Drive train thump

Guest roadie

91 Pathfinder four door, five speed. When I pull away in first gear I hear a thump sound from the drive train and when looking at the stick shift, you can see the transmission rock down slightly. This is intermittent and occurs just after pulling away from a full stop and only in first gear after the clutch has engaged. Almost like the drive train is engaged, something slips and then slides back into place. My first thought is u-joints. Have there been other problems with this vintage and relating to other fault areas?

I have inspected underneath and things look fine. Thanks.

• 4 years later...

Well I have a similar thump and mine is due to the fact that the bushings in the rear trailing arms are shot so i got bad axle wrap and alot of movement in the rear. If you find that the bushings are done if you wanna upgrade the rear end linkage have a look at this thread, steevo has a solution:

Replacement links

Ahh, I meant to respond when I read this at work, but I guess I was distracted by work...

U joints is the first thing I would look at. When mine failed recently, they made little noise themselves but made a clunking noise (almost always 1st and second gear) as they were shaking the tranny around. Mounts are a possibility, but check the uni's first. Jack up the rear end (jack stands and brace/block the front wheels well) and start it and put it in gear. Now look underneath... The rear of my tranny was being jerked around violently. :shrug:

B

i've got the same thing going on...i'm writing it off as the u-joints...i've noticed it in 1st and sometimes in 2nd...my buddies bronco was slamming a lot harder than mine and he replaced all of his joints and it went away...i need to get onto it before something bad happens...but thats why i was carrying trail spares for both front and rear driveshafts...

The u joint must be the ones on the rear drive shaft because there wouldnt be one on the rear axle as it is fixed right?

Yes. That is my guess but do not discount 87pathy's guess either as it may be a contributor or the issue its self. Easy enough to check.

It is hard to diagnose online, we can only suggest and recommend from personal experience and mechanical knowledge... :shrug:

B