Bottom Line

TeenZombie

Should I put a tire carrier on my 95 XE or just leave it be?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Should I put a tire carrier on my 95 XE or just leave it be?

• Yes.
    • No.

I read somewhere that the XE lacks the support in the body where the tire carrier would be bolted. I could be wrong but a search could probably confirm or deny that. Personally, if I wanted to free my internal room (the XE carries the spare inside the truck), I'd opt for a basket and tire holder for the roof. Much more options and looks better too (IMHO)

i'm with k9. spare on the roof makes much more sense and takes less work

yeah but, it increases drag quite a bit and thus the MPGs go way down.. I have an XE and I have factory tire carrier... but the ones not equipped may not have the support that k9 mentioned.

MY XE has the tire rack on back... but yes if the truck didn't have it on in the first place it won't have the brackets. I hear AC sells the brackets but you still have to chop through some welds and sheetmetal to get them to sit where they need to go.

That and since you have to tack weld them on (that is how Nissan did it) it may ruin your paint because you are heating it up... however I do not know much about welding and if it's just a small weld it might not do anything.

Pretty much ditto to Wheelman. If the truck didn't come with a factory spare carrier, it wont have the reinforcement plates where the hinges would bolt and they are a PITA to install, factory or aftermarket... I believe you can get a tire carrier that mounts into a towing receiver. That or a roof rack are the two simpler options you have not to carry the spare inside. I agree with MZ about the drag and reduced MPG with the roof rack. Thats a bummer, as I wouldn't want my 10.5x31" inside, nor be lifting it up on the roof... :shrug:

B

I have an XE too, but as you all know I sold my tire carrier. (I do still have all the brackets though)... I just put my spare inside when I go out of town, if I am in town I don't even carry one (a quick call to Dave would solve this problem), but I agree that the tire on the roof is fine as long as you don't mind the drag on the freeway, meaning higher fuel costs.

I would love an aftermarket tire carrier, but like the clean appearance without one. IMHO :aok:

Mine still flexes the body slightly when opening, and its factory stock. I don't think an aftermarket install of a stock rack would be pretty to the body after a few uses. If you have access to the tools or somebody with experience, you might look into something like many Jeepers use where the pivot point for the carrier is a wheel spindle or similar mounted to the end of the bumper. They covered it a while back on Trucks on Spike.

Something like this.

Edited by Mr. Pickles

Mine still flexes the body slightly when opening, and its factory stock.

Wow! I'm not the only one... I thought it was because my bumper is smashed in and up a little bit but maybe not. I think installing a factory one and going through the trouble of getting the brackets in would still be easier than fabricating a new jeeper-type one.

You don't have to weld anything to install a tire carrier. The brackets are naturally held in place by the carrier hinge bolts, remember?

I've considered this one and have since decided that I don't need an additional 150 lbs attached to the extreme rear end of the Pathy. The carrier weighs about 75 lbs and my spare 33x10.50 weighs about 70.

As far as I know all Pathy's have the lower brackets but only the ones that came stock, equipped with a tire carrier have the upper brackets.

Not all SE's came with carriers, I have an '88 SE and it does not have a rear carrier. Mine has a tire mount inside on the drivers side of the cargo area.

You don't have to weld anything to install a tire carrier. The brackets are naturally held in place by the carrier hinge bolts, remember?

I've considered this one and have since decided that I don't need an additional 150 lbs attached to the extreme rear end of the Pathy. The carrier weighs about 75 lbs and my spare 33x10.50 weighs about 70.

Does that thing really weigh 70lbs?!?! Wow didnt feel anything near that when i pulled mine off. When i pulled mine off i didnt hear any plates fall if they were held on my the carrier bolts.

I may be exaggerating a bit cause I never did weigh that thing. Ask MaritimeMan, he bought the one I had and he knows how heavy they are. The plates inside on a Pathy that came with a carrier were spot-welded to the sheetmetal.

What I'm gonna do is weld up a roof rack out of 1/2" electrical conduit or something similar and just put 'er up there with a plexiglass fairing on front like the Yak rack fairing. More room for stickers! :D And more PIAA lights!

I have been also thinking about making something up. Now that we have a tig welder i might do something out of aluminum and bolt it up top. Something low profile and something that i hope will not kill my gas milage. I will thinking about making a resessed (sp) are to put some lights up there out of the way.