Air Compressors

red-finder

My onboard air is a high volume hand pump... :P I think the biggest complaints about the little compressors is that they take for ever, although it is far better than nothing ! Notes about the one you listed. 0-35 PSI in 2 minutes... For what, just the line, a soccer ball or 33x12.5" tires ? Also, 35-45 psi could take 5 minutes. The higher the pressure the slower they go. Flow up to 2.543 (lol) cfm. I bet that is rated flow at 1 psi continuously. Not telling you not to buy it, just pointing out the incomplete information. Don't want you to get it and be pissed. As for hard wired compressors, can't help you there, but it seems simple to do. 88's CO2 tank seems like a good idea; you can always fill it with air also...

B

I keep a cheap little compressor in my truck, it takes about 15min to fully inflate a 31x10.5, but it's better than nothing. Mine is rated at a max pressure of like 175psi, but I'd hate to wait for it to build up that much, it'd probably take a day or 2. I have been looking at another one that has a higher output to perminantly mount in the truck, but I have other things to buy first. Since I have A compressor, an upgrade is secondary to the need of equipment I don't have yet.

That is nice, but the price is too. I was wanting something that is reliable, but not so expensive. I have heard some good things about these too. They aren't to expensive. I just want something to air up tires and not take all day.

Viair Tornado III

Vengeful, when you install yours take some pics. I would like to see where you mount it. I know I don't have much room under the hood.

Mine's going to go in the back...I'm working on a mount for it that would attach to the tire hump on the drivers side of the cargo area...in hopes of somewhat hiding the missing panel there, and also offering some sort of protection to my fire extinguisher and EMT bag. I will take pics though...it's gonna be sweet.

Another reason behind me wanting to get this bigger compressor is so I can use it to run air tools, and quickly air up several trucks after a day of wheeling.

Nice. As I've found out, a 5-lb CO2 tank doesn't last long, though you can crank up the output pressure to 150 psi and fill a 33x13.50 from 10 to 28 psi in about 30 seconds. :D

You need at least a 10 lb tank(preferably a 15 lb) for more serious use and longer-lasting air time. Only thing about the CO2 tank is it costs about $1 per pound to refill and only welding or compressed gases companies can refill it for you. A electric compressor costs more initially, but if you use it often enough it'll be very worth it. Particularly if you have a cheapie auxiliary tank to fill in the back you can use for more capacity.

I have a VIAIR P400 and I LOVE IT! it airs up and down (sand rail, Pathy, truck on 35's..and even passersby) and has been super reliable with little or no maintenance. Hooks to your battery, and comes with a 30ft stretch air hose with air pressure gauge attached to the main end of the hose. The little sucker gets hot after airing up 4 tires..but give her 15 mins...and she's back in action.

Actually I'll be doing a set-up lickitty split for my pathy here.... I use the rear bumper for an air tank and use an el-cheapo compressor. I'll take some pics after I get it built. Cheaper pumps are lower Amperage(good) which also equals lower cfm(bad)... but if you only have to maintain pressure in a tank... you have a large built up supply to handle the big initial hit - i.e re-inflating a tire pushed off it's rim. And, You can always top your tank up at the shop.... don't have to make the little guy do it all.

Clay :)

Edited by Clayman

Has anyone tried the "Caddy Compressor" mod -using one or two GM air ride compressors to fill up a 3 gal. or so tank? I was considering the viability of the project recently, but got sidetracked. I've seen a few on the web, but no first or even second hand experience stories from anyone yet.

Maybe I'll be the NPORA poineer and finally beat 88 to an offroading mod. :D

*lost in delusions of grandeur*

I have seen plenty of 3, 6, 10, gallon air tanks that are just for air storage. Those work in a pinch, are easy to set up in series with a compressor and probably more reliable, useful, portable and with more capacity than a bumper.

88, how many fills do you get out of a 5lb CO2 tank for your 33's (say from 10 to 25 lbs) and starting from what pressure ? I'm guessing the tank is 2 gallons max ??

