Gas Cans

94 Pathy

WAVEY

Hello all!

Has anyone ever used or mounted a Jerry can(5gal gas can) mount on or inside of your Pathy? I was thinking about mounting two cans on the tire rack and the tire up on top. With the wonderful gas prices, I'm afraid some @sshole will come along and steal the cans :furious: , so I'm thinking about mounting one inside the cargo area. :aok: Any ideas or thoughts? :beer:

It isn't too hard to rig some sort of lockable strap or bar for external mounts. Gas isn't THAT expensive that it needs to be bank vault secure. I personally prefer to keep gas out of the interior of the vehicle...

B

I'm with B...keeping the gas on the inside of the vehicle will just make it so that you reek of fuel when you go out on your hot date this weekend. Fortunately, by the end of the evening, your date will also reek of fuel, so it won't matter anymore.

Seriously though, outside is best. As a crazy geologist, I have often been doing field work far from service stations (and pavement for that matter) and prior to these field camps, have rigged as many as 20 gal (4 cans) to my roof (modified yakima system) and rear tire rack. I keep one on the rear rack all the times, as it locks down.

With a 31" spare there is just barely enough room to mount a Blitz/jerry can on the passenger side of the rack (you will cover a fraction of an inch of the rt side tail light).

I started with a telescoping bracket from Con-Ferr (check out the link below)

http://www.rockymountaincruisers.com/cgi-b...tml/product=302

Then I cut two pieces of 3/4" square x-section aluminium tube to the same length, drilled holes to match the holes on the C-F bracket, and sandwinched the tubes on the tire rack with machine bolts. I used all but one hole on the bracket (due to a curve on the bottom tube of the tire rack) and it has been mounted and happy for about 100,000 miles.

as for the can itself, I prefer the Blitz cans. Some Jerry's are self-venting, and that is nice if you are going thorugh major temperature swings, but really not necessary. I just like the spout, and the leak-proof (oxymoron?) closure of the Blitz cans.

The con-ferr bracket is drilled out to accept a padlock, and although I have never had one stolen or messed with, someone with an red-neck credit card (siphon tube) could steal the contents of the can.

I hope this helps!

Ok, just had a stupid idea for those "long haulers" in the out back. You could easily put 5 jerry type cans on the tire carrier (without the tire). It would take a little bracketry, but nothing crazy. Then you could have a locking bar to hold them in place and cover the openings... That would add 200 lbs to the carrier, but I think it would handle it. Hell, I knew a guy who had his BMW GS1000 motorcycle rigged to carry 4 jerry cans... :blink:

B

yeah i was thinking about taking my spare off and putting it on the roof and then useing the carrier to mount tool and stuff and yeah im going to rig it to were its locked at all times, same with any external piece including tires (locking lug nuts), ive already had somebody try to take the gas out of my truck i cant imagine what kinda invite a can would be

The con-ferr bracket is drilled out to accept a padlock, and although I have never had one stolen or messed with, someone with an red-neck credit card (siphon tube) could steal the contents of the can.

Hey CG

We may have a touch in common, I assume that you look for new 'value'. My wife and I began cruising the backwoods of British Columbia this year looking for 'old value' from provincial records, archives and historical books. We tried revisiting sites that hopefully haven't been touched in years and looked for traces that are worth our time to exploit. Every time it got interesting, we had to turn back due to lack of fuel. I ordered what I believe is the Con-Ferr Blitz Can Carrier from Automotive Customizers last month. Yes it is locking, yet the can's cap be opened by a simple twist of the wrist.

How to prevent the contents of the can from being pilvered?

Take a measurement of the distance from one of the flanges on the cap closest to the padlock when the cap is tightly closed.

Check out a local Marine store, such as West marine, and check out their Lifeline material (A Lifeline runs around a sailboat and is your last defense before going overboard. This plastic coated stranded high tensile steel cable needs a special cutter to cut it in one clean piece. I have used this stuff to protect my gear on my homes, vehicles and boats without issues for the last 38 years since I owned my first sailboat.)

Oops my age is showing :P

3/16" OD should be thick enough to act as a serious deterent. (please double check the height of the flange as my order hasn't passed customs yet. pssd

Drill a hole slightly larger in the flange and take the cap with you to your local Marine supplier.

Knowing the measured distance from the flange as a given, add an extra 10% for the loop as you wind the Lifeline material through the hole in your cap flange.

Have the clerk press a solid compression fitting on the loop. The concept is when you thread the cap back into your Jerry can, and loop the lifeline material into your padlock tight enough, it can't be opened without serious work.

As Canadian gas prices are much higher than the US (much more so in remote communities in BC [thus more subject to theft]) the last thing that we need in our adventures is to be stuck in the middle of nowhere without our precious 'reserve' tank..

