When you bought your Pathy....

Slick

OK! I couldn't resist! I want to know what made everyone decide to buy a Pathy over other vehicles? What year, model, auto or manual tranny,how many doors does your Pathy have? What really sealed the deal? Was it because it was free? cheap? good looking? reliable? Tell me!

As for me? Well.. as most of you know, I had my '90 Jeep Wrangler as my primary vehicle, which was fine cuz I loved my Jeep and all that, but when it came time to go somewhere where I wanted to take more than 1 other person, or somewhere my Jeep wouldn't be safe.. I needed another rig.

I started looking at 4 runners because they had more room but were still 4 wheel drive,(at the time I had NEVER HEARD of a Pathfinder!) when one of my good friends said he had a Pathy for sale. My first brand new car in 1986 was a Nissan, and I have owned 1 other Nissan car b 4 that, so I knew they were good cars.The guy gave it to him in lieu of $$ he owed my friend for other mechanical work on his motorhome, and he would sell it to me for the price he was owed. $3,600. I hesitated..went to see it...liked the color and the 4 doors, 5 spd, and how super clean inside it was and how good the body was.. drove it.. locked up one of the front brakes testing the brakes.... got back to his house.. and off to the bank we went! That was in September 2003.

$3,600 I got a 1992 Nissan Pathfinder XE with 114,000 miles on it, super clean and ran great! I have never looked back. (it KBB'd @ $5,685 at the time)

I sold the Jeep when it came to the crunch last summer..and although I do not regret that decision.. I do miss the Jeep ocasionally. I was just one of the lucky ones I guess.... (at finding a Pathy!)

So! that's me! what about YOU! -bounce-

Edited by Slick

For me it was the price and the situation :-)

I had gotten rid of my 94 GMC 4x4, and had been driving my little VW for about 6 months when a friend at work mentioned that one of his buddies had a 4x4 for sale for $500.

Seeing how I was tired of being city-locked in my VW, I went and checked it out that night, and with all the S&R goodies figured I couldn't go wrong. Talked the guy down to $450 and picked it up the next day :-)

I looked at every SUV of comparable size on the market. I chose the Pathfinder because it had the best track record, and the best ride of all the vehicles I test drove.

And, I got mine for a STEAL....

99 Pathy in 2002, 34k miles. BB Retail was $21,800 on it. Trade in was $16,500. I got it for $15k flat. :beer:

I looked at every SUV of comparable size on the market. I chose the Pathfinder because it had the best track record, and the best ride of all the vehicles I test drove.

And, I got mine for a STEAL....

99 Pathy in 2002, 34k miles. BB Retail was $21,800 on it. Trade in was $16,500. I got it for $15k flat. :beer:

Thats a great deal for that low mileage at the time Dan!

I got mine also in 2002, Dec. 26 to be exact...I remember because it was the day after christmas.

Test drove all makes and models...almost bought a Subaru... :o

But the last place of the day we checked out, had two Pathy's a gold and a black one. Both looked immaculate. I test drove the black one and was hooked. After haggling with them for like an hour, finally struck a deal. Knocked them down from $14999 to $12k out the door. Had 63k miles.

I was in need of a vehicle and decided that I wanted a 4X4 SUV... it HAD to be 4WD and since I already had an '83 Toyota 4X4, the extra room that an SUV offered was a plus.

I was originally looking for a Toyota 4Runner, but those tend to cost more. Then one day, while shopping I ran across a black '89 Pathfinder (4X4, Auto). I did not like it's looks as much as that of Toyota's, but it did seem a little appealing to me.

Although not liking the auto tranny I decided to test drive it anyway. That was the guy's plan, it drove great... but while out on the test I pulled off and checked the oil.. thickest oil I have ever seen in an engine! Oh and if you got on it REAL hard from a stop the tranny slipped a little. :angry:

When I returned he had the paperwork waiting for me... I told him how great the truck was and how smoothly it drove… then I told that him that after seeing the oil I would never buy a thing from him, laughed, tossed him the keys and left.

Skip forward a few days in my search... ran across a Burgundy '88 with a 5spd. Problem with it was high mileage. Decided to drive it anyway.. which it drove great. Made an extra stop to make sure the 4WD worked.. no problems there. Also checked the oil ;)

Figured this was probably the one I wanted, but with the high mileage the price was still a little high. Got back to the lot and began battling with the salesman.. Finally two day's later we came to an agreement... went back the next day and wanted to test drive it again before buying. The salesman I dealt with was not there so I was dealing with the owner of the lot... he reluctantly let me drive it again :crazy:

Got back ready to buy it and the lot owner said “no way.. not for that price!”. He wanted $1000 bucks more than the price I agreed to. Said that the truck was on consignment from a new car lot and he could not sell it for any less :rolleyes: We argued back and forth about it. He was a major jerk and it ending in myself telling him to "go *@%# himself" and I walked out.

