Will a 5 1/4 component speaker fit in the front?

SC88Pathy

Sorry to double post but I'm getting no love in the tech section.

Anyway I just got some 5 1/4" JBL component speakers from a friend of a friend and I was wondering how difficult of an install is this going to be in the front door panel speaker location? According to one post in the Aftermarket Stereo topic it can be done, but can it be done by a mere mortal like myself?

According to crutchfield 5 1/4's will for sure fit in the rear mid-panel, but I want to install 6x9's there so I would much much prefer to install the 5 1/4's in the front.

~OK another question to tack on, will ANY 6x9's fit in the rear mid panel, or are there any serious depth or height restrictions that can't be cured with trimming? P...

Edited by SC88Pathy

Yeah, but yours is a 93. His isn't.

I have 6.5" speakers in my front doors with minimal cutting and 6x9's in the rear with no clearance problems. The only clearance problems you'll find in the rear are if your tweeters stick out too far from the center of the speaker and contact the stock grille in the side panel.

my doors didnt come cut for speakers and i dont wanna break body clips or panels so i built a box for 4 4.25 speakers and took my cab light assembly down cut a hole in the box and mounted the light to that with a custom bracket and its about 2 in high in the front and 3 in the back so ure head wont hit it...and i put kenwood 6x9's in the back (below the triangle window) they fit easily only problem is taking almost every body panel loose...

my cuze has a 95 and didnt have any problems putting 6x9s in the rear roof...she did herself in like 30 mins B4 i had a chance to drive over and help her out

The limiter in both areas is depth. I had no problem putting a set of shallow 6.75" Infinity's in the door, but the 6x9's I had lying around were too deep for the rear - the magnets hit the body. Those may have been abnormally deep... So I went with 6.5" in the rear. A "standard" 6.5 or 6.75 will not work in the doors - they will interfere with the windows.

Check out Crutchfield.com for recommendations on what will fit in easily.

And of course, with enough effort and money, you can make anything fit!

• 2 weeks later...
my doors didnt come cut for speakers and i dont wanna break body clips or panels so i built a box for 4 4.25 speakers and took my cab light assembly down cut a hole in the box and mounted the light to that with a custom bracket and its about 2 in high in the front and 3 in the back so ure head wont hit it...and i put kenwood 6x9's in the back (below the triangle window) they fit easily only problem is taking almost every body panel loose...

my cuze has a 95 and didnt have any problems putting 6x9s in the rear roof...she did herself in like 30 mins B4 i had a chance to drive over and help her out

Please, can I see a picture. :)