suspension lift

hastifc

looking to upgrade my suspension with a 3" lift, and wondering about the quality of kit mfg's like a/c and calmini.

while i am not rich, i do have some disposable cash from selling a project and would like to do the 3" all at once, shocks( rancho 9000x) and all. i didn't think that the 824.00 price for the a/c kit unreasonable. also, i didn't see that great of a price diff by seperate sourcing uca's, tbars, springs, and shocks....

could anyone recommend other mfg's i've missed?

any money saved goes to other things like rack, winch, body lift, etc.... so let me have it.

opinions are wanted, and i always enjoy a different point of view.

and yes i searched first to educate myself.

thx in advance...

Edited by hastifc

Are you set on buying a suspension lift "kit"?

If not you could go with Jeep Grand Cherokee coils for $20+ from a wrecking yard.

Call up Rough Country and order some Upper Control Arms (same as Superlift units). Tell them that you need UCA for a “Hard Body” (they are the same as Pathfinder UCA’s). Those have been had for under $130.

Here is a topic covering these UCA's

Order the Shocks from A/C ($290 unless a better price can be found) and if you need or just want to replace the Torsion Bars ($190). Torsion Bars bace been talked about in the past and it's been recommened that yuo simply reindex your stock ones first. Then if that does not work (they are worn to much) buy replacements.

So that puts you in the area of…

$420 + the cost of the springs w/o the Torsion bars

$610 + the cost of the springs with the Torsion bars

That saves you around $200-$400 and you get better quality UCA’s ;)

Now you have money left over for a Body Lift, Rack, etc. :D

Also, remember that you are going to need an alignment after the lift.

Search around here some and you will find a lot of information covering these options :aok:

Others will chime in on this, so wait and see what everyone suggests ;)

Damn !! Not much to say after Red... :clap:

What it comes down to is that if you just want to buy a kit and don't really care about some $, then do it. If you want better pieces and to save some $, mix and matching like Red said can definitely pay off !! I suggest the latter as it will help pay for more things, Pathy or not. ;)

B

Once you start playing with the front end mods, I'd recommend the lifetime alignment from Firestone. I paid $130 (on sale) 5 months ago which supposedly lasts as long as you own the truck, and already went back in a 2nd time after installing the UCA's from Rough Country as well as new ball joints. They were obviously brand new parts and the specs were horribly out of alignment, and no questions asked. I've even heard of guys that take theirs in after every wheeling trip. A+ in my book so far.

Once you start playing with the front end mods, I'd recommend the lifetime alignment from Firestone. I paid $130 (on sale) 5 months ago which supposedly lasts as long as you own the truck, and already went back in a 2nd time after installing the UCA's from Rough Country as well as new ball joints. They were obviously brand new parts and the specs were horribly out of alignment, and no questions asked. I've even heard of guys that take theirs in after every wheeling trip. A+ in my book so far.

thx, mr pickles, will locate one around renton. more good advice! ended up with rough country uca's, heavier torsions, rancho 9000's, ac 3" body lift, rancho steering dampener and idle arm brace.... so far. :D

Sound's like you know where you are headed. I second what Mr. Pickles said. I did the same, and go back after most rough wheeling. I went to a Tires Plus.

...that reminds me... it's been a while since the last alignment.

**** Starts looking for a Life time Alignment Special in Spokane......

:bow: Hail to Mr.Pickles :clap:

Found one at Firestone here in Spokane $120, what sucks is I will have to buy 2.

Edited by Casey.T

What year JGC are the coils off of?

should be able to find some shocks for less than that. Are those Ranchos? should just be able to go with a shock 3 inches longer and fairly stiff. ( Yes, i know I said it. geez. ) I was thinking of trying some Munroe Sensatracs. I dunno.

CM :)

Rami that probably means that your upper or lower ball joints are worn, replace em and it should align. Either that or they're fulla crap.

I got the lower ones replaced. Are the upper ones pretty hard to do on my own???

Rami

Rami,

Its actually pretty easy once you buy the $10 tool, they come right out with a couple of good P... careful not to hit your hand, it hurts like a :furious: even 4 days later.

Edited by Casey.T

I heard two opinions about replacing upper BJs: 1st it's easy. 2nd its a PITA. I decided that since 88 made the PITA comment, and he is a far better mechanic then I ever will be, that I would take it to a shop and have it done. Cost me a bit more than it would have if I had done it myself, but they also aligned it afterwards rotated my tires and cranked my Tbars so the front was even with the back at no extra cost. I also found that the ride was nicer post BJ replacement. :aok:

Sounds about right. You're almost the suspension twin of mine. Except I'm putting on Rancho 5000's this morning rather than the 9000's.

Oh, and the upper ball joint isn't that bad at all. I heard horror stories but did it recently. I think if you did it and tried to save the old BJ's, it would be hard. But with new ones going in, I just slid in a pickle fork, grabbed a BFHammer and gave them a couple good whacks. P...

front. thinking i don't want the smittybilt front bumper, steps, and rear bumper. anyone interested in purchasing them? trades ok. want front, rear stock bumpers, rock sliders, hitch, rack........

renton, wa.

post-5-1129413941.jpg