BTW: One of the owners of North Shore 4X4 says he owns two of the same brackets and refuses to sell them as the company that makes them is now out of biz. He sells the Jeep variety that can be pilvered by a child by simply lifting the clasp on the nylon loop and walking away with the goodies...let alone what a simple twist of the cap could make possible.

Any information on the state of the company that makes this bracket would be much welcomed.

Thank you

Fred

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: LMAO!!!!!!

Love the comment Crazy! I thought that was the hottest fragerance out now!

Thanks for all the ideas everyone! I really want a couple of the cans on the tires carrier, but the price of the mounts/can holders and able to lock them down. I guess, if I want them bad enough, I'll have to pay the price.

Thanks All! :beer:

The NATO style cans are pretty easy to lock. And seal MUCH better than the old jerry cans. I have a couple swedish military surplus cans that are at least 20 years old and they still do not leak a drop - even when laid on their side on my roof rack.

Check out most any army surplus place (except CA). Usually under $20 each.

Oh, I went with NATO cans as I also carry them inside my van when dirt biking. No leaks, no vent, no SMELL!

Just open verrrrry carefully. They seal quite tightly - and if the temp or altitude changes a bunch, opening the can can result in dramatic pressure equalization shows...

:rolleyes:

Bungie cord a gas can on the tire carrier? So, how many are you going to wrap around the can to keep it secure while off roading? You need some kind of base for it to sit on to help secure it. If you are going to fabsomething up, make it well worth the effort and saftey to all around. :beer:

:rolleyes:

Bungie cord a gas can on the tire carrier? So, how many are you going to wrap around the can to keep it secure while off roading? You need some kind of base for it to sit on to help secure it. If you are going to fabsomething up, make it well worth the effort and saftey to all around. :beer:

2 good ratchet straps do pretty good :D

grimgregcc0500142.jpg

Not as bad as I expected. I do have to say, "It would look a lot better with a Jerry can instead of the plastic wider/fatter can." I'll have to try that, considering I just bought some ratchet straps the other day.

Unsolicited idea-

A 6.5 gal blitz water can (plastic) fits perfectly behind the passenger seat, when the rear seats are down.

B-

that would be good, but what if you are sporting two spares? I kept the oem spare and it rides center-roof, and it actually helps stabilize the cans that go up there...two spares=peace of mind among sharp rocks and other desert schrapnel.

Freddy Mac-

Yeah, I had my eyes on this recent US energy bill...tucked away under all the money for hurricanes, soldiers and drilling the arctic, was a little clause making it very easy for private entietes to stake a claim and purchase all sorts of public land at small cost in the west. You don't even have to prove economic recovery possibliites. I don't like the idea of selling of what we all own, but if they were gonna give it away to someone, I wanted it to be me. I had a folio of parcels scoped out. It passed the house, but I heard on NPR today that the senate shot it down. Good. more land for us all to wheel on.

I'll definitely rig one of the cables you described. I have an old come-along that I need to re-string, so I'll hit em both at the same time.

MWS-

I am not familar with the NATOs, but I guess it is a similar closure to the Blitz- a thread down cap with a rubber washer/o-ring? I've had to replace this washer once since I've kept one mounted to the back.

Pressure and temperature swings will definitely change the volume of the can (it will bulge in the center). When this happens with the mounting bracket I originally described, you must either manually vent the can or adjust the bracket tension. Easy.

Grim G-

Oh yeah, ratchet straps are superior to bungees in almost every way. Your rear mount is creative. I'm gonna set my buddy (with a rodeo) up with something similar when we head out next.

Here's a link showing NATO cans:

http://www.overland-solutions.com/shopping...ns/087-0000.htm

These replaced the old US Jerry cans and have become the global standard military fuel carrier. They are designed for the armed forces and are arguably the most durable cans available. Designed to be tossed into the back of a truck and beaten half to death without leaking.

The tops have a bail that locks down a flip up lid. And replacement gaskets are easily available (although I've never needed to replace one yet). No vents, absolutely positive seal. And unlike plastic jugs which let the fumes "leak" through the walls, these do not. The lid on one of my cans was all bent up - but a few minutes with hammers, pliers, and prybars and it fit good as new, and never leaked a drop - even while laying on it's side across the Black Rock and through High Rock canyon.

Usually can be found at military surplus dealers for $20 or so. Once you see and use one, you will never go back.

Yes, it is amazing what the metal cans can withstand. The 100,000 mile old bliz can I have is somewhat rhombahedral in shape now...I was rear-ended by a NEW mustang 3 years ago, and no leaks on that one yet. he paint is flaking off in a zebra-stripe pattern though... All I got was a funky can and some paint on my spare...the mustang lost a head-taillight, hood, bumper and front fender. Due to wierd parking lot angles at impact.