time for a new battery...

statikuz

alrighty so i was outside wiring up my new headlight relays and discovered that my battery had leaked all over the front fender there, stripped the paint and there was corrosion everywhere there was metal. so i think its time for a red top.

is there a particular part number i should shoot for? the optima site gave me two, and also said i needed a "height adapter" or something to that effect... any help?

Don't know the answer to your specific question, sorry.

You may already know this, but just in case: Optima's have considerably less capacity than a regular wet cell battery (a little more than half last time I checked). This only poses a problem if you want to have your battery power loads when the engine is off like stereos or lights.

Other than that, they are fantastic batteries.

Hey Bud, did the battery case split, and the acid run out or did the battery boil over ? Either way, you may have something goofy with the wiring of the lights or the alternator could be bad... I've had batterys fail on me in 2 miles, but never self destruct !! Find the cause before you fix the symptom. Personally I'm a big fan of Interstate batterys... :shrug:

Oh, height adaptor is probably just a riser plate...

B

Don't know the answer to your specific question, sorry.

You may already know this, but just in case: Optima's have considerably less capacity than a regular wet cell battery (a little more than half last time I checked). This only poses a problem if you want to have your battery power loads when the engine is off like stereos or lights.

Other than that, they are fantastic batteries.

It has also been stated in several off road mags that if you run an optima battery down... yer skrewd..... I was looking at them til I heard that.... -study-

Yeah, I've had good results with Interstate batteries. I had a radiator fan that would always run even with the car off on my Prelude. It drained the battery, but I could jump it right up every morning for about 3 months.

Couldn't you just pull a fuse or install a simple switch?

Yea... for conventional batteries, Interstate is super awsome.

What I heard was this...

The Red Top is good for every day use and is actually ment for it. I've had one for a couple of months and no problems this far. I know it's to early to tell but still.

The Yellow Tops are deep cycle batteries and are made to be ran really low and re-charged (like when used with winches, lots of lights, and high powered stereo equiptment).

I dont know thats what I HEARD from a few people. Dont hate me if Im wrong pssd just tryin to help a brotha out!!!

Rami

it wasn't after i messed with my lights, it had been that way for awhile, lots of junk was corroded but i'm not sure when it started.

i read a few other threads on here about red tops and they seemed like a good choice, i know 88 has run his down and recharged it quite a few times and it never posed any problems...?

Ok, wasn't saying you screwed up, just asking. Still did it crack, bulge or boil over ? These can be symptoms of different causes. What brand, how old was it ? I don't know much about the Red Tops, but price wise, how do they compare to a $70 conventional car battery thats good for 5-7 years ?

B

red tops are like $120... the battery was an exide that's about 1-2 years old, and it looks fine, the bottom wasn't eaten away or anything, but the little plastic tray it sits in was physically wet and there was serious battery acid dust stuff all around in there.

Yeah, I've had good results with Interstate batteries. I had a radiator fan that would always run even with the car off on my Prelude. It drained the battery, but I could jump it right up every morning for about 3 months.

Couldn't you just pull a fuse or install a simple switch?

Yea... for conventional batteries, Interstate is super awsome.

Nah, the fan is supposed to do that on the Preludes. Mine did (91 'lude SI) all the time. Something about too many gerbils under the hood overworking themselves and causing heat. Damn rice. :D On a random note, and one I hope to explore again soon, try an RV battery. I had one in my old 720 truck, and I could power my 1400 watt stereo all afternoon while at the lake or camping, and still fire it up to drive home. It just took a quick sawzall and a mini-sledge hammer to fit, but should fit in the Pathy no prob.

the little plastic tray it sits in was physically wet and there was serious battery acid dust stuff all around in there.

Hmm, a sharp corner somewhere, abrasion from being loose and moving, Clamped to tight and cracking, defective craftsmanship ?? Not normal anyways !!

i drove for entire two days only on my YellowTop. Nuff said.

Well, you didn't mention miles and thats what matters... I've driven cars 20+ miles on battery conventional battery alone... Like I said though, I haven't researched this type. :shrug:

The Red Top is good for every day use....

The Yellow Tops are deep cycle batteries and are made to be ran really low and re-charged...

I dont know thats what I HEARD from a few people....

I have heard the same...

We have a Yellow Top in the Xterra. When the alternator got fried, it got us out of the trails @ Paragon, and back to the campsite - which I believe was 40 miles away. That included a few startups, as we had other issues on the trail to stop for, and a couple other stops on the way (gas, waiting for people)... We had a couple starts left in the truck when we got back to the campsite when it finally said ENOUGH. :)

Yeah, I'm looking to get a new battery. This battery I've had since I bought the car...its been drained a couple of times but always starts like a champ but I think after 3 years and who knows how long its been on before I bought the pathy, its time...

Whats a good place and price for a yellowtop?

My Red-Top has been in five different vehicles over the course of TEN YEARS and it still works fine. I can run the stereo for hours on it. It ran the Pathy home when the alternator failed at Sand Lake...I drove over 60 miles on it after a one-hour quick-charge at a gas station. Before the quick-charge, it was too dead to crank the starter. I have run this battery dead countless times, recharged it the same, and run it hard and long ever since I got it.

I heartily recommend Optima batteries. :) Does that help?

I don't know anything about optima batteries but I do have one of the best battery stories ever. One day I was sitting in my house and I hear this HUGE BOOM noise. A while later my dad came up to the house. He and one of our field workers had tried to start our Fiat tractor and the battery exploded! Now this isn't you're regular car battery it is an extremely long battery to power accessories and stuff. Dad and Mario were lucky they didn't get hurt or killed. :o