WD21 Speedo issues

Precise1

Drove the truck 25 miles, everything is fine. I get on the freeway, run the gears, wait 2 minutes and I'm at 3000 rpm, 5th gear. This is about 68-70 with 31" tires. I do that habitual speedo glance and it says 20 mph. WTF ?? All other gauges are fine and the odometer works. I watch it for a bit as it drops slowly to 5 mph, then slowly wavers between 5 and 15 mph. I had the stereo cranked, and killed it to see if it was some sort of power draw issue. No difference. Truck runs fine. About 3 miles later, it snaps up to 65 and indicates variances fine. Stop at the store, restart and go home, it works fine. Wierd !!

Anyone ever see this ? I can understand total failure (o mph) and even it working again, but to read low and waver has me confused. No, I haven't done any homework/searches yet; I hoping someone can give me a place to start. I'm far better with mechanics than electrons. Any ideas folks ? Thanks...

B

I think i remember reading something about a Vehicle Speed Sensor somewhere around the transfer case I only remember becasue I just found that I had a failed 4WD sensor). Lemme go check and see where it is, but you might want to test that and see if it's grounding out on the case like my switch did....

Hmmmm... thinking... thinking... thinking

I recall these are electric speedos, right? I can't remember, even though I had to pull mine out for a different problem.

Mine would not go back to zero - would stick at 20 or so, then once accelerated up to 40 or so it would jump up and read fine.

Turned out that was a bent needle problem. It gets so freakin' hot here the plastic needle softened and the internal stresses resulted in the needle bowing back until it touched the face of the gauge. Sounds different, but worth a quick looksee.

Rightieo... Tomorrow I look for/at the vehicle sensor speed thingie and any connections (I'm sure I had it apart when I pulled the tranny last year) and will see if the speedo needle has deformed. It has been hot here and the truck not driven much so it sits with the windows up... I'll chime back in tomorrow.

I really should study electronics; I'm not an idiot, just never really needed to mess with things. Any suggested reading ?

B

Coil eh ? Blah, hope not...

Thanks 'rilla !! That saved me some homework. Much appreciated ! I haven't messed with it yet, maybe not till tomorrow. It would have to be the top most unit, that thing is a PITA to even see, much less do anything with !! I check wires and connections first. :(

B

Another long shot:

My nephew's eurovan had intermittent fuel and temp gages. Work sometimes, not others. Dismantled gages, checked all connections, all looked good. Still no worky. Since it was two unrelated gages, we still suspected the instruments rather than sending unit.

Got the magnifier out and started inspecting all the connections on the PCB (printed circuit board) in the instrument panel Found 3 cracked solder joints. Reflowed them and everything worked fine.

Turned out that was a bent needle problem. It gets so freakin' hot here the plastic needle softened and the internal stresses resulted in the needle bowing back until it touched the face of the gauge. Sounds different, but worth a quick looksee.

Same thing happened to mine.. then.. while playing capatain save-a-hoe to a bug stuck behind the clear dash plastic.. I snapped the needle off with the pen I was poking the bug with... can we say DUH? exclamation.gifexclamation.gif

Just a brief update. Checked wires, connectors, etc everything looks fine. Speedo had not done the wierd bit again (not like I drive much or far right now) so I'm going to follow the 'if it ain't broke, dont fix it' policy. :shrug:

Thanks for all the input, hopefully I won't need to persue it farther.

B

is the needle bent (melted) and touching the back of the faceplate...i've gone thru 2 needles since i got my truck and the sun hits that side and melts it enough to where it gets against the faceplate...mine wont drop below 25 and it hangs up at like 45 until u hit about 60 or so then it'll jump up and gets stuck again and if u hit 85 or so it'll jump again...if u beat on the dash mine will go up to the speed ure' going...donno if that applies at all but its what i've had mine do

I just heat up the needle and bent it back... but that only lasted until temps started exceeding 105 again. It has now crept back and is starting to rub again.

This time, I'll heat it, bend it back, and then epoxy a straight pin or sewing needle to the back of the needle to brace it straight.

This time, I'll heat it, bend it back, and then epoxy a straight pin or sewing needle to the back of the needle to brace it straight.

Atta Boy McGuyver!!!! :P

Sounds like an excellent idea.

well thats what i did...but it broke when i was puttin it back on so it's been super glued a couple times with several chunks missing here and there...cuze no1 will sell u just a needle they want u to buy the entire speedo...

but this next sem im gonna CNC me a new 1 that wont melt again...but till then i think im fixing to paint a toothpick white and make a hole with a strait pin and press her on

is the needle bent (melted) and touching the back of the faceplate...

OOps, sorry, didn't mention that... Needle seems fine, not noticably bent; it has 1-2mm clearance. Haha, good thinking mws. LOL unccp, a 'billet' needle !! Cool !! Make it out of aluminum, polish it, cross drill it both ways and put a glow in the dark strip on the end like a pistol sight... You'll have the coolest speedo needle ever !! :D

B

is the needle bent (melted) and touching the back of the faceplate...

OOps, sorry, didn't mention that... Needle seems fine, not noticably bent; it has 1-2mm clearance. Haha, good thinking mws. LOL unccp, a 'billet' needle !! Cool !! Make it out of aluminum, polish it, cross drill it both ways and put a glow in the dark strip on the end like a pistol sight... You'll have the coolest speedo needle ever !! :D

B

Plus, he'll have +5Hp for a mod like that!!! :P

I guess my 88 had suffered the bent needle problem, so says the former owner who cut it in half :wacko: . I took a piece of plastic and grafted it onto the remainder because I couldn't tell where it was actually pointing.

Gee, thanks lgranch !! :D

I love it GG, the PO fixed it by breaking it !! :P

unccp, just think, if you cross drill it well, you won't have the weight of it slowing down your motor when it is rising !! :P And if you need extra HP, put "Type R" stickers on the fenders, that'll have you smoking tires !! :aok:

B

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after behaving for a while, the speedo needle did the slomo funky chicken again... This time I figured out what causes it. HARD right hand cornering like you do on a freeway on ramp with a short runway. I'll check the wiring again tomorrow to see if anything is getting pulled. At least I have some idea and a place to start now...

B