The Skid Plate is Done !

Precise1

BOOM!

SMACK!

Screeeeeeeeeach!

Damn what the hell was all that? Oh well, Who cares. I got one of them Invinsible Precise 1 Skid plates, I'm not too worried. Hey Look! A Rock, Lets see if I can hit it straight on!

*wakes up from Dream* :bed:

Ooooh, what a Dream. Or was it?

Dowser.

So Blue's the strongest eh? Well given my track record so far, best to double layer a blue set for me. :P But seriously. Nice work man. Not sure where you are but if your not to far into the states Maybe I'll go for a road trip.

man everyones using plastics and stuff now. theres a company called e-thirteen that makes a chainguide that has a plastic bashguard to protect the chainrings/bottom bracket on a bike. the nicest thing about the plastic one over a normal aluminum one is that it slides when you hit a rock or something instead of gripping on it and stopping you. another nice thing is that its harder to damage and it doesnt bend like a normal metal one. heres a link.

http://www.e13components.com/supercharger.html

Precise1,

What type of weight are we looking at for these skid plates? Don't need an exact number, just wondering how much they weigh compared to the steel versions. BTW - NICE work! Also, how much is just the material alone costing you to make one skid or a whole set? I think this would help people get an idea on pricing when labor is included. Thanks! :D

tmorgan, the front skid plate with both mounting blocks and 6 M6 bolts is 8 pounds. I payed $60 for the blank with tax and delivery, but I didn't search much, just went with a convenient supplier. For white UHMW PE 3/8" thick I have prices around $30, and I'm still looking around. The key for me to make them cheaply is to have a decent place to work, a few dies and some dedicated tools. I made this one in the back yard with a deck and C clamps ! One issue is that they have to be heated to bend, and that can only be done so fast. I probably spent 15-20 hours figuring the first one out start to finish; having what I need, I could make one in 3-4 hours, maybe faster. I have a hard time guessing at prices right now, but I'll throw out $120ish once I started production. It's all up in the air though until I can get situated. The undercarrage skids will be easier to make, and I'll look at that soon. I'll keep updating.

B

GRRR... so you want a different design 88 ??? Sheesh !!

Actually, I could probably make a cut down version fairly simply... I just went to the large side knowing a trade secret that it is harder to put more material on then take it off... ;)

Why would you want LESS protection ?

B

• 2 months later...

LOL Martin, no I haven't forgotten... :P

JJ Big Shoe has the prototype, but I don't know if he has mounted it yet. Just waiting for feed back at this point. It turned out fairly well considering a 1 off and the learning curve, but I already have some improvements in mind, not to mention going with 3/8 instead of 1/2" to lessen the material and forming cost. I suspect the 1/2" is overkill for most people and it takes a while to form properly. Once my test driver runs into a few things and spring rolls around, I should be able to make some for sale and look at underbody plates also. No garage in the winter sucks !!

Thanks for the interest, and I'll definitely keep you posted

It's kinda my fault for taking so long to get it to him, but well, there it is... ;)

B

• 3 years later...

Bump...

I'm am in a much better position to follow up on this now. Is there still interest in buying these?

Prices will need adjusting, I don't know what the current cost of material is. White, blue or black would be the color choices, 3/8 thick is what I am considering for the front plate (under carriage protection would be the next step).

I'll need a guinea pig to test one out (and mounting hardware) before I make batches of them. Any regular wheeler want to work with me on this??

Hey JJ_Big Shoe, hit anymore stumps or have any input about it?

(other than fitment :hide: )

Lets see what the response is...

:beer:

B

Damn, B. Too bad you're not poppin these for the R50. I would hit you up. Coming from a fellow machinist, I know the fitment would be precise...hence your name. I have worked with that material before and it is tough. I may have to steal you methods and make me a set. There are places all over the Portland area that I can get it from. Nice work man.

Sorry Bud, but I have no R50 to work off of to figure it out... :shrug:

As for doing it yourself, hell yeah!! It really isn't hard other than the measurements, lining everything up, bending it evenly and getting the mounting right. What I mean, is that working the material is easy so once you know what you need to make. That was my first try... :shrug:

I thought I described the process better, but maybe that is only in my head or another thread. I'll find it or post in more detail....

Feel free to ask any Q's but be sure to measure your results well and post them for others. I'm sure you have CAD... I'll do the same, like the bumper thread. :D

Thanks for the compliments...

B

I have a prototype that I made from .0625" 6061. I can use it for a template. Now....to make some calls for the material. I can spend a little saturday time at the shop and draw it up on CAD. Sad, I can build on the fly faster than drawing things out. I think it's supposed to be the opposite. I'll see what I can do .

Hey JJ_Big Shoe, hit anymore stumps or have any input about it?
Not much opportunity other than the maiden voyage when I whomped into a cypress knee with it, but no damage whatsoever to the skid or truck. I just kinda slid over the stump, then it got wedged in my LCA and I had to hack it out.

Just a thought....

How about you go out and Intentionally hit some stuff to get some feedback.... its been a mere 3-4 years and you haven't hit much with it yet makes me think perhaps your not gonna be hitting too much in the next 3-4 years. just go find a rock or something and Slowly smack into it.

Well...... if you want to.....

You know.......

For the Better of the.... "Community" :sly: