Nissan X-terra

MIGUEL

Xterras are alright, but there is a ton of stupid little things that Nissan did to save a buck or two. Don't try to wheel with them because you'll be poor quickly.

Also XOC is run by a complete tool, avoid that place as much as possible.

EDIT: Xterra not X-terra B)

Edited by Filthy Luker

You did not say if you were looking used/new but here is a bit of info:

New 2005 Review: Link

New 2003 Review: Link

Used 2000-2002 Review: Link

Southern Ontario Xterra Club: Link

Hope this helps. And yes, the 2005 Xterra is what the Pathfinder (pre 2005) used to be. When it comes time to replace my Pathy, I will be looking at the 05 Xterra. Good luck.

Edited by Trainman

The Xterra's have plastic ramps in their auto locking hubs.... Upgrade???

If you need to replace your lower ball joints on an X you have to replace the whole lower control arm... Upgrade???

Xterra's have leaf springs in the rear.... Upgrade???

Wow... dont let the Xterra or R50 owners see this thread... oh wait *looks at her sig* :(

Miguel, as mentioned above try XOC , however concider yourself warned - there are a lot of idiots on that site, but there is a lot of information to be found...

Also - I'm not sure where youre from, but try looking up "Xterra Club" in google to find a club nrea you B)

Miguel, as mentioned above try XOC , however concider yourself warned - there are a lot of idiots on that site, but there is a lot of information to be found...

Why I mentioned XOC, so he could see the mentality of most X owners. ;)

since i have driven one and wheeled with a bunch: it's a good truck, same engine as a pathy but more horse.. sucky mpgs. they have a turbo available.. a bit big and tall for the trail but they do just great.. some of the fluffy crap falls off while wheeling unless you take it off beforahand or have already upgraded.. also, same weak front end..

they do have air bags and are on frame.. parts are about as available as for pathfinders... many of their owners are a bit arselike, imho, and more of a mall wheelers variety...

So... does anyone know where Miguel can find information on the Nissan Xterra...

I posted some on the first page, hope some others can add to it.

I admit I got a little off topic as a result of some of the first posts, what will Miguel think of me? :nono: Bad Trainman, Bad

I have a 93 Pathfinder and an 04 Xterra and I prefer driving the Pathfinder. The Pathfinder has more power, even though it has a smaller engine, gets better mpg's, is more comfortable for a long trip because of the many more extras that come on a Pathfinder that do not come on an Xterra. The Xterra looks good and it handles well off road but it's boring to drive. :asleep: I would buy an 05 though. That's a whole different truck.

The Xterra's have plastic ramps in their auto locking hubs.... Upgrade???

Sorry to change the subject, but what plastic ramps? I have Xterra hubs on my Pathfinder. I did not see any plastic ramps. Maybe I could get an explanation? I am currently not buying into the plastic ramp bit of it at all.

The auto locking hubs have ramps in them (metal in the pathy :P) that engage the locking action. Ever heard that loud bang because you shift from D to R to D? That's the hubs unlocking and locking back up under pressure. I've also heard its a problem when going down steep hills. That's one of the main gripes about Xterra and frontier hubs that I hear, and why they are in a hurry to switch out to manual locking ones. I don't think that what makes it a weak hub that's just one of the things that get pointed out.

Edited by TrailChaser

I haven't actually seen them either... I'm sure it's not gonna look like milk jug plastic tho... It's probly black plastic that seems like metal till you know otherwise...

I heard this from a VERY reliable source. The guy knows his stuff when it comes to this kinda thing. For example, he bought a Fronty desert runner 2wd then converted it to 4wd his self when a friend of his converted a Xterra to a solid axle... Soon he'll be switching that same Frontier to a solid front axle.

I don't think he made up the plastic ramp idea just to have something to say. ;)

Just curious here, but what would be the advantage of swapping out Pathy auto locking hubs with the Xterras??? Seems like a waste of time unless you screwed up your originals and those where the easiest to get your hands on in a pinch... I mean the warn or mile marker hubs are much better and don't cost too much.

I'll ask and get more info about the plastic for ya'll :P .

Because I didn't pay for them. Why spend 130 on Warnhubs if I didn't pay for the ones I have now? I had to replace mine because they weren't working and I figured I might as well go with Xterra hubs (I had no knowledge of the plastic ramps). When I compared the two, the Xterra hubs looked like they were designed better. I'm no drivetrain expert, but it seemed to me that the Xterra hubs were more solid than the Pathfinder ones. Either way, my 4x4 works now and I'm happy. I'll take those hubs off and take some pictures and maybe you could point out the plastic pieces.

I test drove a 2005 a while back and was very impressed. Good chance that it will be my next vehicle. My Pathy is paid off now so I am gonna keep it but may get a gas sipper as a daily driver. The '05 X coems rated at 21mpg w/ a 265hp 6cyl and a 5speed auto or 6speed manual. You deffinatelt feel the 5th gear while driving. It is a very nice vehicle but my decision to keep the Pathy kind of complicates things. I may just end up getting the most fuel efficient vehicle that I can find that holds a lot of space. I do a lot of mountian bike racing so that would men somehting like an Accors with a trailer or maybe a CRV.