Engine swap from gas to Diesel?

drennan_1

Has anybody done an engine swap to go from gas to diesel in the US? I have a 92 Pathfinder SE with a manual tranny and was starting to look for a vehicle so that I can run biodiesel. I know that there are diesel Pathfinders outside of the US but I'm not sure how easy it would be to get an engine, get it installed and what kind of emissions testing /laws I need to worry about here in Seattle, WA.

That will be a big job to do and not worth the money that you will end up spending. You will have to change everything. And I mean everything! If you get someone else to do the change over, as is implied, then you will be out of pocket by thousands of $. Just buy a TD Terrano from Canada and sell your Pathy.

There was a 2.7L TD for sale in New York a little while ago. I think it was something like $3000... :blink: Yes, many of us are disapointed that the motor is not imported to the US !

As V6 pointed out, it wouldn't be very cost effective... :shrug:

B

• 1 month later...

I know there were 720s sold with diesels here, and some Internationals and Jeeps had Nissan diesels in them...just things to look into if you wanted to keep it Nissan. :shrug: (Neither would bolt up to the tranny /T-case you have BTW)

the terrano diesel motor is a R3M. Some mods will be required to fit it into the cradle, but it's not too bad. You can get a used r3m from an engine importer with harness and ECU for about $2000 cdn. There's a world of difference in the tranny gearing, so i'd import a tranny too. At that point, just get a whole front clip imported from a vehicle importer. The average price i found for a front clip shipped to calgary was $3500 cdn.

Let me know how it goes...gas sucks! :beer:

the terrano diesel motor is a R3M. Some mods will be required to fit it into the cradle, but it's not too bad. You can get a used r3m from an engine importer with harness and ECU for about $2000 cdn. There's a world of difference in the tranny gearing, so i'd import a tranny too. At that point, just get a whole front clip imported from a vehicle importer. The average price i found for a front clip shipped to calgary was $3500 cdn.

You will also have to get a new fuel tank and pick up as well as replacing the fuel lines. That's what I meant when I said everything.

And you are correct Filthy, there are heaps of Terranos in Canada. Sell the Pathy and buy a Terrano.

• 2 weeks later...
the terrano diesel motor is a R3M.  Some mods will be required to fit it into the cradle, but it's not too bad.  You can get a used r3m from an engine importer with harness and ECU for about $2000 cdn.  There's a world of difference in the tranny gearing, so i'd import a tranny too.  At that point, just get a whole front clip imported from a vehicle importer.  The average price i found for a front clip shipped to calgary was $3500 cdn. 

um no...r3m is the Terrano spec designation, if you look hard enough you will be able to find info on the r2m which is the model below and didn't come with electrics and some other nicetys. anyway, the Terrano diesel engine is a TD27T

2.7L turbo diesel. non turbo version can be found in Nissan Navaras but I don't know if you guys have them in the USA. Also I wouldn't want to go near a non turbo one...I think the turbo one is OK and can be livened up a little with some simple mods...but the non turbo can't really be tricked up cheaply.

If some of my plans come to fruition in the coming year then I should have my diesel out and up for sale...might be a little expensive to ship to your country though. :unsure:

I didn't take notice if you had a manual or auto but the automatic Terrano has the same jatco Re4ro1a gearbox as found in the v6 pathfinder, which means the gear box ratios will be the same, and I don't see why it would be greatly different for a manual box.

My diff ratio is 4.625:1 which is one of 3 or 4? diff ratios made available by nissan for the H233b diff. In any case if your diff ratio wasn't suitable you can always get a new diff center easy enough

FYI: the same automatic gearbox was found in automatic r33 turbo skylines but I believe they had a couple of parts changed to make them stronger. Rebuild kits are available for the gearbox in any case to bring them up to skyline spec.

Edited by exodus_68

• 3 weeks later...

oh sorry i should have been slightly more specific. whilst it is the same model code as found in the r33 skyline there is one key difference not reflected in the model code. The auto in the pathy is made to have a transfer case on it whilst the skyline obviously isnt.

You could MAKE it fit but it would be a bit of stuffing around. You would need a divorced transfer case with the output shaft on the correct side and then you would have to get new drive shafts engineered. I looked at these options recently for an engine conversion and found it would be much easier to retain the current gearbox/transfer setup.