Skids and Paint Protection

MrGame

OK two questions: #1 In the next few months I'm going to be taking my 01 into the pit in Sayreville, NJ, and I know i have to drive through some brush and some low branches and what not..how can I protect my paint from scratches?

#2 I'm in the market for a set of aftermarket skids to protect the entire bottom of the truck, but i can't find any..what's a good brand? and a link to the product if possible

#1...there's nothing really you can do but wax it and hope for the best.

#2...BLACK PANTHER ALL THE WAY!!!!! http://www.blackpantherskidplates.com :aok:

To elaborate, I've got the BP skids on my Pathy and they are SOLID. Quality is unmatched. Absolutely outstanding product. I'm sure Marcel will chime in here at some point, too. Not only does the guy make a killer skid, he's got a Pathy, too! :aok:

It isn't really protection, but I used to have my pathy detailed by a shop which effectively buffed out the scratches in the clear coat. That greatly helped for a few years... but now it has far too many deep scratches, and few good sized dents, so I hardly even washed it this season except to get rid of excessive mud. But when they are young! you can usually buff alot of the branch scratches out.

And I'll second the Black Panther skids - they have served me well.

m.

*add another vote for blackpanther!*

unfortunately, if you do any trails in the bush/forest, youre going to have to get used to some pinstriping. It pains me every time I hear the eeeeeeeeeee.... of a branch down the side of my truck, but I have to learn to live with it if I want to wheel.

If you're really concerned about paint scratches you can do what I saw an owner of a new Toyota Land Cruiser do:

He applied blue masking tape to the entire passenger side of his truck. So all that was necessary was for him to keep the driver's side away from bushes and he was good to go.

However, if someone is that concerned about their paint, it's probably better not to venture off the pavement in the first place.

He applied blue masking tape to the entire passenger side of his truck.

:laugh: funny enough though, my passenger side is way worse than the driver side. :X

im glad im not the only one with pinstripping, my truck is scratched all up from runnin on atv trails, hard to tell unless you look at it, its funny though, everybody i know says i messed my truck up by wheeling it, that coming from ppl that would put big rims and lower it, i just say to them its a frikin 4x4 not fluffy flofy mobile

Pezzy's passenger side is worse because hubby sits over there and shes tryin to whack him with the bushes :hide: as they go by :beer:

hehe, I could not resist, My passenger side is worse too just for that very fact B)

So like... when you get off the trail... you have to fold it up all dirty and muddy and then unfold it at home, wash it... dry it out alongside your dirty undies and then fold it up again until next time you need it?

Actually there are magnetic sheets that people attach to the sides of their trucks... i've only seen GM H2 (quasi-hummers) with them, go figure :rolleyes:

Pezzy's passenger side is worse because hubby sits over there and shes tryin to whack him with the bushes :hide: as they go by :beer:

I wont wheel with him as TB... I send him to TB someone else!

So like... when you get off the trail... you have to fold it up all dirty and muddy and then unfold it at home, wash it... dry it out alongside your dirty undies and then fold it up again until next time you need it?

Actually there are magnetic sheets that people attach to the sides of their trucks... i've only seen GM H2 (quasi-hummers) with them, go figure :rolleyes:

I have seen these as well I think if I went with something (which I'm not, but if I did) I would go with the glove

:beer:

3m or BASF makes a Paint protectant film. It comes in fairly good sized sheets and is clear. mostly used for the leading edges of hoods. I saw a mini with it on the whole hood, fenders and doors to protect against scratches. I think if I didn't want to get a scratch on my car that badly I'd leave it in the living room..

Then again you could go to a sign shop and get the film they use on city buses.

well you could get clear moto stickers. alotta guys do it to there downhill bikes to keep the resale value up (i.e. take the stickers off. voila! brand new unscratched frame) its nice and thick and protects from rocks and trees very well. it would probly be round 100 to cover the hood and doors