Next day the salesman I called me back. Asked me what happened and I told him... couple hours later he called back and said he talked to the owner and the new car lot and they agreed to my price. Now it was my time to make a move... I told him after the treatment I got the price would now have to drop by another $500 or no deal.

Two day's later I got the call... bought it that day discounted another $500 :aok:

Since then I have "almost" regretted buying it... but the problems I had early on are over now and I am happy with it :D

Ok about the question... it was purely price... that was the reason I bought it.

Edited by RedPath88

#1) Reliability: My old 720 KingCab 4x4 was the best vehicle I have ever owned. I still wonder if I should have rebuilt it, but due to situations regardless of hindsight, it wasn't practical. Ok, so Nissan proved its self. I did a lot of research and found that the body, drive train and engine of the Pathy is excellent. I thought about a PU, but I don't need one much and was sick of hauling other peoples crap for 10 years and liked the idea of locking things on a trip.

#2) Price: For anything comparable, the pathy was the best buy by far. I could have gone lower maybe with a trooper, but I'm not dumb. I wanted another Nissan.

#3) I like the simple lines of the truck (with the fender bulges). Clean, straight with a hint of tough. Just like me... :blink: Just kidding. I was looking for the lowest trim I could find. I DONT want whoopdie power gizmos on a truck I plan to wheel. The lighter and simpler the better ! If I could have found manual windows, I'd be happier.

I'm still happy, but still have to correctly fix the damage I did on that dark rainy morning in the parking lot when I spaced out and rammed the light pole. BUT we wont go into that !!!

B

Great guys! :clap: keep 'em comin.. it's very interesting to see how everyone came upon their Pathys...

V6.. if you don't have anything to say in relation to this post... please don't post at all :contract: (I do enough of that for everyone! lol)

Edited by Slick

91 with 110,000 miles. Found it on Ebay for $1100. When I looked at it it would not run, have only a few wheel studs per wheel and was very dirty. The not running part was simply bad wires that the guy was too dumb to figure out. I bought and fixed it in his driveway and drove it off. A couple of hundred later it was very drivable. THEN......

If the wire comes off of the oil sender the guge does not register 0 pressure. It was "my fault " and it toasted the #2 rod to the crank. My son needed a project to work on for his auto tech college so he rebuilt it. Now I have over $1500 in the motor alone.

I have always wanted one ever since they came out because of the looks. So when it was time for a new ride i looked for one and i found it. One of the happiest days of my life -bounce- :cool2:

post-1-1122903435.jpg

Most people here (AU) have either a @!*%ota or a Patrol. I wanted something different

Slick, I believe he was on topic in his own special way...

V6, I understand you wanting something different, but you don't like the patrol ? Other than being smaller I thought they were fine vehicles... Whats your thought ?

B

-They're small - lightweight w/ a V6

-Bulletproof engines/tranny/xfer case/diffs

-6" full tube frame not C-channel

-Ladder bar suspension

-the IFS has a very narrow center and lots of travel

-wheel base - take off and come down angle.

-Mine has manual hubs which I like - I've got brand new Mile Markers on the way!!! YAY! :)

Let's face it if you don't drive a pathy you're just an uncool mental patient! LOL!

Clay ;)

Edited by Clayman

I drive a Pathy but I am still an uncool mental patient..hehe.. and you'll lOVE the MM hubs.. I installed some a few months ago! :cool2:

And now...... back to the subject...

Oh! and B.. I am glad you can understand V6... cuz I am totaly lost with his posts..most of the time...lol

Most people here (AU) have either a @!*%ota or a Patrol. I wanted something different

Slick, I believe he was on topic in his own special way...

V6, I understand you wanting something different, but you don't like the patrol ? Other than being smaller I thought they were fine vehicles... Whats your thought ?

B

I knew what I was going to do to to Pathy before I bought it. :D They are a mid to small 4x4 which has heaps of advantage over the larger and heavier Patrols. Not only that, The Patrol is full size an off road car where as the Pathfinder is more of a tourer. The Pathfinder, being a tourer is by far the more pleasent looking (sporty) and comfortable of the two.

