing the bill for an alternator (oh wait - already did... in that same damn hole! haha) compared to the price of a new engine.

But your point is taken, a snorkel WONT make you invincible.

V - did DD's alty die right away, or show any signs that day? I know it died on his way home?? only reason I ask, is we went wheeling last winter, blew through some puddles, all was good... until the next day, weather got cold, and the water in the alternator froze, and killed it. was wondering if that's what happened to him there.

That is EXACTLY what happened to him Carri.

His truck was FINE all day. Even after sitting for 3 hours and then driving over to Damons for dinner it was fine. Then the next morning, it started RIGHT up because the battery had plenty of charge because it had been running off the wet alternator the day before, but then that night the alternator froze up and crapped out on him.

As for the guy who hydrolocked - he charged through the puddle and a huge splash of water went right into the snorkel tube, down into the intake and into the engine. Kaboom!

As for the guy who hydrolocked - he charged through the puddle and a huge splash of water went right into the snorkel tube, down into the intake and into the engine. Kaboom!

who/when was this?

would turning the head of the snorkel around have helped him? (not facing forward)

well i found where i saw the snorkel it was at rocky road. so just if you guys didnt know

Well, I'm looking at the snorkels at

http://www.rocky-road.com/pathfinder.html

and they list

- pickup 97-2000

- pathy 92-96

and of course safari

http://www.safari4x4.com.au/docs/snorkel/nissan.html

doesn't have anything for an R50.

So, where's the r50 snorkel ??

Err, anyone with a forward snorkel (much less low) is asking for it. Sorry the guy lunched his motor, but I'm not suprised. I've been perusing snorkels and I want a cab height unit that points backwards (and maybe downwards/sideways) Yes, this would be for a WD21.

As for snorkels for the R50, are there none available ? No I'm not going to search, just answer me. I may be able to make an adaptor... ;) Get it ?

B

There are no snorkels on the market for the R50.

The closest we know of is the ARB Safari Snorkel for the Navarra (also been applied to the Xterra) When we get C4S's snorkel for the X, I'll be stealing it for a bit to line things up on the pathy...

I have seen it done once on a truck in (japan??) and I think it looks ok - but others have complained about its fit. I think it beats the looks of any of the homemade jobby.

As Pezzy said...there is no snorkel specifically for the R50s. The one you're thinking of P was a Japanese Terrano in New Zealand. I don't see why people were complaining so much, I think it looks great! Once I save up enough money, I'm going to be picking one up for myself.

Did C4S get the ARB (long) or the TJM (short)?

As for the guy who killed his motor, this is a guy I know in NY who drives a 4Runner. He generally turns his snorkel inwards so its facing over the roof, but not straight backwards, but didn't do that, because he was driving on the road, didn't see that this puddle was that deep (it was night) and just nailed it....kaboom!

Did C4S get the ARB (long) or the TJM (short)?

We called & ordered the ARB today, and he ordered the Volant intake. If the shipping gods are good to us (in my case, that happens never) we'll be picking it up the weekend we see you. Then we'll have a looksie at how easy (or not) it will be to apply to my truck.

Yet another frustrating case of why dont they make parts for the R50's.

• 2 months later...
Guest Sydney_Pathfinder

Has anybody made a concerted effort to get a manufacturer to make a snorkel for an R50 Pathfinder? I was in contact with Safari Snorkels and they said that they had no indication of a demand. If we gould get a figure together of how many they would sell in US and Australia, we can lobby the manufacturers to build one. Any thoughts?

A snorkle would'nt do too much good here in SoCal but, since i do a lot of desert outings i'm trying to figure out how to move the air box inside the cabin....dust is insane during the summer/fall.

I think a lot of people (especially since the R50's are still newer vehicles) want something that would be more presentable than PVC. I know they can look alright, but it still doesn't compare to something a company would produce.