just wandering

deadkennedys

ok so i got afew questions first one is i have been told that i need to replace my exaust manifold and that a stud is broke. im going to switch it out with headers but i was wandering A) if i need to do this some time soon and if are wait if the problems going to get worse? B ) what headers should i got with? ok parents are geting me a winch for xmas :cool2: and i want to know ppls opinions on winches hudrulic or electric? which winch do you think is the best thanks guys

Edited by deadkennedys

Thorely headers seem to be the preferred brand. Pacesetters are cheaper but of questionable quality.

As far as it getting worse with time, (as far as I know) It might as it'll give the studs longer to break on you. But from what I hear its a big PITA whenever you do it.

On the winch, I have no idea, I'm sure someone will chime in thats more knowlegable (sp?) than I.

Also, for future refrence the little "search" button in the corner can provide a wealth of information and might prevent unwanted flaming by more experienced members. ;)

Edited by Harbinger

I just got my Thorleys in, $340 shipped :DSummit PN#DTE-464-2

Broken studs are common... depending on where they break will determine the PITA they are to get out... My 95 was down to 2 unbroken studs when I took it in to be fixed... due to timing and at that time I was not aware of the wealth of knowledge available here, I had the muffler guys put a stock manifold back on... I still have 1 broken stud that they could not get out and I was out of time.

It runs normal and quite....

The Thorley are going in my 92 when I replace the engine....... Christmas presents or engine????? tough choice

Edited by Casey.T

Thorley's. I have em and love em, and from what I hear, the pacesetter's look like they gave a kid in Mexico a stick welder and said "have at it".

The winch option has been debated back and forth across the relm. The hydraulic definately has it advantages and disadvantages. For one, it is able to produce greater pulling power at less effort, as it run off your power steering pump. This disadvantage is that you motor HAS to be running for it to operate. So if you are stuck in a mud puddle or a river crossing, you are SOL.

The electrics do not put out as much power in as small as a package, but, as prior mentioned, they can run without the rig running. Granted, this is for a short time, but it might be enough to get you out of what you are stuck in.

Overall, this is the route I am planning, and I have considered it carefully. I already have done the Quest alternator swap, so a charge isn't a problem, and I am planning on uprading to a set up of dual yellot top Optima battiers. This set up has it's advantages, as, I can run with the engine off, for a longer period of time than stock. The higher output of the alt means the deep cycle batteries will get plenty of charge, and they have tons of CCA (a pair at 1500) to run a winch running, even at idle. This set up seems the best to me, but like I said there are those who will swear by they hydraulics, and others by the electric. Do your research and figure out which will suit you best.

I agree with most of whats been said, including the part about searching... ;) There was a thread in the last 6 months that covered pro's and cons of both fairly well. The biggest drawbacks of the hydraulic winches are that the motor has to be running, and and that they can result in poor steering with a heavy load. One misconception is...

... if you are stuck in a mud puddle or a river crossing, you are SOL.

So MM, you are going to run your electric winch under water ?? Can I watch ? :D

I say hydraulic with a snorkel, block and tackle with a come-along and you have all bases covered... ;)

B

sorry to go off topic here, but casey wher did you pick up your throleys for 340. im looking at getting a pair adn would like the throleys because they are the best and im sure putting em in will help prevent further problems.

also ive seen both winches and think they both work well in situations. like p1 said hydralic with snorkel is probably the route im eventually going to go.

found these on 4x4parts.com

link for headers

I already have done the Quest alternator swap, so a charge isn't a problem, and I am planning on uprading to a set up of dual yellot top Optima battiers. This set up has it's advantages, as, I can run with the engine off, for a longer period of time than stock. The higher output of the alt means the deep cycle batteries will get plenty of charge, and they have tons of CCA (a pair at 1500) to run a winch running, even at idle.

One thing to keep in mind - What you really need to run anything with the engine off for an extended time is capacity (measured in Amp-Hours), not CCA. And unfortunately, the capacity is the only area where round AGM batteries like the Optimas are inferior to regular batteries. In fact, it is so bad the marketeers at Optima make it borderline impossible to find out what their capacity is!

I was very interested in using Optimas in our trailer as they are ultra low maintenance, durable, and clean. But, after much research, I found they had less than half the capacity of a wet cell battery. So I would have needed 5 Optimas to have the same capacity as 2 wet cells...

The hot ticket for running electrics for a long time with engine off?

Two Trojan 6 volt golf cart batteries wired in series!

For comparison (number approximate based on my research a couple years ago)

Two Trojan 6V in series: Over 110 amp hours.

Two 12 volt deep cycles wired in parallel: Maybe 100 amp hours

Two 12 volt Optimas in parallel: About 40 amp hours

mws, which Optima's are you talking about in your research. I know the red tops are not known for their amp/ hour longevity, but the deep cycle yellow tops are far better. I do not know their number off the top of my head, but I will definately look into it and get back to you.

M.M.

if you blow a line, you're not only still stuck, but you have no steering to boot

Yes, then you revert the steering back to PS lines only. I would have valves to shut off the winch in my set up anyway... Not to mention the block and tackle I mentioned. A heavy duty unit will get you out of most anything. So you would be better off if you arc the power line to the electric winch and blow every fuse (ECU ?) in the truck ? Yes, there are preventative measures for both... ;)

B