I love the Patrol. Problem there is, so does everyone else. :angry::D

The other thing is, I have 100% bragging rights as to the most modified Pathfinder in OZ. Now, that doesn't happen everyday. :clap:

Edited by Vsicks Pathy

My story is actually on my website... we were looking for a new vehicle for me as my 1990 Mazda Pickup wasnt doing so well, when we found & bought the Xterra... a few months later I was still searching for new wheels. I hate car shopping. HATE. I dont use the word hate much, as it's a very strong word, but I hate car shopping. At this time we had been wheeling the X, and were involved with the Xterra club, and had a connection with the local Nissan dealership.

What I wanted was a pickup truck... a 4 door at that... which left for slim pickin's, esp with my budget. so it seemed everything I would go truck hunting I would have to set my mind to getting a car instead... I had it narrowed down to the Toyota Matrix, and the Mazda Protegé 5... but then I was getting too picky... if I was going to have a car instead of the truck I wanted, I had to have 5 speed, sunroof, and the colour I wanted. Could you be anymore difficult pezzy?? Why yes, enter my small budget.

So, pretty much giving up on the search once again - my husband says one morning 'What about the Pathfinder???' hmmm... why not... Ive always liked them... so he did a search on auto trader, and came up with a few... one of which was at our dealership... EXCELLENT!!

So we called the service advisor there about it, he said it had just come in, they still had to do a once over of it, and would let us know... it turned out to be in great shape, with decent mileage (odd how we use KM's here, yet we still call it mileage?? anywho...) So we headed down to test drive it, and I liked it right away. My hubby was pretty surprised when I said, lets get it! right away... I tend to want to think about it, to be sure...

We got a great deal on the truck from the dealer, and we traded old puttputt in (*sniff*), quite a few tears were shed, but I have to say this past winter was so much better knowing that it would start in the morning, and stop on the highway! :)

I thought it looked cool and wanted a vehicle with 4 wheel drive. I got a pretty good deal on her too. I got it for around 1,300.

When deciding I was telling my dad that AT LEAST ILL GET BETTER GAS MILAGE!!! Oh I got it but not by much. My old car had a 302 in it though. But I love her like no other :)

Rami

to be honest. It showed up at my front door. my dad picked it up from one of his friends for cheap. BUT i was looking at one before I got it. IF he hadn;t of got me it I would of went out and bought one myself. They are a decent price and I like the look. ;) gunna lift it pritty soon. as soon as I get loud!

This is actually my first car that my dad bought for me (I have an '02 SE Pathfinder) this January, and even though I have nothing to compare to, this is one of the best cars that I have been around. What made me want to get one, was I guess the fact that it looks really cool, and I just wanted anything 4x4. :aok:

I wanted an SUV, and I'm not a fan of domestics. I was looking at the 4Runners, but around here, they're about 5G's more, comparably equipped. So I took a look at a few Pathy's, and settled on mine. It's a 95, bought in 2001. 100,000Kms for $9600CDN.

Pretty good deal.

I've never regretted it.

I wanted an SUV, and I'm not a fan of domestics.    I was looking at the 4Runners, but around here, they're about 5G's more, comparably equipped. 

I work in forestry in BC, was “downsized” ;) and decided to start my own company. Needed a 4WD that could do double duty with the family, especially in winter. Looked at 4Runners (a 92 4cyl w/o air for $13,000 :crazy: ) and then Pathys, as noted by Simon 4Runners are about $5,000 cdn more for similar equipment/mileage. Pathys have the same reliability, fuel consumption and do what I need for off-road.

Was originally looking at 98-2000 but for only a bit more was able to get my 2002. Was originally looking at 5 spd, but this 02 with auto/All Mode 4WD came up, 62,000 km, for $22,000 cdn so picked it up (wife prefers the auto as well). This was about $3,000 less than other 02 Pathys but it needed new tires, windshield and has a fair amount of rock chips on the front of the hood (but it is a bush truck, so I did not care). It was a lease return available “as is” from an auto broker subject to any safety issues being dealt with, so it got a complete break job as part of the price ($900). Am very happy with the All Mode transfer case :aok: , it will be hard replacing that feature in my next truck.

Any modifications are governed by business needs, so am not looking at lifts or performance increases. Long term reliability is important, can not leave clients waiting if the truck breaks down (it happened with the car before this :furious: ). If it proves to be not reliable enough (if I lose work), it will be gone in a heartbeat.

Will