B

Gulp. It's not too often I fess up to things like this, but I did pick up one of those compressors from Pep Boys while on sale for $49.95. I generally steer well away from imported crap and will eventually have a dependable on board compressor.

But lately, every $$$ I have seems to be going towards our tow van. So I compromised my better judgement and ethics and bought one.

We wanted a 12V compressor to have with us when dirtbiking. Between all the trucks, trailers, and flats on the motorcycles, a portable source of air is a very good thing. Up 'til now, we just brought along a charged 11 gallon tank and a hand pump. Run off the tank 'til empty, then make the kids pump it back up with the hand pump while we cheer them on and toss back a few barley pops... But now the kids are getting big enough to stage a successful revolt against the oppressive and malevolent seniors, so we need a new option.

These appear to put out about 10X more air than the typical dime store 12V compressors. I plan to drain a 31x10.5 tire and time how long it takes to refill it soon.

Will probably still bring the tank along - it's real handy as it can dump a lot of air very quickly. Fill up the tires, then throw the tank back in the truck and turn the compressor on and re-charge as you drive. Let the passengers monitor and determine when to shut it off.

Has anyone tried the "Caddy Compressor" mod -using one or two GM air ride compressors to fill up a 3 gal. or so tank? I was considering the viability of the project recently, but got sidetracked. I've seen a few on the web, but no first or even second hand experience stories from anyone yet.

Maybe I'll be the NPORA poineer and finally beat 88 to an offroading mod. :D

*lost in delusions of grandeur*

Meh. Caddy compressors are slow, low flow, and were never meant for repeated continuous use. I had one in my garage for a long-ass time, ended up selling it for $5 at a garage sale cause nobody else wanted it.

I have seen plenty of 3, 6, 10, gallon air tanks that are just for air storage. Those work in a pinch, are easy to set up in series with a compressor and probably more reliable, useful, portable and with more capacity than a bumper.

88, how many fills do you get out of a 5lb CO2 tank for your 33's (say from 10 to 25 lbs) and starting from what pressure ? I'm guessing the tank is 2 gallons max ??

B

'Bout 15 to 18 tire refills, I'd estimate. Couldn't say for sure. I used the last tank for air-sweeping a bit of my garage though, so I wasted some. I don't have a tank pressure gauge hooked up on mine, just output pressure on the regulator. Wish I did, actually. Lemme go look and see what the liquid capacity is...doesn't say. Tare weight's 7.5 lbs, though.

I dunno about the portable tanks, they seem to equalize out awful quick and require refilling.

Run off the tank 'til empty, then make the kids pump it back up with the hand pump while we cheer them on and toss back a few barley pops... But now the kids are getting big enough to stage a successful revolt against the oppressive and malevolent seniors, so we need a new option.

AAAAHAhahahahaha!

That's some funny sh*t, man. Have you ever read Harry Harrison's Stainless Steel Rat series? You remind me of his style.

Slick I was looking at that Viair you have that is nice and looks like it would work pretty well. I have one of the regular Campbell Hausfield portable tanks. If you fill it up to about 85 psi it will fill one tire before it equalizes. When you guys get your hardmounted ones installed post some pics. I haven't decided to hard mount one or keep one portable.

That's some funny sh*t, man. Have you ever read Harry Harrison's Stainless Steel Rat series? You remind me of his style.

I've never heard of him...

I wrote it down and will be seeking out at the bookstore on my next visit!

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

FYI, you guys who got the MV50 got a good deal.

I've seen tests performed by members of other 4x4 discussion forums that show the MV50 is faster than a QuickAir2, which costs over $200.

I own a QuickAir2, and a buddy of mine has the MV50. In a head-to-head comparison, we aired up a pair of 32" tires from 15 psi. After 1 minute, the MV50 had increased the pressure to 30psi, while the QuickAir2 only got to 29psi.

The MV50 seems to be pretty good. At just 50 bucks it's a steal.