New to the forum

SteveWA

Hello from Down under! The WA in my name is Western Australia not Washington. I am an American who married an Aussie girl and have been living here for 10 years now.

I am looking at buying a 94 Pathfinder. It's in fantastic condition for it's age. Not a spot of rust anywhere, and I looked hard. It's a 3.0i V6 with 150,000 kilometers (95,000 mile)on the clock. Power windows, nudge bar, spot lights, tinted windows. I'm just curious about economy on them. I know it's V6 so it won't be a fuel miser or anything. But it will be better than what I am leaving. 97 Jeep Wrangler getting maybe 12-14 MPG on a good day.

Any inherent problems with them? It's mainly going to be a weekender for towing the Motorbike trailer down to the beach. And the odd camping trip here and there.

There is also a very faint whine in the Transfer case in 4LO. You have to listen hard to hear it. Not sure if this is a normal sound for this model or not. Any comments appreciated! Have a good weekend!

Here's a pic of life in Oz during mid winter!

DSCF2455.JPG

Thanks to Vsicks Pathy for pointing me here!

Edited by SteveWA

I was just reading a thread about someone that reckoned they could still drive with the T-Case in N....found it hard to resist but didn't comment being the new guy!!!! sssh

See my edit...Thanks for pointing me in this direction!  :cool2:

Enjoy. I have fun here. Some would say that I was a sh!t stirer. Its all good though.

Actually, I think ALL would say V6 is a sh!t stirrer, but it's all good. He makes things interesting. Welcome to the board! :beer:

Edited by Simon

See my edit...Thanks for pointing me in this direction!  :cool2:

Enjoy. I have fun here. Some would say that I was a sh!t stirer. Its all good though.

*gasp* you dont say!?

some might say I'm sarcastic too...

pfft what do they know?

Welcome to the board SteveWA

Welcome to the board, Steve.

And to answer your question about the T-Case whine, that is normal. In 4-lo, the transfer case gears are turning 4x as fast as the transmission and differential. The whine is simply the gears moving so fast.

When in 4-lo, you should keep it under 25mph at all times. I try to not exceed 20 in 4-lo. If I can go that fast, I'll kick it into high-range. :aok:

I was just reading a thread about someone that reckoned they could still drive with the T-Case in N....found it hard to resist but didn't comment being the new guy!!!! sssh

please do, what happened was the former owner, my sister, said she had the 4x4 shifter in n, as sone has i heard that i was like :confused: but i didnt say anything to her

Hey Steve, and welcome ! You should be able to average 16-18 MPG no problem. The rest depends on tire size, driving habits, vehicle condition and traffic level. Is your an auto ? If so, put on an aftermarket tranny cooler and bypass the stock one ! If you don't know when the oils have been replaced, change them all. Other than that, she should be basically trouble free. Check 'common problems and fixes' in the garage/tech section as a start. Good to have you, and thanks for the recruit V^ !

B

Hey Steve, and welcome ! You should be able to average 16-18 MPG no problem. The rest depends on tire size, driving habits, vehicle condition and traffic level. Is your an auto ? If so, put on an aftermarket tranny cooler and bypass the stock one ! If you don't know when the oils have been replaced, change them all. Other than that, she should be basically trouble free. Check 'common problems and fixes' in the garage/tech section as a start. Good to have you, and thanks for the recruit V^ !

B

Thanks for the welcome! Forgot to mention it's a manual. One last Q for now, how big is the tank? Going to buy it today I think. And the dealer will put a new clutch in it so I should be driving it by mid next week.

Edited by SteveWA

B

Thanks for the welcome! Forgot to mention it's a manual. One last Q for now, how big is the tank? Going to buy it today I think. And the dealer will put a new clutch in it so I should be driving it by mid next week.

80 ltrs I think Steve?

Thanks 6.  Fill me in what's WD21?  I assume the 90-95 WG21 is the section I should be reading.

WD21 all. The only difference between the years are the amount of doors. :D

You have a Pm too. The whole board is good value. Hence, the PM. LOL. Page two is where it starts to get good.

Edited by Vsicks Pathy

I guess I should add that I was born and raised in Colorado. Joined the Military after High School went to Gulf War part one. Met this nice Aussie girl when we stopped here on our way back to the states. 6 months later when my time was up I got out and moved here. And been here ever since. It's a fantastic place to live!!

I guess I should add that I was born and raised in Colorado.  Joined the Military after High School went to Gulf War part one.  Met this nice Aussie girl when we stopped here on our way back to the states.  6 months later when my time was up I got out and moved here.  And been here ever since.  It's a fantastic place to live!!

Welcome again then. I am on the other side of this Island in Victoria. :beer:

And no, we don't hold you repsonsible for George W. I am sorry about Howard though. :lol:

Edited by Vsicks Pathy